Crafters Challenge December 3rd-December 9th

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
Good Morning!

Teigan and I did do an ornament this week. it was listed for a 3 yr old but....just saying. She peeled off the stickers things for a short time and then told g'ma you can do it.

Seems several of you were moving along last week! So proud!

There is a blog I go to once in awhile and I saw a cute free motion quilting video on it. it is www.afewscraps.com of course never get around to trying things but.... I marked it. The cathedral one is one I like, along with lots of other stuff she has on it.

What is your plan for the week?

Happy Crafting!!!!

DahliaDoll

Premiere Member
Oct 15, 2007
Greetings!

Lana ~ Cute story of crafting with Teigan. Thanks for the link. She’s a good instructor. I may try the lazy 8 pattern on the sashings of the next I-Spy quilt (after the holidays).

This week, I should sandwich the red poinsettia placemats and set them aside till I finish any Christmas gift items. I’m pretty un-inspired this year though. I want to make the ornaments for DGDs, hair bun ties for Iris, and thread catchers for DDs. I’m also working on baby/child knit hats for donation.

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
Sorry think it is the kaliscope (sp.) that I like!!!!

DD, do your daughters sew a lot?

I have moms caddy to do and wanting to put a thread catcher on it. Plus the microwave bowl holders yet.

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
I’m pretty un-inspired this year though. I want to make the ornaments for DGDs, hair bun ties for Iris, and thread catchers for DDs. I’m also working on baby/child knit hats for donation.[/QUOTE]

You are the last person I would describe as uninspired. You inspire me to do more. Many of the UFOs I have are now getting done due to inspiration I have gotten from you. You stay focused and get so much done. There is no excuse for me. I have made plans for 2018 because you.

Reactions: sweetpumkinpye

DahliaDoll

Premiere Member
Oct 15, 2007
Lana ~ Both of my DDs enjoy sewing, but with small children, they don’t have much time to do it. I don’t think either one of them actually took any lessons, but they can really follow directions beautifully. Online tutorials are wonderful for them.

Miss JoDee ~ Thank you so very much for your kind words! I’m delighted to be an inspiration. I find the weekly challenges are very motivational for me. Makes me really hate to have a project become a long-lingering UFO. As for my comment about lack of inspiration, I think it’s towards getting started on some of my planned Christmas gifts. I seem to keep putting them off. No one project should actually take that long to do, I just have to take the first step and I’ll be off and running. I’m feeling a little Bah-Humbug about Christmas this year. Won’t have any family around except DH, so we are taking off on a ski trip. So that gives me something to look forward to.

I have kept track of my UFOs since 2009 and prior. I find I’m making slow but positive progress every year. I have 3 from 2009 and one is probably going to be a TOAD (Trashed Object Abandoned in Disgust/Disillusionment). From 2010, I have one UFO quilt. From 2011 and '12 I have 1 possible TOAD from each year. 2013 yields 1 quilt. NONE from 2014 and 15! YAY! Unfortunately, I still have 5 from 2016, but will add only 3 for 2017 (if I don’t finish them by the end of the year), but those are actually WIPs at this point. The UFO quilts don’t nag at me. If/when I have a definite use/recipient for one, I have a good start and can complete one in relatively short time.

Okay, today I got the placemats sewn and turned and 4 matching napkins serged and ready to turn and hem. I need to force myself to set them aside until I get some Christmas gifts made.

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
I agree that DD inspires us all! I am the last person to actually be doing this thread....SINCE I can't seem to get stuff done. When I have time I am tired! Lousy excuse but....

DahliaDoll

Premiere Member
Oct 15, 2007
Lana ~ Thank you! You've got a lot going on, so don't feel guilty about taking a break from crafting if you're exhausted. If you tried, you'd probably end up frogging! You're still making some good progress. And your leading up the threads each week is greatly appreciated!

I finished a little hat last night. The yarn color is called ice cream. I really like the pattern and, although I wonder about the color name, it does look yummy! I want to get a larger pom-pom maker, as mine look a little small. Still cute.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I have hit a lull with crafting this past year but I would like to thank you all for inspiring me and pushing me to get things done. Hoping to get back into some serious crafting in 2018
Will sit down very soon and make a list.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
We had a good year of crafting :) Dropped off a gift to knitting lady as she doesn't want me to pay her. Bought her: a bottle of her favorite wine (asked her DIL), a crochet case, a book to write her patterns in and an assortment of wooden buttons. I hope she likes it!

DahliaDoll

Premiere Member
Oct 15, 2007
Greetings!

Lucie ~ That’s a wonderful way to say thank you!

When looking at the yarn label for the Ice Cream hat to put on my blog, I realized that the name of the yarn is Ice Cream, the name of the color is Lemon Swirl. That explains it. I have added some pictures to my blog. If you want to see Julia in her Halloween costume, scroll down a bit to the second set of hat pictures.

Ornaments for DGDs are done except for signing the back of two of them.

While I was in the studio, I wanted to check for some Christmas fabric that I might be able to use for a table topper (octagon) to go with the placemats. I had a pretty poinsettia print and ended up getting the pieces cut and sewn together. Now that gets set aside with the placemats and napkins. Would love to get those finished, but still have Christmas gifts to make. I should mail them next week!

I finally got one more hair bun tie made. They go together pretty quickly. Then I got sidetracked again and worked on a Christmas card tuck-in idea. Those are such fun little projects.

I’m still noodling around with the chenille reindeer wall hanging. It’s not very square, so I’m going to try to block it out. If that doesn’t work, I’m not sure if I will have the resolve to take the binding off and square it up or not. Except for that glitch, I really like it.

I also did a little stitching on a Christmas CCS motif last night.

DahliaDoll

Premiere Member
Oct 15, 2007
Greetings!

I’m charging ahead! I have one more thread catcher to make and perhaps some felt food (pancakes, syrup and butter) for Christmas gifts. Then, I can get back to a couple things I want for myself. I’m not sure they will get done for me to enjoy this Christmas season, but at least for next year. Those include the poinsettia placemats and octagon table topper.

I also have an idea to make a slip cover for a little bench at our front entry with fabric that coordinates with the reindeer wall hanging. That will probably lead to other “seasonal” slip covers. It’s something that I’ve been wanting to do ever since we got the bench a few years ago.

You can see the reindeer wall hanging on my blog.