Crafters Challenge August 13th-19th, 2017

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
Welcome to the middle of August!!!!!!!!!!!

DD, I knew you had one in each of those states, for some reason I was thinking one in Ark. too. I love how they are crafty!

Lucie, glad to see you doing the knitting! I have thought of taking a class when they have it at the college but haven't seen it advertised lately.

AJ, do you have a lot of felt gift items to do for Christmas?

I know others of you are working on items too. PLEASE share!

Have a GREAT crafting week!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DahliaDoll

Premiere Member
Oct 15, 2007
Greetings!

All's quiet here this Sunday morning. Tomorrow begins an extensive landscaping project which will include the removal of 5 tall evergreen trees to be replaced by more tall evergreens and fencing. I do not like to be around when this type of work is being done, so I'm trying to plan some outings, but hanging out in the studio will also provide some seclusion from the work in progress.

That said, I will be working to finish the quilt that DD started for Sonja. I need to finish the applique flowers, then sandwich, quilt and bind.

I will be going on a personal quilt shop-hop with a friend on Tuesday (the day the trees are scheduled to be cut down) to search out fabrics for the planned I-Spy quilts.

And in the evenings, I plan to get back to the felt stocking kit(s).

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
DD it does sound like you have plans to take you away from it. When the guys burn the pastures I HATE being here. One year the fire department did it for training but mom and I still went shopping.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
I've been trying to practice some knitting but it's not turning out as it should. will have to watch a youtube tutorial. will try to call the lady tomorrow so we can finish the heels and start on the feet. also want to start a 2nd pair and a scarf... feeling ambitious!

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Good morning, fellow crafters!!! :)

Lana - YES! I have quite a few more felt projects left to wrap up! STILL haven to pick up where I left off on the felt purses project! Finished another felt donut last night and almost done with the 3rd one. Have several other felt food projects planned too. Then there is the fleece blanket with felt applique project waiting for me. And finally a set of sewing accessories made from felt for a good friend. A scissors keeper, a felt covered retractable measuring tape, a needle book and an altered Altoid tin for holding notions, pins, etc.

I was really hoping to make more progress this weekend but choose to power wash the deck railings instead. Between that, back to school shopping, housework, food prep and doing some wrapping my weekend flew right by!

DD - Good luck working "around" your landscaping project!

Lucie - Good for you on the knitting! I'm very much a beginning knitter myself - YouTube is a great resource!

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
well no knitting-lady today as she had some appointments. but I did try again a part I had trouble with... not so bad but I will have a few questions next time I go.

Doodlebug

MHH Member
Jan 11, 2010
Oklahoma
I am going to be working on my last Advent Calendar. It is wooden and has drawers to pull out, and the boxes go around the outside edges. The inside has a place to decorate also.

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
I was able to get one of the fabric books embellished today. Looks goods if I do say so myself. Next step is cutting the interfacing and sewing. This will probably go to my boss's daughter (she actually helped me with it today). It was an item her DGM had in her sewing stash. (Grandma passed in April.) I have another one for her brother The story of Elf on the Shelf that I will do for him.

DahliaDoll

Premiere Member
Oct 15, 2007
Lots happening here this week!

Jody ~ Nice of you to to finish those items for your boss' DD and DS. Can you show us pictures?

I'm making good progress on Sonja's quilt. I hope to finish the free motion quilting on the borders today and perhaps get the binding sewn on. Then done!

Yesterday I did some shop-hopping with a friend and found quite a few more fabrics for the I-Spy quilts. Perhaps I could get those in some kind of order to be able to do some piecing on our travel trailer trip scheduled in September/October.

DahliaDoll

Premiere Member
Oct 15, 2007
Greetings!

On my shopping trip, I also found some wonderful fabric for a little dress for Julia. It’s a border print with woodland animals around the edge. I’m not sure if I’ll make it soon enough to make a size 2, but it’s the same yardage for size 3, so could just go with that.

At a local quilt shop, I saw a sign with "Quilters' Acronyms", a couple of which were new to me ...

• NESTY - Not Even STarted Yet
  • WOMBAT - Waste Of Money, Batting And Time

FrostyShimmer

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
I've been working on a sweater for DD6. It is a big chunky sweater with wide pockets that can each hold a paperback. I think it is called a "library" sweater. I'm also going to knit a little bookworm to put in the pocket and then either a giftcard to Chapters or a paperback in each of the book pockets (I always make them each something homemade.) The problem is the baby started teething, and I went from working on it every night to taking six weeks off. Now I can't remember where I left off. I have a little plastic stitch counter where you hit a button to keep track of where you are, and DD4 found it, walked into my room and said. "Look what I found Mommy!" as she clicked it repetitively.

Has anyone else ever put a project down for so long you can't remember where to pick it back up again? I'm on a sleeve.....wondering if I should take it off and start over, or if having the yarn sit so long knit up would leave it looking crinkled.

Also, despite buying 20% extra over the yarn requirements, I have a sneaking suspicion I am going to run out of yarn before I'm finished and have to add some funky stripes to the bottom!

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
AJ I am in awe of what you can. You hand stitch it all right?

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Awwwww...thanks! :)

Yes, I am much more comfortable with a needle and thread in my hand than on a sewing machine. Of course, I stick to small projects :)

DahliaDoll

Premiere Member
Oct 15, 2007
Greetings!

Kim ~ How's it going? Haven't seen any posts from you for a while. After all the graduation projects, I imagine you are on a crafting hiatus for a while.

FrostyShimmer ~ I think the yarn will be fine if you frog it and re-knit. Blocking the finished product will help, too. Adding a stripe "design element" if you're short on yarn will be an added personal touch. Sounds like a really wonderful gift your DD will love!

I got a good start on the I-Spy quilts yesterday. I got 12 of the fabric strips sewn and sub-cut into 4 each of 6 different blocks. Two identical blocks will be in each quilt. There will be bias edges to sew together, so I'm starching the strips as I go. I'll be extra glad for my IDT (dual feed/walking foot) on my sewing machine.

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
FS, hope you figure out where you are.

AJ, does wonderful felt work!

DD, is always moving right along.

I did purchase some fabric this a.m.. I got a deer panel for future project. Got a panel to make deer pillows. I might have to get another one and give each nephew 2 instead of 1 and then got a panel with little quilt sayings on a square. 28 in a yard. Thinking will do one along with another gift for the 12 days of Christmas.