Anyone else have trouble taping down brown kraft paper?

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
I absolutely love the look of brown paper packages embellished with Christmas ribbon, etc. but when I finally used the rolls I've been saving forever this year, I ran into a real problem.

The paper is so thick that I literally heard it laughing at me when I tried to use Scotch tape.

Packing tape worked a little better, but not much. The paper was so thick, that folding it just seemed to cause too great a strain on the tape I was using - and I was using big pieces!

Did I just buy the wrong type of paper? I've had these rolls for dogs years, so I have no clue where they came from.

If anyone has some recommendations on where to buy, key phrases to look for on the packaging of brown paper when buying or taping tips I would greatly appreciate it!

:)

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
HHHmmmmm.....I have wrapped with brown craft paper before, and I don't remember having that problem. Maybe the newer isn't as stubborn as the "dog old" kind?!

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
Hmm

Double Sided Tape?

Tacky Glue?

Crease the fold very well with the side of a pair of scissors or something?

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I noticed this when I wrapped a mailing package with packing tape. I made sure all the tape over lapped. Sure would not look good on a package under a tree. Scrapbookers (and car detailers) have a tape called red line tape. I think it would hold. It's sticky on both sides and will hold.

Cindylouwho

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
These papers come in different weights. You probably have the one for boxes that go through the post office. Much heavier. I had the same problem once. After much looking I eventually found a lighter weight paper that was easier to work with. Can't remember where I got it (though i was lucky one year to find white paper at Costco so now have a bunch of that).

Try looking up this on Amazon: Pacon 5850 Pacon Kraft Wrapping Paper, 48" x 200' Roll, Natural

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
I have found the lighter weight at Dollar Tree. That may be why I haven't had a problem with it.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Thanks so much, you guys!!!!!!!

I will try Dollar Tree and Amazon and see if I can find the lighter weight paper!

Love the sound of that white paper! We don't have Costco's around here yet - maybe someday :(

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
I have used white freezer paper to wrap presents. The last time I bought it, it was in the sporting goods section at Walmart instead of with the foil, parchment paper, etc. where I thought it would be. Sometimes after I wrap in white, I'll cover the outside with tulle and tie it with a bow...really makes a pretty gift wrap.

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
I was excited to find some at the dollar tree too this past year. I didn't know they had it there, but I guess they do all the time.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Good to know Dollar Tree should typically carry it - I'll have to check there and compare price vs. how much I would get for the product I found on Amazon!

Also never thought of using freezer paper to wrap gifts!!! And I've certainly never thought of looking for it in the sporting goods section at Walmart - that's brilliant!

I use - ahem, plan to use these days anyway - freezer paper a lot for various crafting purposes and hate how costly it is! Thanks for the tip - on multiple levels! :)