2015 Master Gift Lists

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

ejagno

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Aug 31, 2010
SW Louisiana
How many of you sit down and make a Master Gift Giving list for all of the upcoming special events, birthdays, anniversaries, graduation, baby showers, weddings, good grade awards.........etc?

We talk about our Christmas gift giving lists when in fact we literally spend thousands on all non-Christmas gifts and giving each year prior to Christmas. Any one who has filled 3+ Easter baskets knows that this alone could run over $100 easily. An expecting niece or Forth of July fireworks can throw a budget into chaos quickly.

When I do my weekly savings it includes the estimated costs for the non Christmas gift giving/special events. If I don't take that money and set it aside I spend it on one of the actual gifts or preps for the event.

For example last week I put all of my plastic Easter eggs in a mesh bag and sent them through the dishwasher (heat dry off) to sterilize them. I use my weekly savings amount and got a ton of candy and trinkets on clearance to fill them with. I've decorated a few but put each child's eggs in a separate large Ziploc bag with their name on it. Now when it comes time to make their baskets all I do is pour the eggs out of the bag and into their baskets.

Now is the time to take advantage of the sales for necessities as well. DH uses the same cologne every year and goes through a bottle at least once every couple of months. After Christmas they were on clearance at 1/2 price so I bought enough to last all year.

I'm making the grandchildren quilts for their birthdays this year and our local fabric store has been having some terrific sales so instead of putting that money into an envelope I've bought the material needed for the quilts. Even if you are only sending a card....................have you seen the price of cards my friends?

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
I am incorporating sections into my Christmas notebook for Easter, Halloween, Thanksgiving, kids birthday parties and birthday gifts for various family members. They all do add up and very quickly.

DahliaDoll

Premiere Member
Oct 15, 2007
ejagno ~ Very impressive! I do have a list of all the birthdays, anniversaries and holidays for the year. Don't have any little ones at home, though. And I don't usually have gift ideas ready much in advance. I guess I work better under pressure. Have great ideas at the last minute. You are an inspiration!

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
I do have a thoughts to put paper as what gifts I need for the month and cards. This year I am going to try to do better on cards for the older people for their birthdays. Last week I sent out a card to my great aunt and a nephew and put a lotto ticket in it.

Birthdays are pretty standard ($$) for the kids and then I have little ones.

Christmas I am also planning quilts. Wanted to this past year but I knew time was against me. I have already purchased some of it. The 5 great nieces and nephew, maybe the 2 married nephews one with their wives. Those are the ones planned and not sure if I will add on 3 more or not.

Planning is the KEY!!!!!! And to do it!

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Love this......planning IS the key and I am going to be much more organised this year.

ejagno

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Aug 31, 2010
SW Louisiana
DJ, my children are all grown and gone but I do still have grandchildren, birthdays, graduations, anniversaries, easter baskets, Halloween candy to hand out, Thanksgiving dinners, baby showers, etc...... to prepare for.

Lana, I always gave money also but found out that it wasn't always being spent on the person it was intended for. Lord only knows they have enough toys for several kids so that's when I came up with the idea of useful things that would still be fun so I bought the suitcases, making the quilts and will include a movie/game, treats and PJ's.

ejagno

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Aug 31, 2010
SW Louisiana
Today I found an adorable tutorial on Pinterest for Get Well gift basket ideas that included a bright and easy to make fun fabric Kleenex box cover which even has a pocket for chap-stick, mints or whatever you want to put in there. I made one for my sewing room out of leftover fabric I had used for my drapes. I'm redesigning the way the top cutout is made but it's still precious and makes me smile so I know it'll make others feel better too. I'm going to make up a few of these to keep in my gift closet. I think a matching fun themed pillow case would go well with this as well. Now I can't wait to make me one as well. LOL

tanya

Premiere Member
Jan 8, 2012
Very clever idea.

DahliaDoll

Premiere Member
Oct 15, 2007
Ellen ~ Is there a link to the Kleenex box? Sounds great!