Christmas in July 2017

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
Washington, the Evergreen State
I know it's only April but are there any thoughts about Christmas in July this year? As usual, I'm in planning mode and excited to start thinking about ideas.

Reactions: Minta

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
Just thinking off the top of my head: Christmas character week Santa, Snowman, Gingerbread people, Rudolph,Elf, Bear, Penguin, etc featuring 1 or 2 a day.
We have done themes in the past but have we ever narrowed it down to a single room? What about Family traditions? I love the idea someone here shared about Santa gifts are always wrapped in red and white stripped paper? Another week might be "all natural" aka nature. Is there a difference between Rustic decor and Country Decor? What about Contemporary. Glam? Christmas around the world?

Pamela Thanks for getting the brain juices flowing. Oh would a week on wreaths be too much? Hmmm will keep brainstorming.

Last edited:
Reactions: Minta and PamelaG

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
I need to start thinking about my CIJ blogposts! Thanks for the reminder

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
Those are some great ideas, Jody. I don't think you can ever share too much about wreaths! I'm going to send Ginger a message to see what she has planned and if we can help out with ideas in any way.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Last year CIJ just kind of past me by. I need to organize something now.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
It might be a good idea to try any recipes that we are considering using in December. That way if they are not ideal we have time to scrap that recipe and come up with other ideas.

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
I received a response from Ginger and she said she'd love to have us organize Christmas in July 2017. There are some great ideas on here already. I'm going to recap the themes from the last few years and then add in the suggestions so far but just because we did something a year or two ago doesn't mean we can't do it again if that's the consensus. How about May 1st to make a final decision on this year's themes?

2013:
Week 1: I’m Dreaming of a White Christmas (white color schemes, snow themes, snowmen décor, “snowy” recipes, etc.)
Week 2: Silver and Gold (color schemes, wrapping, ornaments, centerpieces, etc.)
Week 3: It’s a Sweet Christmas (candy tablescapes, recipes, décor, ornaments, and other sweet items for celebrating the holidays)
Week 4: Christmas Traditions (personal traditions, ideas from around the world, fun things to make holiday memories)
Week 5: Planning 2013 (share personal goals, plans and ideas for 2013)

2014: (Overall theme: Magical Christmas)
Week 1: Trees, Treasures, and Traditions
Week 2: Magical Recipes
Week 3: Magic Elves 2014
Week 4: A Pinterest Christmas Party
Week 5: Wrap It Up

2015:
Week 1: Color Themes (A sharing of color schemes for Christmas , traditional, and otherwise)
Week 2: Vintage/Shabby Chic: (Everything from a dinner party to the tree to the mantle display....let's talk vintage or shabby chic)
Week 3: Magical Christmas Countdowns...this is the week to talk advent calendars, Twelve days of Christmas or the 24 Days of Christmas or even the Elves Countdown....how do you remember the days of December?
Week 4: Woodland Inspiration/Rustic/Cabin themes (Everything from a party theme to a tree to a mantle display.....let's talk rustic...
Week 5: Christmas in the Kitchen....every thing from menu plans to tablescapes, recipes and how to ....will all be shared this week!

2016:
Week 1: AROUND THE CHRISTMAS TABLE/IN YOUR CHRISTMAS KITCHEN - holiday foods, traditional foods in your family/from your culture or country of origin, gingerbread, cookies, menus, fancy drink recipes, table décor and kitchen decorating...anything and everything to do with food and how to prepare it and serve it.
Week 2: ALL WRAPPED UP - gifts (homemade, age appropriate), gift lists, gift exchanges, stocking stuffers, wrapping styles, gifts from the heart (charitable giving, blessing bags/kits, Angel Trees, Operation Shoebox).
Week 3: DECKING THE HALLS - trees, lighting, indoor/outdoor ideas, nativities, personal style, ornaments (homemade, purchased, hand-me-downs, vintage finds, collectibles), Winter Wonderland, Snowmen, Christmas cottages/villages/trains, penguins.
Week 4: HOLIDAY FUN/ENTERTAINMENT – Christmas movies, music, theater, books, church and school events, special activities and events in your area, games, holiday books, Christmas travel, Christmas markets, parties and party themes, Advent calendars, Elf on the Shelf, Christmas countdowns.

2017 Suggestions:
Week 1 (July 1-July 8): Christmas Characters (Santa, Snowman, Gingerbread People, Rudolph, Elves, Penguin) - how you decorate with them (inside and out), visits to any of the characters, other ideas
Week 2 (July 9-15): Wrapping (paper, boxes, tags, bows, unique ideas, how your organize your supplies) **We had ALL WRAPPED UP last year but there are always new ideas - family members change and children grow up so there are always plenty of new things to share
Week 3 (July 16-July 22): Nature/Rustic/Country (decorations, visits, etc.)
Week 4 (July 23-July 29): Wreaths and other Greenery
Week 5 (July 30-July 31): This can be a wrap-up week or we can incorporate these two days into Week 4

Looking forward to hearing your ideas.

festivefun

Retire Member
Feb 25, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Hi guys. I keep popping in and never posting. So wanted to post to say hi and hope to be more active, especially for CIJ.
As I've not been around I am happy to follow the crowd. The themes that stand out include wrapping, I could try have a wee wrapping party to myself too! Although I have bext to nothing to wrap, but want to set up a wrapping station, albeit in a box....

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
Hi guys. I keep popping in and never posting. So wanted to post to say hi and hope to be more active, especially for CIJ.
As I've not been around I am happy to follow the crowd. The themes that stand out include wrapping, I could try have a wee wrapping party to myself too! Although I have bext to nothing to wrap, but want to set up a wrapping station, albeit in a box....

Welcome Michelle! I have family in Scotland, a bit farther north than you - Aberdeen area - and my sister got married in Berwickshire. My Mum's family were Buchanans.

Wrapping is a great theme - lots of ideas for creative ways to wrap, use of decorative boxes, tubes, bags, etc., lots of fun things on Pinterest.

I popped over to your blog - I see you haven't posted in a while, we've all been at that stage at one time or another. Perhaps Christmas in July will help you get your blog moving again, it certainly did for me one year. Several of us blog through Christmas in July, some post on the daily threads that we have here on the Forums, and others just add their plans in the Chit Chat thread. Whatever works for you, we'll be looking forward to hearing all about your Christmas in July.

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
As my life unfolds as an empty nester I've been thinking about CIJ myself. I normally have a family/friend dinner, but I'm not sure I want to do it without my daughter. I already lost my best friend several years ago and it's been hard enough without her, because she was the life of the party, but without my daughters child like excitement I just don't know how "fun" it would be. Today I toyed with the idea of bringing a friend along on a road trip and taking the party to my daughter. We'll see how that plays out because my friend is recovering from a really bad broken leg. Honestly, that would be ideal and make me happy and not make me feel like I'm walking away from tradition. That was a lot of thought..I hope it all made sense..lol

Reactions: mummytummy

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Christmas in July is something I have not done for many years. I am not sure if this is the year to be planning a dinner or not.
I will think about it a bit more. I like the idea of planning through out July as it is cold here. Maybe a wrapping day would be good. Certainly some planning, trying a recipe or two might be on the agenda.

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
As my life unfolds as an empty nester I've been thinking about CIJ myself. I normally have a family/friend dinner, but I'm not sure I want to do it without my daughter. I already lost my best friend several years ago and it's been hard enough without her, because she was the life of the party, but without my daughters child like excitement I just don't know how "fun" it would be. Today I toyed with the idea of bringing a friend along on a road trip and taking the party to my daughter. We'll see how that plays out because my friend is recovering from a really bad broken leg. Honestly, that would be ideal and make me happy and not make me feel like I'm walking away from tradition. That was a lot of thought..I hope it all made sense..lol

It's great to be thinking about a new twist on your traditions to suit new circumstances. Taking the party on the road sounds like great fun!

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
Last year CIJ slipped right bye me waving Hi/Bye .... Not this year .... This year I want to focus on my gift list especially the homemade gifts ... try new recipes ... Work on a few outdoor decorations that need new lights restrung on them (which I have), watch QVC CIJ and a few Christmas movies.

Reactions: PamelaG

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Today I toyed with the idea of bringing a friend along on a road trip and taking the party to my daughter.

You can certainly do the traveling party to your daughter with or without your friend. New adventures await you. Go for it. I look forward to hearing about the traveling party.

Lolwlias

Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
Cadyville, NY
Every year I tell myself I am going to do a CIJ celebration but every year July passes & I do not. Last year we had our July family dinner outdoors & I am really wanting to do the same thing this year. That means there may not be a CIJ this year either. :)