August declutter club

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
I plan on working in the basement and on papers for august. we have 2 filing cabinets and I'd like to keep only one.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Scrapbook items

I'm working on scrapbook items. One tote filled with paper and two creative memories sticker totes are gone. I now have a box I'm filling. I have two towel racks that I hang embellishments from. I emptied it so it is down to only 1/4 of one rack that is full.

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
I have a few more items in a pile to give to my sister for the animal shelter.

Hoping if they do our roof and siding in August that when the dumpster gets here we will get rid of some bigger items in it.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
had to make space under the basement stairs so a big empty box is in recycling as well as a few small pieces. 3 rolls of vinyl wallpaper will be donated and 2 old ski racks.

however, got dd's stuff from mil's... a doll carriage, a double-plate heating set and another thingy which is now all in her closet. At some point we lacked space and dd had brought some things over to mil's. Now there is nothing left there of dd's.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
we also gave away 2 bags of protectors for kids (knee-protectors, elbows, etc..) and 1 baseball mitt... dh was to drop it off at dnephew (he has 3 sons)... hoping it doesn't come back!

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I have not really started for August yet as will begin spring cleaning in September. DD went through her cupboard and has a lot of clothes to take to the charity bin. I will do that tomorrow morning if I get the time.

ejagno

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Aug 31, 2010
SW Louisiana
Sometimes decluttering isn't simply getting rid of multiples. Decluttering is so much more than that. Every single one of us from time to time find that our lives have taken a complete 90º turn. As our life changes, our needs, wants and desires need to change with it. Most can easily identify with the "empty nest" syndrome when it fact it happens far more often than just when the kids leave home.

I found that mine really changed when we went from a couple to a family, from babies to toddlers, from toddlers to youngsters, then when they became teenagers and once again when they moved out. Not only did my life change with the children but also as I matured as well as DH.

DH and I use to love to entertain and we always had huge parties. Our home has a full wrap around bar with beer taps, wine fridges, beverage fridge and everything you see in a commercial bar. Year after year it was used less and less. For the past 3-4 years it wasn't used at all and now DH doesn't drink due to diabetes. I was never one to consume alcohol unless it was a special occasion or toast.

This morning we realized that it's no longer a useful part of our lives. This large area would be better utilized as an office for DH. I got my floral hammer and screwdrivers out and did some serious demolition. I am soooo excited to move forward with our newest chapter in our lives.

As for the declutter, lets just say that I filled two commercial garbage cans and I have 5 large boxes of bar items being donated to someone who still loves to entertain. I did keep few bottles of nice wine, bourbon, rum, crown and mixers. The "new" bar is now housed in my beautiful armoire in the dining room. Everything fit perfect and is easy access to the kitchen.

snowlvr

Retire Member
Oct 14, 2007
Western North Carolina
Ellen-that sounds awesome and so very true..DD is going to go to college in a couple of years and I can see some re-arranging in my future too-its good to shake things up!

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com
I am working on getting rid of 'broken' or damaged items that I had "planned" on upcycling. I came to the hard decision that they are taking up valuable real estate in the house - and that I do not need to keep them on an already overburdened to do list (that's creating too much anxiety with very little progress).

First area was the front porch: a credenza and a davenport - both needing wood work and refinishing.

We also came up with a plan for the recycling bins - as it's current location (front porch) is NOT working! DH will build a unit to hold four bins, plus two rubbish bins outside with an overhang roof. Will keep everything much more neat and tidy!

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
I thought I did pretty good in August with the cleaning in sewing room and moving stuff around. I pitched, took stuff to Goodwill twice and gave some stuff away. I do have alittle more to take to my sister for the use at the animal shelter, I have some throws (new in packaging yet to see if my younger sister needs and if not will give to the fire department and then I have a pile of sweatshirts I will see if people want. New ones that I brought to use with sewing but.....

Normally I don't get much done in this thread......but aiming to change things!

tanya

Premiere Member
Jan 8, 2012
I went through a lot of stuff today- looking for my missing ticket- I ended up finding 3 big bags of stuff that I did not need/ want- it is now gone!

Cindylouwho

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
Go team go!! You guys are all so awesome keeping this going through the year. I look forward to coming back on here in the season and getting myself revved up to toss stuff!

I'm late on August but I will be jumping back into this thread for Sept. :) This weekend I decluttered the books. I thinned them last summer but this time I took them all off the shelf and got another 2 boxes ready to go out the door. Was surprised at how dated my home decor books were. Oh my Lord -- very 80s!

HouseElf - I'm dealing with furniture too. A challenge!

Tanya - 3 bags? High five!

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
WTG everyone!

This weekend got rid of a pair of jeans, the were almost new but they are just too small!! dh also got rid of a pair of shorts + dd got 5 college books to give. Small steps!