Crafters Challenge Dec. 25th thru Jan. 1st, 2017!!!

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

KimD

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
CNY
I am going to try and get back into making at least one thing each week. I have had wine glasses sitting in a bag in my room since a project that I made for Christmas last year. So I decided last night as my dd and two dn's were in the basement making their own wood signs that these are the first things to get rid of. I have ds going off to college this coming August but then last night it hit me youngest dd and one of my two dn will be heading off to college the following August. I said to my niece last night this is the end of me making you stuff she told me oh no you are doing all the decor for my dorm when I go to college plus I know its out of love you make me stuff anyone can go to the store and buy something. She has everything I have ever made her since she was a baby.

So I decided I will make candle holders for the girls out of the wine glasses with their initials on them. Since today isnt that bad out I think I could get out there to spray paint them

Doodlebug

MHH Member
Jan 11, 2010
Oklahoma
Don't have time to craft right now, and possibly won't the month of January if my plans go the way I am hoping. But after that it is going to be craft central station at my house.

DahliaDoll

Premiere Member
Oct 15, 2007

Greetings!

Kim ~ What a heartwarming story! Thanks for sharing it.

We had a very nice Christmas Eve and Christmas day and such happy little DGDs! Iris continues to have a very generous giving spirit and receives each gift with much joy! The mermaid afghan I made for her is her “second favorite present”. The first favorite being the little stuffed otter she asked Santa for. I did update my blog with some Christmas cheer!

My plans for this week are a bit sketchy. I have CCS and knitting I could work on here in Anchorage. When we get home (Wednesday), I will want to do some craftermath control so I can make some serious progress on a growth chart for Julia’s first birthday (February). It will involve some machine embroidery applique for her name as well as a quilted backing. I’m planning to make a convergence quilt with pink and green fabrics.

Last edited:

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
Sounds good Debbie. How did the property looking go?

I was thinking an all homemade Christmas next year for the most part. Of course my kids, SIL and Teigan would get other stuff.

GrammaDeb

Premiere Member
Jan 4, 2014
Nevada
I'm going to mark my 2017 calendar with stickers & birthdays. I would like to crochet some fingerless mittens. Also crochet on a winter afghan - I started it 2 years ago - just haven't been real motivated to get it done.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
This week I plan to make some pretty tags to label the baskets I bought and filled in our living room closet - they hold our hats, gloves, etc. for each person. Other than that my plans are more centered around cleaning up the explosion of wrapping related items upstairs and getting things situated in my North Pole storage room to allow for an efficient pack it up process for all the Christmas decor!

Will be looking over craft ideas though! I do have some things I want to finish by DS birthday on Feb 5th - need to get moving on those!

DahliaDoll

Premiere Member
Oct 15, 2007
I did a little brainstorming yesterday on the computer around planning the growth chart. I even used Excel for some calculations around how to cut the fabric for the convergence quilt to get the size I want.

I also finished up a knit dish cloth with the exception of sewing in the ends. I'll do that today and give it to DD.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
This week I will continue to work on the large rug that I am crocheting. I like the fact that I can just pick it up when I want.
Went a pinned some ideas on Pintrest last night. Really don't need any more projects to do, but a girl can dream.

KimD

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
CNY
My niece is always sending me stuff can you please make me this. Early October she called me and said I need a Christmas wreath like yesterday. I told her that I just made her a new one last year she said that is for her bedroom door she needed one for the front door and she wanted red/green so what do I do take it to her the next day because I don't know how to say no to her. I really would love to make her a softball wreath like the baseball ones that are all over pinterest. That may be her birthday present.

I have one wine glass that just needs clear coat on it and it will be done and two more in the works hopefully will get those finished today also. I think that for the rest of the week I am also going to try and get the rest of the stuff I have for Christmas wreaths used up at least the bases that way they are ready to decorate later in the year. Also means that I can use the two totes that stuff is taking up for other things. I have to remember that I have to get burlap to make a wreath up for someone that said anytime after Christmas they would get for a spring wedding.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
I picked up a bunch of baker's twine in different colors at the after Christmas sales which I've tucked away for craft projects this year! :)

One of my presents from DH was a set of 3 rolling plastic drawer sets. I've already started filling them with all my different sheets of felt. I will have different colors and their scraps neatly organized into each drawer when I'm done. This will also help me keep wool felt apart from the cheaper kind!

I'm getting the itch to pull out my sewing machine and start playing too! And I vow to use my Cricut a LOT more this year! Such an underused resource right now!

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
I bought 18 see-through ornaments for crafting next year :)

started some crochet boot cuffs last night.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I have to remember that I have to get burlap to make a wreath up for someone that said anytime after Christmas they would get for a spring wedding.

I've been setting up messages on my calendar so I remember to get things or not pick up things. I have Christmas cards for next year so in Oct I have a message that I do not need to buy them. I want to make cookies with DD friend so she has cookies plates to take to her family party so I have two messages in Nov to remind me. I need to put in a message to order those chocolate filled candy canes for next year early.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I finished a large crocheted rug tonight while watching the Crown.
I have enough girly wool for 1 more smaller rug and then I will start on boys rugs. After that I will need to ask for more wool.
I would like to get 6 or 7 rugs finished by the winter so that my charity has a good pile at their first stall.

DahliaDoll

Premiere Member
Oct 15, 2007
Greetings!

Kim ~ I make myself calendar notes too of what I need or don’t need for the coming Christmas (or other events). Also, sometimes I note where I put things that I’ve already purchased, like Christmas and birthday cards.

I’m home now and starting to work on Julia’s growth chart. I did more calculating this morning for the convergence quilt background, and have put the digitized machine embroidery letters onto the computer stick to transfer those to the embroidery machine.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I love the idea of writing in the diary what we do not need. I do not need cards, ribbon or wrapping paper, so for October I will make an entry saying so.
What a great time/money saver.