Christmas In July Week 2 10th-16th

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
Week Two (July 10-16) - ALL WRAPPED UP - gifts (homemade, age appropriate), gift lists, gift exchanges, stocking stuffers, wrapping styles, gifts from the heart (charitable giving, blessing bags/kits, Angel Trees, Operation Shoebox).

I assume we were going with these ideals, so brought it up to the boards.

This year not much time to do extra in the evenings and I sure am missing doing stuff for CIJ!

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Right now my Christmas Gift List for 2016 is mainly populated with the various craft projects I've done/have planned. I need to start giving more thought to purchased gifts soon. And review what little bits of fun I've purchased on clearance here and there that can be divided among those on my list.

On my gift list I have each person listed - their gifts - pictures of each gift (if possible) and I use color coding to help me remember what is done/already in hand (green highlight), what is in progress when it comes to crafts (yellow highlight), what has been ordered online (magenta highlight) and so on...

As I wrap gifts I change the text to bold font.

I've got a few different places I ship gifts to and I've been browsing Pinterest for clever and pretty wrapping ideas that are "flat" - as in there isn't a big poofy bow that is going to get squashed during shipping. There are really a lot of pretty ideas out there and I'll be trying some out this year!

I'm feeling the need to spend some time thinking about stocking stuffers soon! I'd love to see some chatter about that. I struggle with what to put in DH's stocking! Women and kids are easier for me when it comes to that!

I've got plans to make breakfast themed gift baskets for several folks this year, I'll post more about that soon - some of my inspiration pics, etc.!

I've got a huge stockpile of Christmas cookie tins in my "North Pole" storage area - I give cookie tins to a lot of folks! Including the ones I ship to! I'm going to try a trick this year I found on Pinterest - you put plain soft tortilla shells inside the tin, in between layers of wax paper that separate your cookies. It is supposed to keep the cookies soft! Has anyone ever done something like this?

Okay, I'll take a break there for now! :)

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
I picked up two stocking stuffers from World Market today for DGSs. Some baseball themed wrapped candy (25% off) and two noise makers (75% off).

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Ordered 2 stockings stuffers on AllieExpress. A nurse bracelet for dd and a Cincinnati Bengals bracelet for ds.

tanya

Premiere Member
Jan 8, 2012
I just shop and the allocate the gifts as time gets closer (for DS and myself only).Just because I have purchased it this year does not mean it will be given this year. It could carry over to a birthday or other event. Others I have a list and I try to work to it. All in all I don't have a lot that I purchase actual gifts for but I do have a lots that get token/ small gifts. Neighbours get wine or chocolates. Teachers get wine. Luke's class teacher gets good French Champagne. Swim Coach good French Champagne. I never, ever pay full price for these items. I have already the good champagne for Class Teacher and Swim Coach- purchased when there was a bundle deal on- saved me just over $90.

I have a wrap theme thing happening. It makes my life easier when it comes to putting gifts out on Christmas Eve.

DS's things from Santa have 1 wrap.
My things from Santa have 1 wrap.
Merlin and Kelso's things from Santa have 1 wrap.
All stuffer items get wrapped as well.- although we dont have actual stockings, we have a sack each!

I give DS one gift from me. Merlin and Kelso get one gift from me. These are wrapped the same as anything that we give to others.

Anything that we give to others have a different wrap. Last year I used brown paper with red Christmas ribbon and small silver ornaments.
This year I have blue/ silver paper with small baubles and silver ribbon. Each gets a handmade tag.

I end up having lots and lots left over- I always overbuy. But my wrapping is always finished by Dec 1st. I give the leftovers to my cleaning lady- she is not as organised and she struggles financially so this helps her. Wrap and trimmings can be expensive! It also gets it out of the house as I don't want DS finding any leftovers.

I shopped heavily in the after Christmas sales and have wrap now for 2 complete years so 2016 and 2017 is covered. This January I will pick up another complete set so the process flows from year to year.

It sounds like a lot of work but it actually makes it easy. Although I don't wrap until I have everything bought. Then I do it in kind of a production line.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Tanya, Love how you wrap, that you buy the wrapping items on sale and keep a supply on hand.

Last edited:

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
I am just short of a problem when it comes to my stock of gift wrap supplies! I have two large rectangular gift wrap totes that are FULL of rolls of wrapping paper, gift tag sheets, tissue paper, etc. Then I have a stand up gift wrap tote that is full of all the rolls of paper that are too long to fit in the totes.

I have a standard size tote that is FULL of rolls of wired ribbon in various Christmas themes. Some of it I purchased at Hobby Lobby at 40% off, the rest I've found at garage sales over the last couple of years. Very common to find wired ribbon, brand new on the roll for cheap!

Then I have another cardboard box full of the paper bows.

Then I have a old paper box from Staples full of gift bags and another small box full of curling ribbon.

Finally I have a small collection of "doo dads" - little items that can be used to embellish packages - jingle bells, silk flowers, inexpensive ornaments from the dollar store, etc.

I also have been saving all the boxes we've received packages in, from Amazon, etc. and have quite a stack of them - I'll use these to wrap gift items that aren't already square. Much easier to wrap a box than an odd sized item!

I also have a large black trash bag full of packing filler - sheets of heavy paper that are saved from trips to stores where they sent delicate things home wrapped up, bubble wrap and the inflated plastic bags that come in boxes from Amazon to buffer the items inside. When I pack boxes to ship I pull from this bag to snug all the wrapped gifts in place so they don't shift around.

All in all, it does take up a large chunk of storage space in "The North Pole" room upstairs but it's nice to have a stockpile! All purchased at rock bottom prices at after Christmas sales, etc.

I don't think I'll be buying any wrapping supplies for at least a few years to come!!!

DahliaDoll

Premiere Member
Oct 15, 2007
Lana ~ Thanks for starting off this thread.

AuntJamelle ~ Flat wrapping ideas … Have you ever done 3-D decoupage? You can get free decoupages on the internet with Christmas themes. If you’re not familiar with it, just Google 3-D decoupage tutorial. You might also cut the ends off of large plastic bottles, or find large round cardboard tubes to cut and place them over bows on packages to protect them in shipping. I’d be very interest in other ideas you find.
Stocking stuffers can get to be expensive. I like to get the person’s favorite candy, and it helps take up space in our rather large stockings.

I think charitable gifts in honor of someone makes a very nice gift, especially for people who “have everything”.

Years ago, when DD’s were little, I realized that we always ended up staying up late into the evening (Christmas Eve of course) to get everything wrapped. I decided that if that was the way we do it, we should pick a wrapping night (NOT Christmas Eve) and get it done! DH puts the paper on, and I embellish with bows, tags, etc. With the girls grown and on their own, we don’t need to do that anymore, but we do pick a day or two to work on the wrapping together.

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
I made another batch of Strawberry jam this week. I need to start buying material so I can top the jars that are being used for gifts.

I have been search recipes on line and plan to go through my cook books this week. This year the extended family gifts will be mostly consumable goodies from the kitchen topped off with a few little things that I picked up sale.

I also stock up on wrapping paper, gift tags and bows right after Christmas. Gifts that need to be mailed will be wrapped in Nov while everything else gets wrapped in Dec. I always start my Christmas vacation from work either the day before or the day of the kids last day of school before Christmas break. That is when I wrap their gifts.

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
I, too, shop the after Christmas sales for my gift wrapping supplies for the next Christmas. I lay everything out on the bed together before I pack it away and take a picture with my cellphone so I can pull it up and look at it to see what I might need to pick up before I start wrapping. It also lets me see what color scheme I have going for wrapping.

Like Tanya, I sort of have a wrapping theme. We join my sisters and their families at my mom's (sometimes, when they come) at some point during the holidays. Their gifts are wrapped in a certain paper so I can easily identify them when it's time to pull them from under the tree and go to my mom's. My immediate family's is wrapped in a different theme/collection of papers.

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
We only do immediate family gifts and my mom (only living parent). I will wrap the gifts with a color theme. depending on what I find on sale after Christmas. Last year was Christmas plaid. I choose a coordinating ribbon or just use scraps of sewing trims. My all time favorite wrapping is brown mailing paper and white string. My main Christmas tree is decorated in mostly nature decor and it adds to the more natural look.

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
I have a ton of assorted Christmas papers. I have always liked a theme color ideal but then I buy paper after Christmas of all kinds. I probably don't need to buy for a few years but so pretty. Have a tote of sacks too.

I should get Allen wrapping what I have with him down now.....

Minta, have you ever purchased or seen the Food Gifts magazine that comes out yearly from Better Homes and Gardens? Has different ideals for food gifts and packaging. Jellies, sauces, cookies, breads etc.

I was hoping to can salsa and gift it and grow sponges for bath baskets.

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
I have a ton of assorted Christmas papers. I have always liked a theme color ideal but then I buy paper after Christmas of all kinds. I probably don't need to buy for a few years but so pretty. Have a tote of sacks too.

I should get Allen wrapping what I have with him down now.....

Minta, have you ever purchased or seen the Food Gifts magazine that comes out yearly from Better Homes and Gardens? Has different ideals for food gifts and packaging. Jellies, sauces, cookies, breads etc.

I was hoping to can salsa and gift it and grow sponges for bath baskets.

I have seen the magazines in the stores but never bought one. Maybe I will look into one this year. Thanks

tanya

Premiere Member
Jan 8, 2012
Lana,

I have never heard of growing sponges. I googled it but it was not a lot of help??? Im confused???

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
I am talking about luffas. We grow them every so often and then you let them dry and bust the shell and shake seeds out. You can wash them in a mild bleach water if you want them brighter looking. Good on heels and such.

tanya

Premiere Member
Jan 8, 2012
We call them Loofa's here. I would be lost without mine! I had no idea that you could actually grow them- how cool!

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I was off base just a little. lol

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
lol! this is funny with the sponges. didn't know you could grow the luffas, how cool

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Here is my inspiration pic for the breakfast themed gift baskets I’m doing this year!

http://curlyqpaper.blogspot.com/2014/12/pancake-breakfast-gift-basket.html

I plan to gift one basket locally and ship the other 3. The one I’ll give locally will be gifted in person where I slip the OJ and bacon in at the last minute. I’ll have to leave those items and the champagne out for the ones I ship.

Things I’ll fill the baskets with include: DIY Pancake Mixes; Real Maple Syrup (Aldi has a bottle size that will be perfect), Mini Sweet Breads; Almond Mango Blueberry Sauce (1/2 Pint Jar for alternate pancake topping); Apple Butter ½ Pint; Kitchen Towel (either purchased or a plain one I embroider)

I love the baker’s twine and chalkboard gift tags part of the look of the link I posted above! Mix that with the red/white kitchen towel, some red basket filler, etc. and it should look really good!

I’ve also mentioned that I’ve been looking for ideas for “flat” wrapping ideas – for gifts that will be stacked in boxes for shipping. Here are a few I’m considering:

Confetti Gift Wrap – The link below is a basic tutorial but the finished looks have endless possibilities when combining paper colors and different confetti “filler”

http://www.diys.com/confetti-gift-wrap/

White Raffia + Stickers Idea– This basic idea could be duplicated with baker’s twine, string, metallic cording, even yarn!

http://www.midwestliving.com/holidays/christmas/easy-christmas-gift-wrap-ideas/?page=6

Washi Tape/Paper Christmas Tree – Very cute!

http://www.midwestliving.com/holidays/christmas/easy-christmas-gift-wrap-ideas/?page=14

Stitches and Strings – Love this one! Combination of baker’s twine and simple felt shapes stitched with a design…

http://www.midwestliving.com/holidays/christmas/easy-christmas-gift-wrap-ideas/?page=30

Woven Ribbons

http://www.midwestliving.com/holidays/christmas/easy-christmas-gift-wrap-ideas/?page=35

Snowflake / Other Cutouts…

http://www.beadandcord.com/clipper/kellie.mookjai.1369114/diy-snowflakes-40194/242230.html

DIY Snowflakes, Etc.

http://www.beadandcord.com/clipper/bonnie.ruiz.1370102/diy-gift-wrapping-10287/40543.html

[size=+2]Oh, and DJ?[/size] Thanks, thanks A LOT for sending me down the rabbit hole of 3D Decoupage!!! lol :) I’m so excited to try it!