Baking Bread...

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
I've been trying to get more into baking my own bread items and wanted to share what I've liked and what I'm excited to try!

And to see what advice others may have! Any tried and true recipes you'd care to share?

What kinds of flour do you like best? Where do you get the best deals on it?

Has anyone ever made their own sourdough starter?

I tried this new recipe for basic white sandwich bread last night:

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/190769734193919264/

Turned out great! I did use all regular all purpose flour because that is all I had. It is a long post with LOTS of suggestions for using this same recipe different ways and links to other great info on bread baking!

I've made this recipe several times and we've always been happy with it!

http://www.melskitchencafe.com/french-bread/

I'm getting read to try making English Muffins, my own Tortillas and Soft Pretzels.

Eventually I want to attempt making Rough Puff Pastry (a slightly easier method of making than traditional) but I'll have to wait until I see a good sale on butter!!!

Share your tips, guys! I'm all ears!

:snowman2:

DahliaDoll

Premiere Member
Oct 15, 2007

I'm interested to hear how your bread endeavors turn out. I used to make bread quite a bit, but lately have been using my bread machine. I don't really care for the way it comes out if I let the machine bake the bread, so I usually let the machine mix and knead and complete the first rising. Then I take the dough out, punch it down, and form it into a loaf or rolls.

Good luck!

I hear that the older the sourdough starter is the better. You might want to check around with friends or even a local bakery to see if you can get a "vintage" starter.

happy2bme

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
My Happy Place
I have been looking for a new French Bread recipe and this one looks good.

Can't wait to try it!

Lolwlias

Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
Cadyville, NY
I used to make bread when I had a bread machine. Since it got broken (many, many years ago) I haven't made breads other than banana or zucchini bread.

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
Once every several years I make homemade bread. I always feel like it's a lot of work so I never do it. However, it's so good and worth it. Maybe i'll do it soon. I have a recipe that my mom always uses and that's what I use too. I do own a bread machine and have used that in the past to make bread, not sure why I don't do it more often, probably because the recipe for it uses powdered milk and I never have any need for it other than for that recipe so I don't ever have it on hand. I never thought about using the machine to do the mixing and rising and then taking it out to bake it. Good idea!

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
The regular white bread recipe I posted above uses actual milk instead of the powdered stuff and the French Bread recipe uses water/oil.

If you have a KitchenAid mixer the French Bread recipe is easy enough to do on a weeknight - I have many times - you just have to keep track of how many times you stir the dough - it rests for 10 minutes, you turn it on for 10 seconds and then let it rest again. You have to do it 5 times but I can be doing other things while that is happening. :)

Between the discount bread store and baking/freezing my own I'm feeling pretty good about our bread supply!

I would like to branch out and try more things though! And look into buying better quality flours, organic, etc.

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
Oh no, I meant for the bread machine using powdered milk, that's why I don't use it more often. I have a fantastic bread recipe to make by hand. I guess i'm unsure whether you can use a regular bread recipe in a bread machine or if it has to be the bread machine recipe. :)

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
Do you, or does anyone else know, can you use a regular bread recipe in a bread machine?

DahliaDoll

Premiere Member
Oct 15, 2007
I'm not really sure if you can use a regular bread recipe in a bead machine. I don't really see why not, especially if you take the dough out before it bakes, shape your own loaf, let it raise again, and then bake it in the oven.

I guess you'd just have to try it out. Then let us know!

There are so many good bread recipes that are specifically designed for the bread machines, though, I'm sure you could find something close to your "favorite".

DD has a bread recipe book called Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day: The Discovery That Revolutionizes Home Baking. She seems to like it, and it gets good reviews on Amazon. There's also a newer version, I think.

Lolwlias

Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
Cadyville, NY
Do you, or does anyone else know, can you use a regular bread recipe in a bread machine?

Check the bread machine's website. :) You might find some info on there. It might just be an adjustment in portions that is all that is needed.