Freezer Sessions 2019...

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Have made plans for Summer freezer sessions and will do a big prep day with mum in early November. That will give me time to empty the freezer of remaining winter foods. I did buy a bbq chicken on markdown so will pull that apart and use the meat for pizzas etc.
I will stock up over the next few weeks on icecreams and cheesecakes.

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
I've also been clearing out the freezer and pulled a few old things I won't use. It's looking pretty bare. I also got word we'll have our next cow for meat in November, so that will give me plenty of time to use some of what we already have and make up some meals.

I did find a ham on clearance yesterday and separated it last night. It was already sliced, so I can use it for sandwiches or to go with eggs..and then part of it I chopped up. That little ham for $10 will literally be used in nearly 6 meals probably. The diced ham I put in a few different bags so I can use it for soups. I also smoked a huge pork butt on Monday, so that was also sliced and chopped to use later. I'm really trying to move this all up by one month like I've said in the past. I was working elections and still trying to follow my old schedule and it wasn't working. Feeling good at the moment.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
Made and froze two dinners and a cake for later in the month.

Today was one of those days that I was sooo glad that I had planned a menu this week and that I had a frozen dinner thawing in the refrigerator.:D I had an unexpected late afternoon appointment. I got home at 5:10 and had to leave at 6:10 pm for a game. I pulled the meal out of the refrigerator and put it in the oven for 30 minutes, threw some vegetables in the microwave and dinner was ready.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
I find that I need more frozen suppers mid-october and november. Then in December I have a little more time to cook and plenty of time during my Christmas vacations.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
Got two more desserts made and in the freezer. Pulling out another freezer meal tonight. That should be it for making freezer meals for a few weeks. Both freezers are packed.

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
Made a double batch of Philly Cheese Steak Sloppy Joes tonight for dinner and put one serving in the freezer.

https://dinnerthendessert.com/philly-cheese-steak-sloppy-joes/

It's a great way to turn ground beef into a freezer meal. I usually do a batch of this and a batch of regular. Two totally different flavors. Only change is I don't add the cheese until I thaw and reheat.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Had crockpot chicken and mushrooms last night. getting towards the end of the Winter meals, I have been very impressed that mum and I worked for a few hours but prepared enough to last us throughout the Winter,

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
More cabbage rolls in the oven. Getting ready to run up to the orchard to see if they have the apples I want for apple sauce.
I need to check out the Philly cheese steak sloppy joes. That sounds good.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Reactions: Minta

Cindylouwho

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
Just caught up on this thread since I've been off since the last holidays. Wow! You all have been busy! Such great ideas! I LOVE the colored bag idea for the chest freezer! I'm due to work on mine soon since we placed a grass-fed beef order and that's going to create utter chaos in my freezer when it comes in. I really need to revamp my freezer set up.

Also just started my list for freezer cooking and am trying to get into the cooking mode. We've been in summer grill mode but now the weather is starting to change and the fam is now asking when I'm going to make the soups! :)

Been wanting to try cheesecakes in the Instant Pot. Haven't done so yet but that's my plan when I pull myself together. Good to know they freeze well as I haven't tried that yet. I have decided that I've absolutely got to get more baking done in advance this year. It just doesn't happen once the kids get out of school.

I have been having fun with mason jar ice cream over the summer. Super simple: 2 cups whipping cream in mason jar with your flavorings, shake it up til doubled in size and freeze. Looking forward to trying it with some holiday flavors this year.

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
Made 5 lbs of bbq sloppy joes today. Got 2 - 2lbs bags and 2 - 1/2 bags bags worth in the freezer. Roasted a turkey breast today, going to freeze some sliced up turkey for later and the rest will be used for sandwiches this week for the kids school lunches. Saved the carcass to make a batch of turkey noodle soup either Tuesday or Wed.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I have been having fun with mason jar ice cream over the summer. Super simple: 2 cups whipping cream in mason jar with your flavorings, shake it up til doubled in size and freeze. Looking forward to trying it with some holiday flavors this year.
This sounds great. About to enter Summer here so worthwhile remembering.

Reactions: Ahorsesoul

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
Picked up a bushel of local farm fresh corn. Took out 1/2 dozen for dinner last night and tonight. The rest I blanched this morning, cut the kernels off and filled up several freezer bags. Got 2 freezer bags filled full, 1 for Thanksgiving dinner and 1 for Christmas dinner. I felled 5 more bags freezer bags but just not as full to be used in corn chowder and veggie soups over the winter.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Minta, a good deal on the corn, so versatile. Sounds like you are doing well.

Cindylouwho

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
Minta ~ I used to spend my summers on my Aunt & Uncle's farm in the midwest. Fond memories. I remember all the fresh corn coming in and my Aunt would do the same thing. :)

Over here I have a grass-fed beef order coming in by the end of the week. It comes in frozen, and last time it really threw off my game as I was into freezer cooking. How can I freeze them in marinade if they are already frozen? Hmm... How can I create the shortcuts for cooking?

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
Minta ~ I used to spend my summers on my Aunt & Uncle's farm in the midwest. Fond memories. I remember all the fresh corn coming in and my Aunt would do the same thing. :)

Over here I have a grass-fed beef order coming in by the end of the week. It comes in frozen, and last time it really threw off my game as I was into freezer cooking. How can I freeze them in marinade if they are already frozen? Hmm... How can I create the shortcuts for cooking?

Place the froze piece of beef in a freezer bag with the marinade and toss into the freezer until its time to use. When the beef thaws the marinade will soak into it. I do this all the time and haven't had any issues.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Did the groceries today and started to grab a few items to put aside for bulk cooking day in November. Need to still get a few things and then the meat the day before.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
I didn't intend to do bulk cooking this week but ground beef and chicken were on sale. I baked 4.5 lbs of chicken for Chicken Tetrazzini and Chicken Alfredo. 6 lbs of ground beef were cooked up for tacos, sloppy joes, and chili con carne.

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
I finally found my grimes golden apples I wanted for apple sauce. The orchard up the road basically had a total crop failure this year, so sad. So I went somewhere else to get them- way more expensive then I’m used to. Never thought I’d have sticker shock over apples lol. Anyways my frig is full of apple sauce. Will put in freezer bags today. Had apple sauce and toast for dinner last night.