Black Fridays Past...

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

horsemama

MHH Member
Jun 22, 2011
Last year I went out on Black Friday and had a great time. The people were mostly good natured, and happy to chat. I got a large stuffed dog at one store and I enjoyed the strange looks I got with him hanging out of my cart. Maybe they thought I brought my dog with me? Anyway, I do a mix of in store and online. JC Penney had great deals on their boots for Black Friday last year. I don't have any malls nearby, it's at least a 45 minute drive to the nearest one. I miss that because stores don't decorate much anymore. I miss the music and decorations that the malls had.

Reactions: Minta

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
They did release a list of sears and kmart stores that will be closing by the end of the year but not all are closing.
Oh, that is good news! I am glad to hear that. We just got a Kmart toy catalog in the mail so I am more hopeful that Kmart will remain open for this Christmas.

Reactions: Minta

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
I haven't even started thinking about BF shopping yet this year but you are SO right! It's time!!! :)

Okay, maybe a little early but still :D

I like the idea of making a list of things to try for - I've seen enough yearly ads now to kind of have an idea of what things typically are on sale for BF. If anything around the house needs replacing that is a good time of year to do it!!!

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
I am having my kids work on and keep a running list of movies they want .. BF is best time to stock up on DVDs. It also makes it easier when family members ask me what the kids want, especially the family members who are on a budget. Kids are not going care that you were able to get a $20 DVD that they wanted for $6.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Black Friday was quite popular last year which is surprising as we don't celebrate Thanksgiving. I suppose that the retailers will come up with anything to get people to shop. It will be interesting to see if it is a thing again this year.

Reactions: AuntJamelle

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
Washington, the Evergreen State
I think I heard someone say that there were more sales on Prime Day than any Black Friday. I can understand how they calculate the Prime Day sales but how do they come up with the figures from all the stores on Black Friday? There must be some sort of retailers' database where they track all the numbers.

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
Maybe Black Friday is now diluted with sales beginning on Thursdays? Also, have you been hearing about "Black Friday" sales going on ....seems a lot of advertisements are use the words "Black Friday" to promote their sales...just wondering if anyone else noticed.

Last edited:

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I’ve been disappointed in all the Black Friday sales that aren’t even in Nov! Can’t they come up with their own name.

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
I stayed home last year so DS and DDIL could go without taking DGSs with them. I did most of my Black Friday shopping from my living room couch! It was great, but I did miss the adrenaline that comes with being among the crowds. I'll be off on Black Friday this year, thank goodness!

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
Maybe Black Friday is now diluted with sales beginning on Thursdays? Also, have you been hearing about "Black Friday" sales going on ....seems a lot of advertisements are use the words "Black Friday" to promote their sales...just wondering if anyone else noticed.

I have noticed that too. I Don't pay attention to Black Friday sales except for the one in Nov LOL. Thanksgiving week is when I get more then half of our Christmas shopping done.