Baby Shower Games--Yay or Nay?

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
I'm hosting a baby shower for our cousin in July. It will be a brunch in my home. I am on the fence about games. I don't want to play them, but her mother (our aunt) wants to play games. It will be an outside event, but people will be scattered around the yard/porch/house eating/drinking/having fellowship.

If you say YAY!, please share suggestions of your favorites.

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
An easy one that doesn't take a lot of work is choosing a word related to babies/showers and giving each person safety/diaper pin or clothes pin (or some other object) or a zip bag of objects (table sprinkles, safety pins). If the person says "the word" and someone hears them, they lose their object to that person. The person who has the most objects collected from other people gets a prize. You can set a time limit or do it after the presents are opened (it's a lot of fun if it continues through the gift giving) because people are most likely to say "the word" then, especially if you choose baby, diaper, bottle, cute...you get the point!

Another is using toilet tissue and each person rolls off how many squares they think it will take to go around the mom-to-be. The closest person wins.

That is if you want to play games....the first one isn't so organized and just sort of runs itself.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I hate the games. But that is just me. I think you should ask the mother to be if it's not a secret shower. Or let the Aunt be in charge of the games since she really want them. Tell her she will be doing you a favor by doing so.

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
Personally, I hate the games, too! I just threw those out there so if you felt obligated, you might have a couple of ideas. I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who feels that way.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
One of my favorite showers I attended they had each table assemble a different tutu for the baby girl. Each group worked to tie precut strips of tulle around the elastic provided. It got people talking, was easy and was a nice alternative to a game.

Not sure what you could do instead of a boy - but some sort of activity that produces something for the mom or little one that also gets people interacting could be nice.

Maybe do one "game" and something like that as a compromise with the Aunt? :)

There are tons of game ideas on Pinterest - and many of the pins are for non-traditional games so you never know what you might find.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
AJ - I like making a craft instead of a game! what a great idea.

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
One of my favorite showers I attended they had each table assemble a different tutu for the baby girl. Each group worked to tie precut strips of tulle around the elastic provided. It got people talking, was easy and was a nice alternative to a game.

Not sure what you could do instead of a boy - but some sort of activity that produces something for the mom or little one that also gets people interacting could be nice.

Maybe do one "game" and something like that as a compromise with the Aunt? :)

There are tons of game ideas on Pinterest - and many of the pins are for non-traditional games so you never know what you might find.

I love the tutu idea! I'll have to look into the directions for that!

Save

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
Lisa, by saying "our" cousin, I'm assuming some of your other cousins will be there?? If so, I'm going to suggest that if you have games, crafts, or whatever, delegate the responsibility of getting the games going to one of them. You can choose them, but that frees you up to do the other things you will need to be doing.

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
Jane...just emailed another cousin and asked her to take care of games, if she'd like to play them, and gave her some ideas. Thanks for the idea! We live all over, so chatting in person is not happening for the most part.