August Decluttering

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
After living a minimalist life on vacation, I was inspired to try it in real, everyday life. I've gone through my food pantry and reorganized and got rid of expired food (as in three years old).

I sorted through the games, art supplies and book shelves on the first floor. I had three garbage bags of gently used items to take to the thrift store and three trash cans full of items not worthy of passing on.

The garage was decluttered of gardening items, sports equipment and outside toys.

This week, I'm making my way through the basement. It is a lot larger and filled with a lot more with "just in case" stuff. It's been five years for some of these "just in case" items and they haven't been used so they are getting passed on.

How is everyone else doing?

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Good job Mary! you are doing alot.

August is not a good month for decluttering around here as it is too hot. However I do plan to do more decluttering this Fall.

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com
As my DH and youngest son have been away the past two weeks I have taken the opportunity to declutter the bedrooms and go through all the clothes and bedding. Most items are garbage, but a few keepers with repairs needed - buttons mostly :)

:clothes:

The biggest declutter is going through MY stuff - candle holders/trays mostly, that do not fit in/with the house. I do plan on going through all the holiday stuff this year as well - I know what I want and if it isn't in there it needs to go. HGP ready!

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
I have moved out paperwork (more to go) and also sent some of Teigans clothes back to Jaymees to be stored with the others that she has packed and marked. Sent some cute stuff she can still wear but with Allen down, not taking her as many places so hopefully they wear them once or twice.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
Great job, ladies!

I dropped off an additional 8 grocery bags of items to the thrift stores. I have 6 garbage bags of clothes to pass on and 2 garbage bags of clothes for textile recycling. I had lots of papers that went to recycling and another bag of trash is out of the house.

I can't believe how much space we have in the basement. I'm only a quarter of the way through it. It really is quite overwhelming and I hope never to let it get this way again.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
1st of September is spring here.........
Tomorrow I start the spring cleaning, besides Christmas it is my favourite time if the year.
A lot will be going out the door.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
1 pair of shoes & 1 shirt are out the door. 1 pair of thongs in the garbage (strap broke)

tanya

Premiere Member
Jan 8, 2012
My house now has 4 less bags of shredded un- needed paperwork, 4 old towels that were so old even the dogs complained and some old sheets that I realised were the wrong size for the bed that I bought 4 years ago.
I innocently mentioned to the cleaning lady today that she had not put the light blue sheets on for a while- her reply its been 4 years!- she then tells me that they are the wrong size- she thought I knew and that I was keeping them for some other reason.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
My house now has 4 less bags of shredded un- needed paperwork, 4 old towels that were so old even the dogs complained and some old sheets that I realised were the wrong size for the bed that I bought 4 years ago.
I innocently mentioned to the cleaning lady today that she had not put the light blue sheets on for a while- her reply its been 4 years!- she then tells me that they are the wrong size- she thought I knew and that I was keeping them for some other reason.

Now that is funny!

Katrina and Tanya - I love reading about the holiday/decluttering from your perspective of being in a different season than myself.

I have just three bags left for pick up on Thursday. I have some paper clutter that will be dealt with today.

I am doing the HHP and I think I will declutter alongside the plan.

Skippy1707

Retire Member
Sep 5, 2016
Wales
Katrina and Tanya - are you both in Australia???
Holiday_Mom - USA?

I am in Wales and it is firmly fog/rain/mist nad general yuckiness here but that is our standard weather.....we had a heatwave a few weeks back and to say people were confused is an understatement......the sun with heat is a very rare occurrence to us

tanya

Premiere Member
Jan 8, 2012
Yep Im from Sydney, Australia. For those of you that know it better- Eastern Beaches area- 3 beaches from the famous Bondi Beach. I am blessed to have the beach at the end of my street- so literally a one minute walk. Other beaches are between a 5 and 10 minute drive.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Yes, I too am in Australia. I live in Canberra which is Australia's Capital city. Most people think that Sydney is the Capital.
I live about 3 or so hours from Tanya

Skippy1707

Retire Member
Sep 5, 2016
Wales
Oh nice - I dont even know if there are any other UK folk on the boards.....my sister has just come back from a 2 year gap year in Australia - she worked everywhere I think, stayed in some fabulous places as work placements and did some weird jobs. :) but she loved it - I think she is looking to go to the states or new zealand next.