Back to School Sales and the Christmas Opportunities They Provide

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
I honestly cannot believe that Back to School Sales are already happening! It just got hot! Crazy!

But I’ve seen some good prices at both Walmart and Staples this week – and there are things I intend to stock up on if I can!

***Elmer’s Glue Sticks are $0.25 each at Walmart

These are fantastic to buy now and tuck away for Christmas gift wrapping purposes! Instead of buying double stick tape to finish off pretty packages using metallic gift wrap – use glue sticks instead! There is nothing worse than using normal tape on fancy shiny wrapping paper – at least to me! Lol

Another thing I use glue sticks for is to attach homemade gift tags to my presents. Instead of making tags that have to be tied on, I make them one sided and just pop them on the package using glue stick after I write on them.

And of course, glue sticks are always a nice stocking stuffer for school age kids!

***Fiskars Scissors are $1.47 each at Walmart

Do you need more scissors for gift wrapping this year? If you are thinking of hosting a gift wrapping party or get together with girlfriends I would highly recommend having extra pairs on hand. These may be small scissors, but they work and this is a great price!

Another cute idea I saw on Pinterest the other day was a gift for a neighbor, teacher, co-worker, hostess etc. that consists of a roll of gift wrap, scissors, tape and a cute little note.

http://pinterest.com/pin/190769734188640881/

Tag reads “Since November you’ve been shopping, barely sleeping, hardly stopping. Now it’s late, you’re in a scrape, out of paper or out of tape. Hope this wrap kit helps save the day! Have a Happy Holiday!”

This sale price would be a great way to add scissors to the gift!
Speaking of tape! - Staples Invisible Tape, 4 pk is on sale for $2 this week

Snap some up now for your own gift wrapping supply or to break up and put together as part of the little gift idea mentioned above! Or to have extra on hand for a gift wrapping party!

***Back to School Sale Items in General

Walmart also has great prices on crayons, markers, colored pencils, etc. Great ideas, once again, for filling stockings of school age kids. Or as part of a gift package to a school? I know teachers often pay for school supplies out of their own pockets - gifting some of these to any school – your own child’s or one at random would be a fun RAOK!

Or maybe a hospital with a children’s unit? Or a children’s hospital in your area?

I didn’t see any on sale this week – but watch for great back to school prices on Memo Pads to come soon! These look great recovered with pretty scrapbooking paper, etc. I made a cute journal for my niece last year doing this!

Front cover:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/endless_hollydaze/7736580722/

Inside of front cover:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/endless_hollydaze/7736583404/

AND to glue that paper down – I used glue sticks!!! Bam!

We should see back to school sales continue for the next few weeks at least – with some different items showing up from week to week.

Pam Spaur

Premiere Member
Jul 17, 2008
Muncie, IN
I have done the school supplies as stocking stuffers. Also, if you want to give a youngster a craft box for Christmas, now is the time to get stuff for it. I keep a pair of the Fiskars scissors in my make up bag. You never know when you might need to snip something! I also use them at quilt group. Good ideas from you, AJ!

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
Great ideas! I also use the items to make baskets for basket parties, church fundraisers, etc.

candysprinkles

Retire Member
Jan 29, 2011
Indiana
I have used BTS supplies and clearance many times for Christmas, too. As others have mentioned they make awesome stocking stuffers and crafting supplies. Plus, the school year is half over at that time and supplies need to be replenished anyway. One year I even got the fancier scientfic calculators to put in stockings for my two oldest. They were in middle school at the time and just starting Algebra. Both have continued to use these several years throughout high school. They were marked down to like $7 on deep clearance .

For teenage girls I sometimes like to buy a purse, tote, or backpack and then fill it with miscellaneous things like pretty notebooks, pens, chapstick, lip gloss, nail polish, cute socks, etc. These have always been well received.

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
Washington, the Evergreen State
If you make up shoeboxes for Operation Christmas Child, these great deals on Crayons, etc. really help. Operation Christmas Child is a great way to get your children involved in a holiday activity. Just ask your child to fill a box with the things they enjoy; it makes it more personal when they know that there is a child out there somewhere who will be opening the box and enjoying the contents as much as they would.

http://www.samaritanspurse.org/what-we-do/operation-christmas-child/

StressLess

Retire Member
Jun 4, 2008
Memphis TN
This thread is great! I have been going through leftover school supplies to see what I really need to buy. It never fails that we run out of tape during the holidays. So, I really should inventory holiday stuff at the same time.

Also, I would suggest looking for things for teacher gifts through out the school year now. Office supplies are always appreciated, and Target and Wal-Mart has lots of school-themed things out now- calendars, planners, borders for bulletin boards, etc. that could be added to teacher Christmas baskets and Teacher Appreciation Day baskets.

FrostyShimmer

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
Great ideas! Think I'll stock up on crayons, paints, etc. and make a little art kit for DD1 for Christmas.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Some great ideas here, we don't have back to school sales until January so hard for us to stock up,for Christmas. But I always keep an eye out anyways

Christmaslvr

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
Sebastian, FL
I really want to do an Operation Christmas Child box this year! Will check out the back to school sales!

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com
I really love back to school sales, just because I love novel pens and notebooks - for myself! :)

They are also great for operation Christmas Child, and 'student' reward gifts for work.

JayOkie

Retire Member
Oct 19, 2007
NE Oklahoma
GREAT ideas, AJ. I've been watching the sales, too. My grands are out of grade school - only 1 in HS - without counting Miss Diva, of course. She'll be 2 in about a month. Two of the great-grands are school age but rarely see them. I put a small amount in a savings account for them for Christmas instead of trying to guess what they might like/need. By the time they start college, they MAY have enough for 1 book! ;-)

Like some of you, I watch for things *I* can use......I use a lot of spiral notebooks, using 1 for each meeting -- genealogy, city council, etc -- plus I use them for writing a casual non-business letter. I really stocked up a few years ago on glue sticks - something like 10 or 25c each. Never dreamed they'd not keep, but found out, even up-opened, they dry out! Lesson learned. But I do need to get a couple for me. Hadn't thought of using them for wrapping paper. GREAT IDEA!!