Anyone into healthy alternatives to Holiday Cooking & Baking?

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Cindylouwho

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
Please don't hate on me for bringing this up, but I "suspect" there are a few people on this board besides me that have health issues to watch and I'm wondering if anyone has recipes they are planning to replace with healthier, low-sugar versions over the holidays?

I personally follow a Keto and Intermittent Fasting plan. Originally I was gluten free (and still am) and followed a rough Paleo plan. Keto and IF is new this year. Note all this health stuff goes out the window on holidays and vacations. Well, the intermittent fasting doesn't but that is different.

Anyhow, I of course plan to do full-sugar awesomeness between Christmas and New Years but am trying to avoid excess damage to my system between Dec 1-23. Just baked up a batch of delicious Pumpkin Muffins last night and after doing a quick word search for "Keto" on this forum I found I am not alone! Is there anyone that has gone through a healthy pre-holiday before that might be able to share some tips?

Again, this is for health reasons, not to be a spoiler. I love dark chocolate as much as the next person! :p

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
I think it's a great idea ! will be following the tips people are putting on here.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
No hate! Only love!!! :)

I would say that Pinterest and/or the internet in general is your best friend when trying to cook/bake healthy alternatives - I can share GF baking items I've made (SIL with Celiacs) and WW type dessert recipes. DH was trying Keto for a long time and I've made a lot for that too.

Once you stock up on the various ingredients called for in those types of baking - different types of flours, thickeners and sweetners - it does get easier to try new recipes because you usually have what you need.

There are a couple of brands of sugar free chocolate chips we've used and that DH likes - Hershey's brand is easier to find and less expensive - maybe $4 a bag? Lily's brand is really good too - more like $8 a bag though - from Whole Foods or Amazon.

Not sure if you are looking for Keto recipes now? GF? Low cal? I can throw more thoughts out there depending!!!

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
I have to watch my sodium and sugar intake. I try to make most of our meals from scratch so that I can determine how much salt and sugar to put in. I don't use broth most of the time. I use water instead. However, I do keep a low sodium version of chicken broth paste in the fridge for when dh wants to cook. I usually use a bit less sugar and salt than what is mentioned in any recipes that I use.

I stopped buying snack foods and replaced them with fruits and vegetables. I will buy unsalted crackers and tortilla chips but that is meant to be used with a planned dinner. I usually eat plain oatmeal mixed with water for breakfast since it is a no sodium and no sugar breakfast.

I make home made versions of taco seasoning, Ranch dressing seasoning, Good Seasoning Italian dressing, and bread crumb seasoning. I like using this since I can control the salt and sugar amount in them.

I use fresh or frozen vegetables and fruits instead of canned. That reduces the sugar and salt. I also do not add salt or butter to the vegetables nor do I serve a salad with dressing. I let my family add what they want while I eat my vegetables and salad plain.

There is a decent amount of sugar and salt in jarred tomato sauce. I replaced jarred tomato sauce with home made or canned No Salt Added tomato sauce when in a bind. There is a lot of sodium in one slice of bread so if I splurge and buy deli meat and cheese, I'll skip the bread and roll up the meat and cheese inside lettuce and eat it that way.

We make our Christmas cookies just as they are written. I just don't eat as much as I use to eat. We freeze them and take out only what is needed.

When at a Christmas party buffet, I tend to skip the bread and go for the protein and vegetables. If I can get a sugarless iced tea, I'll drink that. Otherwise it is usually water or coffee with cream that I will drink. (I really miss sugar in my coffee. :() Every now and then I might drink a bit of Coke at a party if it is in a 2 Liter bottle. That way I can just get a taste of it but not drink a full can of it. I will split a cookie with someone if it is one of those jumbo store bought cookies or I'll take a small piece of cake.

My downfall is ice cream. I have not given that up. :p

Reactions: luludou

Cindylouwho

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
Finally I can get back to this! I had no idea Hershey's made SF chocolate chips! I see they have Malitol in them which isn't the best but as an alternative to real ones I will have to try. I use Lilys mostly but will use regular full sugar in my Christmas treats.

For regular everyday items I do:
Mostly protein and veggies. An enormous salad daily.
I make my own mayo and am working on salad dressings. Most out there have GMO Soy.
MonkFruit for a sweetener in pretty much everything.
Pecans and olives are my go-to snack if I snack. But I try not to snack.
Stevia drops in my apple cider vinegar concoction that I drink 2-3 glasses of per day cuz I'm addicted to it.
Chaffles -- which are SO fun! I love these for burger buns and such.
Mug cakes of various kinds using almond flour. Working on holiday flavors. My fave is chocolate of course.
(But DH and the kids like these two so then everyone wants one. Seems silly to make a whole slew of single servings. Need a better plan here).

I keep my carbs to the evening and on occasion I have ice cream, brown rice pasta, wine, 1 slice Gluten Free bread, 1 GF tortilla. But it is occasional and I don't feel deprived cuz if I want it I'm going to have it. But I usually don't. (I'll be sitting down to Snickers Bar with DS on Halloween night). ;)

I would be VERY interested in brands and recipes you all could share as I have NOT done this though the holidays. I have a Keto Cracker recipe I think I'm going to try to make into a Ginger Snap cookie. Have to fuss with it. Should we post recipes right here on this thread or is there somewhere in our recipe section we should post? I'll have to go look at the recipes section.

Holiday Mom -- I love ice cream too! Ate tons over the weekend. Really bad but we were on vacation. (I often make mason jar ice cream with monk fruit as the sweetener ....my family steals that too!)

But right now back to decluttering. DH and I have the entire house torn apart!