Changes for Christmas, 2013

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
Colleen-

I like what you said about letting your DH be who he is.

I think sometimes us Christmas nuts don't understand why others don't feel the way that we do and instead of letting them be, we try to get them to feel about the holidays how we do.

From my experience, the one that is always let down is ME!!!

Great point on that!

Annie

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
I join the others on Colleen's observation about DH! I finally told DH that he could not go with me if at 2:00 he started asking if I was almost finished and to stop asking, "OK...where to next?" I may go to several stores and then back to a previous one because I like the features of something better at a previous store. He just clutters my brain!!! lol

Sugarplum

MHH Member
Jan 4, 2013
Florida
My husband never got into Christmas or any holidays. I just went along and did my thing, and he would kid me and call me his little "elf" because I just went all out. I never expected him to trim the tree, or drive and look at the lights or anything.

I've noticed that if I didn't do something that I traditionally do, he would say something about how he missed it. This past year, he put up the outside lights the Monday after Thanksgiving so they would be up and on when I got home from work to surprise me. And usually I would turn off the Christmas lights inside and out about 10 pm. This year he wanted the lights on all night so he could come out into the living room and enjoy them (he works at night). Well worth the extra $20 electric bill to me.

I don't know how to explain it very well, but because I didn't nag him or force him to partake in anything, he was able to just absorb a bit of "elf" himself, especially this year. We even went Christmas shopping together which we've never done before. A magical evening, dinner at the beach and shopping at the little shops along the boardwalk.

Let me explain that we are older, my kids are adults, and our only family is far away, 1 brother on his side and 1 brother and 2 sisters on my side, and assorted nieces & nephews. So we don't have a lot of obligations, or small children to worry about. Plus I am a control freak and DH knows I like things done a certain way, lol, especially Christmas traditions. I think if we were surrounded by family or small children, I would certainly want him to be a Christmas nut too.

Kim - Yes, let's brain storm! Holiday food is so important to me, I make the special menus (for every little holiday too, lol) and just enjoy planning and making it special. I never know if we will be having extra guests until the last minute too (friends who have nowhere to go) so I always make too much regardless.

I've enjoyed reading everyone's observations. Really good points and ideas.

Cindylouwho

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
Ninja Cookies? Red and Green sugar in the sugar jar? Love these!

I am STILL taking down the Christmas stuff. Tree is gone but the boxes are still out in the living room as I'm trying to declutter a bit. Fighting a sinus infection and it is really slowing me down.

All went pretty well this year and for the first time I got through the Houseworks Plan without falling off at one point or another. Hooray!

Observations from this year:

1. Clean the woodstove flu at Thanksgiving so it doesn't clog up on Christmas Eve thus leading to arctic conditions in the living room on Christmas Morning.

2. Make the Christmas Photo a black and white and take it in the summer. Edit down the mailing list a bit as well.

3. School let out only 4 days before Christmas this year and am expecting it to be similar this year. Not having that full week in advance was great for Christmas wrapping (and I was ready!) but not so great for the downtime I was looking forward to with the kids. We didn't get to the baking, and watched very few Christmas movies. We only looked at Christmas lights once. So while it was a very nice holiday break, the Christmas part of it felt rushed. Not sure how to fix this one. Guess it is just a matter of how the school schedule works out each year.

4. I have GOT to get myself out there in the chaos on Thanksgiving Weekend (as much as I enjoyed hibernating). I need that weekend with the kids for them to see what is out there and get them going on their lists. This year they went out with me only a week before Christmas and promptly added to/changed their lists. It was too late by that point though I did do a few edits.

5. Cyber Monday. Don't ever miss this again. Ever. (I think I had a cold or something going on then. I remember being SOOOO tired. I pretty much slept through it all.)

6. Clearly mark the Decor & Christmas-in-July Box -- This needs to be easier to spot among the holiday boxes. My tiny labels are too small. I'm putting into this box the things I want to work on in the summer and the things that get pulled out first for the holidays.

7. Receipts - I've got all of them and they are going into Excel. I really really really want to know exactly where the money went so I know where I can cut next year. We replaced all our Christmas lights this year, purchased winter clothing and had some large ski school expenses that all hit at Christmas and we'll be sure to time that for early Fall next year. (Those bills hitting at the same time were a big ouch!). So basically, we need to save more than we are currently. Expenses should not be so big next year though.

ChristmasRose

Retire Member
Oct 14, 2007
Almost at the end of my rope
I went into Christmas expecting it to be miserable, but I got a big surprise! My mother died this year. I got my love of Christmas from her. I thought I was doing well until Thanksgiving. It was difficult without her. It took me a week-and-a-half to decorate the tree, as I unwrapped ornaments that had been hers, and ornaments that she had unwrapped for me last year. I did the mantel, the stair rail, put up two nativity sets, and made a simple greenery centerpiece. I gave gift cards to most of my family. My husband and I gave each other a couple of gifts, and we gave our son maybe six or seven. I played my harp at the late Christmas Eve service, and on Christmas Day, we opened our gifts, had a simple ham dinner, read Christmas stories in front of the fire, listened to music, and worked a jigsaw puzzle. It was wonderful and special. I learned that it is possible to simplify Christmas, and it just might turn out to be more meaningful. Thank you, Mother.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Christmas sorry for the loss of your mom, but glad you could still get to enjoy the season with the other members of your family.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
ok, here's my review of NY's Eve (26 people for supper and 13 people sleeping over in addition to our family)

a) Supper (tourtière made by dh's aunt) + veggie juice (instead of soup) was fine... maybe for next year... stop making the supper & just have the evening (I say this each year), because it is long between supper & midnight and we eat again at midnight.

b) gave gifts at my sis's house for family members on the 25th instead of Christmas eve's at mom (too many extended family) - perfect!

c) find a time when both my kids are available to open their gifts at the same time - we finally did it at 7:30 on the 30th. If it's for breakfast like this year make a special Christmas breakfast, with pics of unwrapping in Christmas pjs for everyone.

d) Wrapping: I started wrapping stockings when I had 3/4 of the stuff bought and I placed the stockings in the guest room on some hangers - perfect!

e) Elves: did not do much this year since dd was away from home at school. brought in just a few films & some $$. Next year will try to do more even though dd is not here... take pictures of what they do or bring & post it for her on FB when that happens.

f) Gift buying: at the end only GC buying was left... was waiting for dh to decide which ones he wanted for the girlfriend of ds & boyfriend of dd.. next year will do it all by myself so won't be last minute. My brother had a new girlfriend and I ended up buying small gifts for her daughter the day before they came over (I thought they were going to their dads' and wouldn't be here and had never met them).

g) Small gifts were to be given for games but not everyone wanted to play so we ended up picking numbers... next year get everyone to play... maybe something easy like bingo. Had small gifts for all the children & 12 gifts for adults (including an ornament I had made).

h) Breakfast the 1st : usually we have leftovers from the buffet of the 31st but almost nothing left this year -... so we made 'Parfaits', with yogourt, ceral & fruits - it was great with choclatines & toasts... not too heavy for everyone.

i) will try to figure out more ways for sleeping spaces (maybe buy a new bed-couch). did borrow a single mattress from SIL + her chairs .

j) Freezer list was incomplete and as a result a few recipes did not get done because I did not have precooked meat for the assembly.

k) Next year have some casseroles ready-made for supper on the 30th & dinner on the 31st.

l) for the last weeks of december when we are more in a rush I should try to have some 'ready made' freezer meals. I make some for during the holidays but I have time to cook meals during the holidays... not in the weeks before.

Sugarplum

MHH Member
Jan 4, 2013
Florida
Christmas Rose - Sorry for the loss of your mother. This was the second Christmas without my mother and that first Christmas was very hard. When I put out my mom's Christmas decorations, it makes me feel a bit better. I know my kids appreciate seeing Grandma's things too.

Kim Loves Snow

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Aug 3, 2008
Richmond, Virginia
Christmas Rose - What a beautiful reminder of what is truly important about the Christmas season. Thank you for taking the time to share.

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
ChristmasRose- Beautiful sentiment and a wonderful tribute to your Mother.

Annie

Last edited:

wijulie

Retire Member
Jan 5, 2008
SE Wisconsin
Here's what worked:

Being careful not to over-schedule

Trying to keep weeknights as routine as possible (this seems to help ds a lot)

Starting Christmas cards in October

A family weekend getaway to Chicago (lights were beautiful, Museum of Science and Industry had an exhibit of Christmas trees from around the world, dinner out was so much fun

Here's what didn't:

Going to Macy's in Chicago on a December weekend (TOTAL PANDEMONIUM, and no one enjoyed themselves)

For 2013 will try to:

Get local shopping done in October because we live near a ton of stores and traffic becomes CRAZY

Try to avoid doctor and dental appts. in December

Bake a least one batch of something...ds enjoys it and I miss the smells!

ChristmasRose---I lost my mother the week of Christmas many years ago. I truly feel for you, and I think simplifying does help. God Bless!

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
wijulie - I agree... dentist & dental appointments in December are NOT necessary (unless there is an emergency)

We took a trip the last weekend of November.. nope... that stressed me. Better to do it in October or beginning of November.

aggy

Santa's Elves
Oct 11, 2007
Baltimore, Maryland
Christmas for me was okay. I usually have a large gathering on Christmas Eve (40+) but this year it was about half of that. With the loss of my grandmother in November, I was going through a depressing mode. So many things got put to the side and undone, like replacing the Christmas tree I threw out in 2011. I bought all new decorations for the tree but no tree. I did go out the weekend before looking for one but I could not find what I wanted - the pickings were scarce.

I did put up decorations which helped lift my spirits. I had some really great ideas I wanted to do but just couldn't drag myself to do them.

This year I hope to do better.

- Complete craft projects I started last year. I found some really great ideas on Pinterest for gifts and decor. I purchased all the items but never got around to working on them.

- Get started on Christmas shopping early. My deadline is Thanksgiving weekend. I was out in December buying and wrapping gifts. Hated it. Plus I missed participating in the wrapping parties.

- Follow the plans more closely. I was doing well until my grandma became ill. I didn't get to make all of my freezer meals and cookie doughs in advance, so I spent the week before Christmas making and baking cookies and getting them wrapped to take to the office and give out as gifts to my neighbors.

- Get my Christmas cards out early. Every year I mail my Christmas cards out on Dec. 1st. This year I was late getting them in the mail and that bummed me out to no end.

- This year I want to give my uncle James a special holiday birthday party. He is a twin (my uncle John passed last summer) and he is a special needs. My grandmother would never let him out of her sight so he never really got to go anywhere unless she was also going and it got worse when she stop coming out altogether. It was nice seeing him Christmas Eve. He had not been to my house in 3 years. My friends simply adore him. I also want to host a small party with my girlfriends this year. I just love get togethers.

For 2013 I want to get back to really enjoying the holidays. I didn't get to do any of the fun activities I had planned. I hardly watched any of my movies or played my holiday music at home. Sitting here now thinking about it, I really missed doing those things.

aggy

Santa's Elves
Oct 11, 2007
Baltimore, Maryland
Christmas for me was okay. I usually have a large gathering on Christmas Eve (40+) but this year it was about half of that. With the loss of my grandmother in November, I was going through a depressing mode. So many things got put to the side and undone, like replacing the Christmas tree I threw out in 2011. I bought all new decorations for the tree but no tree. I did go out the weekend before looking for one but I could not find what I wanted - the pickings were scarce.

I did put up decorations which helped lift my spirits. I had some really great ideas I wanted to do but just couldn't drag myself to do them.

This year I hope to do better.

- Complete craft projects I started last year. I found some really great ideas on Pinterest for gifts and decor. I purchased all the items but never got around to working on them.

- Get started on Christmas shopping early. My deadline is Thanksgiving weekend. I was out in December buying and wrapping gifts. Hated it. Plus I missed participating in the wrapping parties.

- Follow the plans more closely. I was doing well until my grandma became ill. I didn't get to make all of my freezer meals and cookie doughs in advance, so I spent the week before Christmas making and baking cookies and getting them wrapped to take to the office and give out as gifts to my neighbors.

- Get my Christmas cards out early. Every year I mail my Christmas cards out on Dec. 1st. This year I was late getting them in the mail and that bummed me out to no end.

- This year I want to give my uncle James a special holiday birthday party. He is a twin (my uncle John passed last summer) and he is a special needs. My grandmother would never let him out of her sight so he never really got to go anywhere unless she was also going and it got worse when she stop coming out altogether. It was nice seeing him Christmas Eve. He had not been to my house in 3 years. My friends simply adore him. I also want to host a small party with my girlfriends this year. I just love get togethers.

For 2013 I want to get back to really enjoying the holidays. I didn't get to do any of the fun activities I had planned. I hardly watched any of my movies or played my holiday music at home. Sitting here now thinking about it, I really missed doing those things.

Eaglesax

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
Middle Georgia
Better prepared this year, work schedules called for some adjustments. Especially with husband having to work Christmas eve & Christmas day.

what worked:

scheduling Christmas party 1st Saturday in December forced me to clean and decorate early. Just house maintenance after that...nice!

Having all adults it's not a big deal to label presents, but this year each person had their own wrapping paper, not labeled, found out their gift wrap when emptying their stocking. a little added fun and actually made gift distribution easier (everyone has several each)

Husband getting more Christmas spirit and helping with decorations! He was the driving force in getting the outdoor decorations up by my party. ..it only took 34 years :0)

started working on cards in August, did this before but had slipped a little in the last couple of years

Do better next year:

Didn't get prizes or prepare games as before for Christmas day with extended family. I prepare and provide all of Christmas dinner. Although they never contribute they really missed the games. Came to realization that I should consider dinner and entertainment as part of my gift and in some cases ministry to them.

finish up stockings earlier: shop all year but need to take inventory by first of December and concentrate on buying what is needed

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
I have been thinking alot about changes...

Cookies/baked goodies - I threw out a ton of stale cookies so this year instead of making them all at one I will spread them out more. I am used to baking for 3 days right before Christmas and bake a ton of stuff, half is kept and the rest is given out. I am thinking about starting in Oct and going right through to Christmas and bake 1 or 2 items every week every or every other week. Still plan on baking at Christmas but just not as much.

We still give to the adults in the extended family, with the exception of the grandparents, I think this year will be all home made gifts: jams, apple butter, candy bark and thinking about making the reusabe rice bag warmers but on a smaller scale to fit inside gloves. Grandparents will get home made goodies too along with a personalized gift or gift card.

This past year we hosted 3 days straight. This year I think we will only host Christmas Eve dinner and Christmas breakfest.

We always have Ham on Christmas but this year I wound up freezing 1/2 of the left overs as no one was in the mood for it. This year I thinking about going with Prime Rib.

We opened a Christmas Club for this year so that should make shopping a little easier. Cash - NO Credit. This past year we paid 95% cash so shooting for 100% cash this year.

This past Christmas we tried to watch as much of the Christmas Shows on TV as possible. Some we enjoyed and some we didn't. This year I would rather just watch the favorites with a couple new ones and spend more time on Christmas activies/crafts with the family.

Kim Loves Snow

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Aug 3, 2008
Richmond, Virginia
Aggy - This Christmas was tough for you! I hope each month is easier than the last for you.

Eaglesax - Can you ask the people or families to contribute a gender/age neutral prize, already wrapped, say for $5 or less then the winners of the games you play can pick a wrapped gift for a prize? Maybe they just don't know how to get involved or think it's "your thing" and they would be interfering if they offered to help.

So glad this thread keeps getting bumped up. I'm quick to forget what I wanted to accomplish or change so I like reading this thread from time to time as a reminder.

snowqueen

Premiere Member
Nov 1, 2007
Vermont
Shannon - I also worked the second job and it occupied a lot of my time that I would have been able to enjoy because of the school vacation time.

This year I plan to stretch out my shopping and planning through the whole year. I was also sick through the holidays with a severe sinus infection so I have to figure a way to plan for the, you never knows like that. Okay here it is.

1. Plan decorations better. I had so little time to decorate so I will make it nice but simpler. I had an idea from a picture in a magazine and I had so little time and I really needed more lights to make it look good. It would be more time and money spent so I'm going to stick to the original decorating. I like it better anyway.

2. I will be decoraing the interior earlier in case of more hours that I have to work at the second job.

3. My shopping will be in one place which will be llbean because I know people like the things they have there. If I stretch it out, it won't seem so overwhelming as far as cost goes. I had so little time to shop at the stores so some gifts were more costly because they were last minute.

4. I will do a lot of regrouping and organizing around the house through the year so I'm not making more of a mess trying to get it done just before the holidays. I did a lot for DS#1 this year when they moved so that took a lot of my time up. This year, it will be all about me and what I want to do.

I will probably add to my plans as I think about it more but this is a beginning. I missed not watching my movies and relaxing in front of my tree and fireplace. I don't plan to let that happen again.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
lots of great ideas mentioned here. i will re read later and add any ideas to my note book.

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
do you remember what you want to do differently for 2013?

Found this, too. Thought some of you might want to refresh your memory in case you're thinking ahead. It was interesting to go back and read mine.