Christmas in July 2019 - Day Seventeen

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
Washington, the Evergreen State
Hygge gift wrapping. I put a couple of examples up on my blog and a tutorial for you to enjoy.

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
Pamela the examples on your blog is exactly what I have been wanting to do, I have been working trying to use up my Christmas wrapping paper so I could go to the brown paper. Haha a roll of brown paper jump at me from the closet they other day when I was getting something out. So no buying paper this year unless it is brown package paper. So many ways to decorate it, I am thinking cookie cutter stamping.

Reactions: PamelaG

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
I completely love the look of brown paper wrapping dressed up with pretty ribbons, stamping etc.

Plain white paper is equally gorgeous!

I have SO much Christmas wrapping paper that I have not had the heart to go out of my way to purchase the brown or the plain white. I did pick up a couple rolls of plain brown from dollar store once and it was awful - WAY too thick - presents wouldn't stay wrapped no matter how much tape I used - even packing tape! :eek:

I seem to remember someone saying once that you could go the Teacher's supply stores and get big rolls of paper at a not awful price? They would have white for sure!!!

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
Great ideas! I have so much paper that it would have to wait.

You can buy bulletin board paper at the teacher supply store. It is pretty thick, so not perfect for wrapping, IMO. Dollar Tree usually has glossy white available in their everyday section.

Reactions: AuntJamelle

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
Reactions: AuntJamelle

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I too have enough paper to last many years, I pick it up after Christmas for 5 and 10 cent a roll. I do love these gorgeous ideas but I also love the riot of colours of wrapped Christmas presents under the tree.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
I use to have my preschool students make Christmas wrapping paper using the brown paper. They would choose various cookie cutters and then dip it into paint. I also did this with my own children. I would like to do that again when I don't have as many packages to wrap.

Reactions: Ahorsesoul

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
Reactions: Ahorsesoul

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
I love the look and I defiantly incorporate it in each Christmas, but I"m a sucker for paper. It's my downfall...stationary, wrapping paper, scrapbook paper...I love the colors, the patterns, and the textures. But that's the beauty of it..to each their own. The first year my daughter was on her own, she used the brown paper as her preference and added lots of pretties.

DahliaDoll

Premiere Member
Oct 15, 2007
I guess I can't really see hygge and Christmas wrapping in the same context! LOL

What I found worked well when we had children at home was to realize that there was a LOT of wrapping to do, it would make a big mess and take a lot of time. What I did not want to do was to have crunch-wrapping on Christmas eve. To avoid that, DH and I would plan an evening for wrapping after children were in bed asleep. We would get out all the gifts, the wrapping paper, ribbon, tags, etc. We made a good team. DH would wrap each gift in the paper I selected for it and put a sticky note on top with the item and recipient. It would take me longer to embellish each gift with ribbon, bows, and tags, but I enjoyed doing it. We would just stay up as long as it would take. It seemed like a marathon. Truly, we should have simplified the gift giving.

These days with having to mail gifts and being retired, we still plan a time for wrapping, but it can be during the day rather than an all-nighter. I need to try to find creative ways to embellish the gifts with something that won't get crushed in the mailing or come loose.

The hygge comes when it's all finally done.

I've never been one to wrap each gift as I purchase/make it. We do not put any gifts under the tree, even family gifts, until Christmas Eve.