9yr Birthday Goodie Bag Question...

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
So I'm working on DS's 9th birthday party - set for Feb 3rd - and I wanted to run my current plans for goodie bags past you guys.

I struggle with these every year - I don't just want to give cheap junk that costs an arm and a leg and gets tossed because it breaks right away :(

So here is what I am thinking right now - let me know what you guys think!!!

- Glowsticks (2 or 3 bracelet size in each bag)
- Candy, Assorted (small amount, really just getting rid of last of Halloween candy honestly!)
- Chocolate Chip Cookies (Homemade, jumbo size, super good recipe and I was going to use the clear food bags you get in the cake section - have them leftover from Christmas - will slip a couple cookies down inside and then add curled ribbon tied around neck of the bag)
- Dipped Pretzel Rods (Have almond bark, etc. and sprinkles on hand already - thought I could do 3-4 in more food bags from cake section - but is this too much food?)
- Mini Boxes of Cereal + Color Changing Spoon
- Small colorful plastic whistle on stretchy spiral bracelet

All of this will go in plain brown paper sacks I'll decorate the heck out of with brightly colored scrapbook papers.

Does that sound like enough? Too much?

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
Sounds perfect. I like that you are going with consumables. The whistle and spoon are great. If you didn't want to do the whistle you could put in a pack of gum instead.

Just a question to ponder, why do we do goodie bags? Our school wellness policy did not allow for "treats" teachers suggested books, parent comes in and reads it to the class and then donates it in honor of the birthday child. One year the parents decided to send in goodie bags and this became the go to.... We celebrated a birthday for one child and they did not bring goodie bags, another child looked for one and turned to me and asked where his goodie bag was....I was not happy with what had become an expectation. Some of these goodie bags were ridiculous... for example, a mini pair of binoculars. It seemed to become a competition among the parents.

I am thinking the idea of the goodie bag came from the fact the the Birthday Child gets gifts and party guests don't that and they need to have something so they wouldn't feel bad. Their something celebrating, it is a fun time playing games, eating cake and ice cream and being with friends. What the guests need is an written thank you note from the Birthday Child expressing their gratitude for their friendship and the thoughtful gift.

That being said AJ please do not think that I disapprove of your giving out goodie bags. I like what you are doing some parents go over the top. I just think many children have become disadvantage in the art of gratitude,whether it be for a friendship or in giving and receiving.

Reactions: AuntJamelle

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
I think that sounds great and I, too, like that you are doing consumables rather than cheap junk that would most likely get tossed after it was left around my house anyway. Hahaha

Jody- I also never really understood the goodie bag. I guess it's kind of like a thank you for coming to the party. I never understood sending them to school but have seen them frequently at parties and they are handed out as the children leave. My kids hardly ever have birthday parties (i'm a horrible mom) so we never really deal with that. The most we do for birthdays at school is to send in cupcakes. I've probably done a goodie bag once or twice for a birthday party when one of my kids was little and actually had a party (not often).

Reactions: AuntJamelle

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
Mind me asking what the party theme will be?

When my kids were younger the goodie bags went with the theme of the party.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Minta - That is part of my trouble this year - there is no theme like I would normally do. We're having the party at a gymnastics place and they take care of the whole thing. The kids get to play on all the equipment and blow up bounce house things - you take a 1/2 hour to eat and do the cake - which is also provided - and then they play the rest of the time that is left.

Everything is provided - table coverings, paper and plastic - even juice boxes for the kids. We're just bringing pizzas, chips and extra drinks for all. I'm doing a generic Happy birthday sign to hang up.

Having a theme can definitely make the whole decision process easier. But it can also make it more expensive so in a way it's nice this time to not have that as part of the picture.

I hear you, Miss JoDee - the whole goodie bag thing drives me crazy. Around here it is a whole BAG too - not just one item for each child. So I feel the pressure to FILL the bag. I'm feeling a bit better about what I have lined up based on feedback so far. I think it will be ok.

MrsSoup - I highly doubt you are a horrible mom!!! :)

Reactions: Minta

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
Minta - That is part of my trouble this year - there is no theme like I would normally do. We're having the party at a gymnastics place and they take care of the whole thing. The kids get to play on all the equipment and blow up bounce house things - you take a 1/2 hour to eat and do the cake - which is also provided - and then they play the rest of the time that is left.

Everything is provided - table coverings, paper and plastic - even juice boxes for the kids. We're just bringing pizzas, chips and extra drinks for all. I'm doing a generic Happy birthday sign to hang up.

Having a theme can definitely make the whole decision process easier. But it can also make it more expensive so in a way it's nice this time to not have that as part of the picture.

I hear you, Miss JoDee - the whole goodie bag thing drives me crazy. Around here it is a whole BAG too - not just one item for each child. So I feel the pressure to FILL the bag. I'm feeling a bit better about what I have lined up based on feedback so far. I think it will be ok.

MrsSoup - I highly doubt you are a horrible mom!!! :)

Then what you have so far for the bags sound good. If you need another item to fill bag further maybe a water bottle. Kids bound to be thirsty after bouncing around.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
We will have water bottles on hand anyway for that very reason! I think the fact that I am going with a regular sized brown paper lunch sack this year will make it much easier to fill the bag up! I just reinforce the bottom of each bag with packing tape.

Last year I ordered brown paper handled bags and that alone was around $15 - not doing that again!

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Minta , I was thinking the same thing. I would add a small bottle of water. The kids can drink it later and it is big enough to fill the bag.