Christmas Cards

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Scarlett

Retire Member
Oct 14, 2007
South Carolina
Not sure if this is the correct forum but here goes...
I've been reading the info on the holiday notebooks (haven't actually started one this year, but maybe by January) and see that you all have addressed cards. Do any of you do photo cards? And, if so, did you use a photo that was Christmasy or did you use one from another time of the year? I have always done a photo of DS in pjs and they are always adorable, but I never take pictures prior to November or Decemeber. I usually use Shutterfly and their turn around time is pretty quick. What other types of cards do all of you use? Do you include a photo?

I too buy the cards on clearance (I have already scoped out some cards I want to buy for next year when they go on clearance-i know I'm a little crazy...lol). Last year I took a pic of my boys in the backyard in our tree. The pic is in my blog along with their Christmas morning pic of them in their pajamas. I used their santa hats for both pictures. This year I am having a hard time picking a different location for our picture. I have only lived here for a little over a year and haven't found the hot spots yet. I might just take them to the park and take pictures there.

Some members have mentioned using summer photos of them at the beach and writing Happy Holidays in the sand. I thought that was a cute idea. My aunt one year did pictures of her boys on their road runners in the front yard (early christmas presents). When my kids were little I put them in one of those wagons with their Santa hats.

I saw Elf Hats in Dollar Tree and in Walmart so I might do the elf hats this year with their Magic Elves arriving in December.

aggy

Santa's Elves
Oct 11, 2007
Baltimore, Maryland
I usually make my cards on the computer. They go to family and close friends. I buy a few packs from the dollar store to hand out to people at work. This year I'm also sending a few photo cards. The photos are not holiday pics. Just current pics of me to give to family members who like to keep current photos of the family. I found the cards in Dollar Tree. I printed out the pictures from my digital camera and insert them into the front of the card.

LadyEvenstar

Retire Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southeastern PA
I do use photo cards usually from Sam's Club or Walgreen's and the turn around time is pretty fast. Last year I used a Christmas photo of our two girls which was taken on our annual Christmas in Hershey outing the weekend before Thanksgiving. I still got my photo cards back in plenty of time to send them out early in December (which is very early for me! :haha: )

This year I am using a picture of our family vacation to Disney World so I may have them done up a tad earlier.

CrazyMomto5

MHH Member
Oct 26, 2007
Orange County, NY
We always send cards and include a current pic of the kids. Usually they are dressed in their Holiday finery, sometimes it Christmas PJs depends on how quick I can sew or if I get lucky in the store. This year I had a pic taken of the kids in the old time western wear at a theme park. They all looked great and loved the pic. We decided that was what we would use. They are so excited about everyone seeing this pic. They have already started talking about having another period pic taken next year!

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com
I take our photo of the family late November (outside) , our cards are ready the next day for pick-up. I have labels for the addresses so it makes it very quick. :grin:

Holiday Joy

MHH Member
Nov 4, 2007
One of our local nurseries (the plant type!) has some beautiful holiday lighted outdoor displays. Last year, I dressed the kids up in coats and Santa hats, and took pictures of them in a lighted, beribboned gazebo window. Then to WalMart for 1 hour photo copies!
I buy the cards that are picture frames (got some great ones at Costco a couple weeks ago!). I can have them already written, addressed, stamped and waiting for the photo.

I'm thinking of heading up to the mountains and getting a snow picture this year.

I also slip copies of their school photos in for special aunts, uncles and other relatives (they're home schooled, but we have a school photographer come into our co-op).

One year my folks took a trip to Europe and had a great pic of themselves in front of a cathedral. They used that for their Christmas card. No one cared that it wasn't Christmassy. But I know of families who pack Santa hats when they go on vacation in the summer just for their cards! Fun! :grin:

Jingle Belle

MHH Member
Oct 15, 2007
I always do photo cards. Sometimes I do the kind where the photo is part of the card, these I've ordered from Snapfish and Walmart. Sometimes I do the frame type where you insert your photo. I actually like the frame type better. Although I follow the CC, I don't get my Christmas cards done on the schedule that they suggest because I typically don't have my pictures that early. Once I have my picture, I know I can get them printed fast, so it's never been a problem to wait. This year we will be going to southern California for Thanksgiving. I am going to try to get good pictures in the sand and at Disneyland, then I'll choose what I like best for the cards.

I've seen really cute cards done with summer pictures too. I don't think your pictures have to be Christmasy.

patteemom

Retire Member
Oct 15, 2007
Idaho
I don't usually put photos in with my Christmas cards mainly because I just in a hurry to get them done. If I have a few great photos I will put them in cards to family member or friends who live far away and don't get to see us or the kids.

dejavu

Retire Member
Oct 22, 2007
Chicago suburbs, Illinois
I always put photos in my cards. I buy my cards on clearance in January, sign them during the summer, print labels in the fall and put on the stamps in November (although now with the "forever" stamps, we don't have to worry about a rate change after we've stamped all our cards). I also write a Christmas letter in early November.

I put up my favorite Christmas tree the weekend before Thanksgiving (or sooner). Then when the kids dress up for Thanksgiving Day, I take a bunch of pictures of them by the tree. Then during the weekend after Thanksgiving I pick my favorite picture, put it on the computer and print out pictures to put in the cards. For more casual friends and acquaintances I send smaller sized pictures. For friends and relatives that I know will save the pictures, I send 3 x 5s or 4 x 6s, depending on the size of the cards that year. :grin:

Lolwlias

Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
Cadyville, NY
I don't include a phote with everyone's card, just certain family members and friends. I usually take it and then print it on my computer.

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
I use to always put a photo in my cards when the kids where younger. I would take pictures of them in trees. One year we had baby lambs and I took it with each of them holding one and other settings. Would love to get one this year BUT I printed a recipe out on christmas paper and thought maybe I would start sending one each year. Sometimes I have a saying or something that I send. Seems I just can't send a card!!!

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I have one side of my Christmas Cards printed and the address labels are done. On Thanksgiving I'll take the family photo (and yes I mean family, the whole family not just the kids) so I can print them out on the other side of the cards. I picked up stamps the other day. The plan is to mail them on Friday.

I found a box of 50 greeting card envelopes at Wal-Mart of all places. I thought I'd have to run into the Twin Cities to find them. I may go buy another box so I'll have them for next year. That way I'll have envelops for other Holiday and Birthday card during the year.