Christmas Dinner

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
I'm curious as to what you all are making for Christmas dinner this year, whether your dinner is on Christmas Eve or Christmas Day, what are you having?

Growing up we always had chicken and rice on Christmas Day. My grandparents drove in from 1 1/2 hours away and brought our presents with them, which was highly anticipated and that was always our lunch meal. If I remember correctly I usually make this for us, sometimes I do ham or something else though.

I'm not sure what i'm making this year so i'm looking for ideas. We will be feeding a Drill Sergeant that has duty on Christmas Day too.

happy2bme

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
My Happy Place
We didn't have a kitchen in October when it was Thanksgiving here in Canada, so we didn't have our traditional turkey dinner, so we will have it for Christmas.

The Menu:
turkey
stuffing
mashed potatoes
vegetables
gravy
buns
cranberry sauce
relish tray
veggie tray

I just realized that I didn't plan dessert. I will see what the crew wants. Sometimes we make something and sometimes we just put out cookies & fudge to eat later in the evening.

Sugarplum

MHH Member
Jan 4, 2013
Florida
We usually have prime rib but at over $30 even on sale, too much money to spend. We picked up a ham but have never had that for Christmas so I'm looking for ideas. I don't know if DD and her friends are coming to eat.

So far I have:

Ham w/pineapple slices
Baked beans
Broccoli/whole green beans
Rolls
Twice baked potatoes?

Usually I do a very simple dinner. This year it is hard with DH's dietary restrictions, so sides are basically vegetables and a salad for him and a tiny bit of starch. No mac & cheese, scalloped potatoes, etc.

Christmas eve will be Shrimp scampi, vegetables, salad and garlic bread.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Unless DS decides to cook we will not be going anywhere.

I'm set in my ways so it will be prime rib. When growing up my mom fixed us pizza. It's what we loved, it was easy (even made from scratch) and clean up was easy since we used paper plates. If I could make her crust I'd still be serving pizza.

Roasted rare coffee spice rubbed Roast Beef
Hopefully a veggie--asparagus or roasted brussel sprouts
Baked potatoes-fingerlings if I can find them
Sour cream dip (sour cream and Season All)
Hopefully there will be some leftover Christmas cookies for dessert-other wise probably ice cream sundaes.

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
We host Christmas Eve dinner with my family. I will be serving:

Lasagna
Breaded Veal Cutlets
Tossed Salad
Homemade Garlic bread

Appetizers will be cheese, a variety of kielbassi and crackers, probably grapes and or apple slices, too

Dessert will be cookies and candies

Veal was 18 dollars a pound....very pricey, but I just took it from the grocery budget.

On Christmas Day at my mom's we will have baked ham, candied sweet potatoes, mashed potatoes, green beans, cranberry sauce and pickled beets and eggs. Mil serves ham , cabbage rolls, kielbassi, potato salad and pasta salad.

tanya

Premiere Member
Jan 8, 2012
Christmas Eve is in front of the tv- watching Carols by Candelight from Melbourne- an Australian tradition for many families. It will just be snacks served as a meal on a big platter- dips, cheese, vegetable sticks chips etc. Some years we have had pizza but DS wants this

Breakfast Christmas morning will be choc chip waffles- again DS's request, fresh fruit, juice and knowing DS as I do chocolates- the only morning of the whole year- he can eat chocolates for breakfast! This will be late about 10am ish as unlike most kids DS does not get out of bed for Santa- I always wait until I can wait no longer and wake him up!

Lunch will be about 3ish- I think a friend will be here- she has no kids and recently got divorced. Its pretty simple: fresh seafood- oysters, prawns (shrimp), possibly lobster if I can get to the fish markets- I only buy fresh - can't stand frozen, crusty rolls, salad, slices of ham, roast beef- I think you call this prime rib? cheeses, dips. A little bit of lots of different things.

Dinner is whatever DS gets out for himself as I wont want anything!

The next day we pack a picnic and head to the beach for the day.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
We host Christmas Eve dinner before we go to church. We keep it simple so we don't have to clean up much when we get back later that night. Parts of our menu change each year based on what we feel like making.

Appetizers
  • mini hotdogs wrapped in Pillsbury biscuit dough
  • vegetables and dip
  • a cheese and cracker tray with pepperoni and fruit

Dinner
  • Hot chuck roast sandwiches with gravy (This gets done in a crock pot earlier. The meat falls apart easily and is served on a sandwich roll)
  • Green beans and red peppers
  • Salad

Dessert
  • Homemade cookies (Usually we are so stuffed from dinner that no one wants dessert. But we always seem to find room for coffee and a cookie or two.)
This year Christmas Day dinner will be Lasagna at my parents. The next day we eat at my in laws. They serve turkey, green bean casserole, sweet potatoes with marshmallows, bread, fruit salad, and applesauce every year.

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
Christmas Eve is when my family comes. We basically keep the same menu as to what we serve. We do the:

cheeseball and crackers
ham
meatballs (from scratch)
shrimp
smokies (some yrs. in the crockpot with grape jelly and chili sauce equally and then on yrs. we wrap in bacon with brown sugar) This yr. is wrapped
Punch
olives
dill pickles
horseradish pickles that Allen does
desserts---this year grape salad and an ice cream cake
doing BLT dip too this year. It gets done every so often.

Jaymee does pickle wrap dip
mom-date pudding and a velvet salad
Aunt Imogene-cheese
Baby sister--green bean casserole the last couple years
Older sister--cream corn
Nephews family---never know bread, chips

Christmas Day we do the meal and whoever comes back comes. Sometimes 10 or 11 and some yrs. just my kids, and Aunt Im. Once in awhile Greg (Jaymees FIL) will come.
Turkey (got a 22 lb---I am waiting for turkey pot pie from leftovers)
stuffing
rolls
mashed potatoes/gravy (jar)
mac and cheese
green bean casserole
leftover dessert from Christmas Eve and leftover meatballs get warmed up for my SIL

Snowey

Premiere Member
We will be at sister in law for Christmas Eve and niece in law for Christmas Day.

However I am baking a brown sugar spiral ham to bring to sister in laws. When I had them all over for the US thanksgiving I made that along with the turkey and they loved it, so it was a request for me to do it this year for Christmas Eve !!

I am looking to make a special breakfast for Christmas morning for DH and I , does anyone have a tried and true breakfast casserole they can share ?

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
Nancy...I have a French toast casserole we love. Are you looking for an egg, meat and veggie casserole?

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
I think we decided on:

Ham
Green beans
Hashbrown casserole
Homemade rolls
4 Layer Dessert

Nancy- I have a Sausage Breakfast Casserole that we have every Christmas morning.

6 slices of bread, buttered
1 lb. sausage
1 1/2 c. shredded cheddar cheese
6 eggs, beaten
2 c. half & half
1 tsp. salt and pepper

Cut off bread crusts, put in greased dish (13x9), set aside. Cook sausage til brown, spoon over bread, sprinkle with cheese, combine eggs and half & half and pour over cheese. Cover and keep in fridge overnight. Bake at 350* for 45 minutes.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Nancy - I have a really great Sausage Strata recipe that I've made a billion times. You also make the night before and let it sit in fridge - but it does take 1.5 hours at 350 - so I usually end up getting up early - popping it in oven and then going back to bed for a while :)

6 eggs
8 -9 slices bread (white bread is fine, bakery type bread - French, Italian, etc. works great - I really just cube enough to fill the pan nicely)
2.5 cups milk (or half and half - or mix of the two)
2 cups shredded cheese – mix of cheddar, monteray jack, etc. whatever you have/like
1 lb sausage, browned
¾ tsp ground mustard (can omit this if you don’t have it – I always use it though)
1 can cream of mushroom soup
½ cup milk (or half and half)

Tear up bread into pieces and throw into the bottom of a 9x11 pan. Layer shredded cheese on top of bread. Layer browned sausage on top of that.
In a separate bowl, whisk up eggs with milk and mustard. Pour evenly over ingredients in pan. Cover and let sit in fridge overnight.
In the morning, mix 1 can of mushroom soup with ½ cup milk and pour as evenly as possible over top of casserole.
Put dish on a baking sheet (protects your cold glass pan from the hot oven rack)
Bake for 1.5 hours at 300 degrees or until middle just jiggles when you shake the pan. Let sit for 10 minutes before digging in.

p.a.

Premiere Member
Oct 31, 2007
Christmas Eve here is tourtière with a ham, then later on we bring out the appetizers.
- feta and olive spread
- cheese ball
- sausage stars
- potato patella
- sweet and sour chestnuts
- spanakopita
- chips, dips, cheese, crackers, kielbasa

Christmas dinner has always been the same turkey dinner for over 53 years but this year we are changing it! Shocking!!!
- chicken supreme (local restaurant recipe)
-rice pilaf
- carrots
- prosciutto wrapped asparagus
- trifle for dessert

I have a very easy egg casserole a bit different then traditional ones.
David's eggs:
- cover a 9x 13 dish with Canadian bacon
- layer sliced Swiss cheese over that
- break 12 eggs over that ,,try to leave yolks whole
- pour half and half over that
Bake till eggs are done
Serve cut into a large squares and serve with toast

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Okay, I've finalized my Christmas Menu plans!

Christmas Brunch

- Sausage Strata
- Apple Danish (makes 2)
- Pigs in Blankets
- Scrambled Eggs or Cereal for the kids as needed

Christmas Day Dinner

- Appetizers = PW Cheese Puffs, Shrimp Puffs and Blue Cheese Cheeseball with Crackers
- Brown Sugar Ham
- PW Mashed Potatoes
- Cheesy Green Bean Casserole
- Make Ahead Butterhorn Rolls
- PW Dreamy Apple Pie

Day After Christmas Breakfast (Will still have company)

- Leftover Strata and Danish + Funeral Potatoes (freezer meal)

Day After Christmas Dinner (Will still have company + more family coming in)

- Black Olive Dip + Crackers
- Deluxe Artichoke Dip + Tortilla Chips (my sister is bringing)
- Shepherd's Pie (made with ground beef)
- Deluxe Mac n Cheese (this thing is AWESOME! 10 different types of cheese, cream, amber ale, bacon, panko crumbs on top - the WORKS!)
- Pineapple Upside Down Cake

Then we'll finish up on Sunday morning with breakfast before our company leaves with scrambled eggs, brown sugar bacon and pancakes (blueberries optional) + real maple syrup! YUM!

Sugarplum

MHH Member
Jan 4, 2013
Florida
Everybody's menus look so good!

I think I have everything ready.

Christmas Eve

Appetizers

• Carrots, celery and dip
  • Hummus
  • Crockpot meatballs
  • Cheese and crackers
Dinner

• Broiled shrimp scampi with rice
  • Whole green beans
  • Garden salad
Beverages

• Sangria punch
  • Egg nog
  • Santa Cokes
  • Ice tea and water
Christmas Day

Morning Snacks

• Christmas cookies
  • Cheese and crackers
  • Summer sausage
  • Pumpkin bread
Christmas Dinner

• Ham
  • Twice baked potatoes
  • Individual baked sweet potatoes
  • Broccoli with cheese sauce
  • Mixed vegetables
  • Baked beans
  • Egg nog jello mold
  • Crescent rolls
  • Black and green olives
Beverages

• Wine
  • Ice tea and water
Dessert will be cookies and I might bake a gingerbread cake tomorrow.

:tree:

tanya

Premiere Member
Jan 8, 2012
Robin,

What is a Santa Coke? I googled it but nothing came up?

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
Nancy....here's the French Toast Casserole Recipe:

French Toast Casserole

1 Loaf (10 oz) French or Italian Bread, cubed
8 Eggs
3 cups Milk
4 teaspoons sugar
1 teaspoon Vanilla extract
3/4 teaspoon Salt, optional

Topping:
2 tablespoons Butter or margarine, cubed
3 tablespoons Sugar
2 teaspoons Ground cinnamon

Maple syrup, optional

Preparation
Place bread cubes in a greased 13 x 9 x 2 inch baking dish. In a mixing bowl, beat eggs, milk, sugar, vanilla and salt if desired. Pour over bread. Cover and refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight.
Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Dot with butter. Combine sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle over the top. Cover and bake at 350 for 45-50 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean.

Let stand for 5 minutes. Serve with syrup if desired. Yield: 12 servings

This is a good savory one:
http://comfortablefood.com/bacon-and-egg-casserole/

Sugarplum

MHH Member
Jan 4, 2013
Florida
Tanya, the Santa cokes are just the old fashioned small glass Coke bottles that come in a 6-pack. They used to have the Santa on the bottle, but I just checked and they only say "Under the Mistletoe" this year, like the cans. Bummer. The carrier has Santa on it.

I would buy my two kids a 6-pack of the "Santa Cokes" to share each year at Christmas and they would be allowed to drink them on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. It just became a tradition and even though they are grown up they love having them. Just a special treat once a year.

p.a.

Premiere Member
Oct 31, 2007
Robin I wish I liked Coke,,,,that's a cute tradition