Christmas in July 2016 - Week 4, 24th - 31st

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Week Four (July 24-31)

HOLIDAY FUN/ENTERTAINMENT

Christmas movies, music, theater, books, church and school events, special activities and events in your area, games, holiday books, Christmas travel, Christmas markets, parties and party themes, Advent calendars, Elf on the Shelf, Christmas countdowns.

:santa3:

Discuss!!!

P.S. I know Lana usually has been starting these threads, hope it's ok if I jump in this time!!!

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
The local Christmas parade is the first Saturday in December and we plan to attend that. We missed the last 2 years, one year due to one of the kids being sick and one year due to scheduling conflict with another event.

The township tree lighting is the 1st Sunday evening in December - this is a hit or miss with us due to weather, illness, or conflicting events. We went last year and it was nice, have it penciled in for this year.

Through out of the month of December we plan nights to go out looking at lights. Some in town and some out of town. Always bring along warm drinks and home made cookies. One house in town has a very nice display and the husband dressed up as Santa the last full weekend before Christmas. If you stop he will talk to the kids and hand out candy canes. The kids look forward to this every year.

This year we are planning on taking the kids to Longwood Gardens for their Christmas light display. We haven't done that in several years so I will be a nice treat.

We have been kicking around the ideal of having a very informal Christmas gathering at our house. Bonfire outside in the yard with seating all around where kids (and adults) can roast hotdogs and marshmallows and sing Christmas carols. Inside will be Christmas music, crock pot full of homemade hot chocolate, coffee and assorted homemade cookies. Will decide on this in December hits and I can see what the weather will be like. Gotta make sure it doesn't rain.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Minta, Your plans sound wonderful.

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
Minta, Your plans sound wonderful.

Thanks ... Some things are always penciled in like the parade and looking the lights but each year we as a family discuss our option for an outing that Christmas Season. In the past we have done Christmas Train Ride, Christmas at Hershey Park, Longwood Garden, Disney on Ice (between Christmas and New Year) .. Its something the family looks forward to and gives the kids experiences and that extra bonding time as a family that you just don't get with opening a wrapped gift.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Sounds like lots of fun options in your area, minta!

We do like to take DS to drive around and look at Christmas lights one night in December, but DH doesn't think it is the same if there is no snow. Really hoping there is this year!!!

Last year we did a Christmas movie night and watched Arthur Christmas - after DH and I previewed it - and that was fun.

I'd like to do something like that this year as well, but want to find a Christmas movie DS hasn't seen yet. Will have to do some research! My plan is to do this earlier in December and give DS a Christmas PJ box with Christmassy PJs, the new movie, the copy of The Pajama Elves I ordered and some movie snacks.

I also did gingerbread house decorating with DS last year and I think we will definitely repeat that and try to do it a night that DH can join us this time.

I've got some simple Christmas crafts planned so DS can make ornaments for the tree.

This will be our first year to do a letter to/from Santa so that is exciting!

And I'm planning one night in December where we'll have a candlelight/light of the tree dinner - with a nice table setting and Grinch punch.

I really want to have "memories" created from the season - as opposed to it just being about gifts like has been said. :)

We will have our annual Christmas party for friends and their families too - right now I am planning on doing that the first Saturday in December. Last year we had a main dish + sides + appetizers. Everyone just ate appetizers so this year I'm just planning on a ton of those and punch and I think we'll be golden!

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
AJ I love your idea of having Christmas dinner by the light of the Christmas trees/Christmas Lights - May have to borrow that idea.

We haven't done ginger bread houses in a few years. I will have to find a night to pencil that n - Thanks for the reminder.

Have you made the snowmen on a Christmas ball using DS handprint? Makes for great gifts for grandparents.

tanya

Premiere Member
Jan 8, 2012
Ours is a bit different because of our weather. Many activities are centred on being outside and outdoors.

We have a big collection of Christmas movies. This year we have decided to actually make a list of what we have and watch each of them- kind of like a tick box thing where each gets watched. We won't do this every night but will start in late November to build the excitement. DS although getting older now loves them as much as I do.

We have an Elf (Walter) but don't do the normal concept of Elf on the Shelf. Some days Walter just leaves a note with a small gift (like chocolate) to say Merry Christmas but he is tired today and is taking the day off. Sometimes he will appear at random times during the day- because of swim mornings its too early to organise and there is no time to appreciate his antics.

DS finishes school for the year on the 1st of Dec- so teacher gifts are done early. Same as school Christmas activities. There is a school church service. The school is not a religious school but it does have both an Easter and Christmas service. Parents go as well. There is also a whole school Christmas lunch- I always help- its a whole day of fun!

Tree going up day. Our Elf arrives on this day and brings a basket of goodies. Usually a new Christmas movie, new pyjamas (for both DS and myself), chocolate coins- an English tradition that is popular in Australia, maybe a new Christmas coffee cup or similar. This way instead of a Christmas Eve box we have the things to use throughout December.

We will go for a drive to look at Christmas lights- some streets are renowned for having the whole area done.

I would love to go to a show before Christmas- when DS was little we used to go to The Wiggles- children's entertainers. Not sure if they are known in the USA but they are massive here for pre-schoolers! The are from Sydney and traditionally they finish their year with Christmas shows in Sydney. But DS is far too old now! Id still go!! I wish that there were pantomimes like in England but no luck. Aladdin is just about to start here- Im hoping that they will extend the season to go closer to Christmas. I have held off on purchasing tickets. We both really enjoy musical theatre.

Carols by Candlelight- big on our Christmas activities- we will go to our local one on the beach and possibly to the big Sydney wide event. The big event is also televised so we could also watch it at home and have a picnic dinner.

Other than that its lots of beach time, outdoor time, relaxed easy meals like BBQ and picnics.

And I will probably have a Boxing Day BBQ for friends and their kids. Kind of a tradition now! Christmas is the time of big tides here and if the weather co-operates the beach is magical! We wander down for a swim about 10 am. People tend to drop in from about 2pm ish. It started years ago and is a lovely way to catch up after the busyness and family events before Christmas. Very casual, beach attire is expected! Kids swim in the pool- often adults too!

Last edited:

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
tanya - DS absolutely LOVED the Wiggles when he was younger! :) He would have lost his mind going to see them live! lol

All of your celebrations sound lovely!

tanya

Premiere Member
Jan 8, 2012
AJ- The Wiggles put on a great show- even for adults! Every show is different. Being from Sydney they used to perform here a bit. We used to go at least twice a year sometimes three times from the time that DS was about 2 til he was 5. I pretty much had to drag him when he was 5. He refused to go after that. I was very upset!

They were really good in the fact that ticket prices were also affordable. Many shows and such here are out of the reach of the average family.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
LOL to dragging him at age 5! :)

We do not go to many shows for the same reason here! Although, I do try to keep an eye on our local civic and community theaters for children's productions. They are much more reasonable when it comes to prices!!!

I've been hoping to see a children's Christmas play come up for this year on their website but they may not be doing it anymore.

Right now, they are doing Mary Poppins :)

I do see that this year they are putting on It's A Wonderful Life at Christmas-time!

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
LOL to dragging him at age 5! :)

We do not go to many shows for the same reason here! Although, I do try to keep an eye on our local civic and community theaters for children's productions. They are much more reasonable when it comes to prices!!!

I've been hoping to see a children's Christmas play come up for this year on their website but they may not be doing it anymore.

Right now, they are doing Mary Poppins :)

I do see that this year they are putting on It's A Wonderful Life at Christmas-time!

If the Disney on Ice comes to your area, sign up for email notifications from ticket master and Disney on Ice. They usually have special discounted tickets on certain days but these are usually available months before the shows. We have gotten seats 10 rows back from the ice for $15 each plus tax/fees. for 4 of us it was well under $100.