An Announcement from Cynthia Ewer about the future of OC

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

CEO

Retire Member
Oct 9, 2007
Hello, dear friends. It's me, CEO--although I haven't gone by that nickname in quite a few years. Can we have a chat among "just us chickens", about the future?

I have an important announcement for all of us in the online Christmas community:

I will be retiring at the end of this year, and making big changes to the Web resources I offer at http://christmas.organizedhome.com

It's time! Since 1995, I've published a version of what has become the Christmas Countdown. Moving from e-mail to the Web, and now springing from the Web to social media, the Countdown has been followed by hundreds of thousands of families to prepare for the holiday season.

In recent years, it's become more expensive and more time-consuming to make these resources available. Decline in desktop use means advertising no longer covers direct expenses, while growth in mobile use means it takes more and more work to create a site that will work correctly across multiple devices. The rise of social media has exploded my work day, as I try to route information to all the places where people want to read it.

Translation: I'm out of money, time and energy to keep this operation going at this level any longer. I will be scaling back my online offerings to match what I can afford.

What does this mean for the future of the Christmas Countdown and all the holiday resources I now offer on my Web site network?

In honesty, I can't yet tell--but this is the last year of the Countdown as it is now presented.

Over the coming year, I will retool the site network to bring what I offer into line with available funding, time and energy. I don't yet know what that will mean, and can't make any prediction except this one:

The times, they are a changing'.

Cynthia Ewer, Editor
http://christmas.organizedhome.com

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
You so deserve to retire! Thanks for your time, energy and resources you have shared over the years. You have been a life saver many times.

Lolwlias

Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
Cadyville, NY
I've never run a webpage & can only imagine the time it takes to do so. Enjoy your retirement time!

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
Everyone deserves a retirement to look forward to. Thanks for all you've done!

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
I agree, you deserve your retirement! Thank you for your many years of dedication, we appreciate you!

Cindylouwho

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
THANK YOU, Cynthia, for many saved Christmas mornings. I rely on your plan and intend to turn it over to my own kids when their time comes. Hope it will not disappear completely but rather evolve into something that is more self-managing and that you are happy with as you settle down for a long winter's nap. What a rewarding career to know you have helped bestow so much calm and peace. :)

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
Yes, thank you for the time and talent that you've shared with us. I first came across the Christmas Countdown after dealing with my husband's unforeseen hospital visit a week before Christmas. My oldest was only six months old at the time. I had bought a few little items for her by that point and a few things for my husband. I was glad I did because I never did get a chance to go out shopping again. That Christmas I vowed to be better prepared for the next one. 17 yrs. later, I'm still using the countdown. I, too, plan to pass on your words of wisdom to my children.

All the best in your retirement!

Mary

happy2bme

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
My Happy Place
Thank you, CEO!!

Enjoy your much deserved retirement.

snowqueen

Premiere Member
Nov 1, 2007
Vermont
I too am retiring this year and I understand your feelings. thank you for all you have done to help so many people plan and prepare for the holidays. I have followed you and your plan ever since you started it. I only hope we hear from you in the future. Maybe you will come up with something new and simpler to have fun with. Best wishes, Dorene