Crafters Challenge February 12th-18th

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
Welcome to ALL!!!!

It seems several of you are working on creating something. All sounds so nice.

Somebody got a new toy to play with!!!! :) :):) I know DD will put it to good use!

I did not do anything creative or even buy anything in that department.

I do think (maybe--will change my mind probably) that I have the 2 items picked out for the CIJ swap and also the 12 days of Christmas.

Would like to try to make a couple blankets for a metal doll bed we got for Teigan last Sat. at a flea market place. Need to make like a mat for it too. It is a bed and then has a pull down to make it a double. Will see tho cuz still cleaning. No end to that right?

What are your plans for the week?

KimD

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
CNY
Lana didn't you say something about your daughter buying a Cameo or circut? I am trying to find out about them I am really considering purchasing one mainly to make stencils but some other stuff to sell to make it pay for it's self

Yesterday I went and picked up 24 wine bottles from someone that had them on garage sale site on facebook my mom ended up knowing her. She said she has that amount about every 6 months she will just contact us when she has them for me to pick up. Came home soaked them to get labels off, only a couple Kayla has to work on getting glue off (she does all that hard work for me, then I have to go buy her new nail polish or make up for doing so fair trade I guess). I already have 4 painted I ran out of black spray paint so used regular canned paint we shall see today how they turned out after dry. If need second coat I will do early today so that I can get them decorated tonight.

I started working on a card box for Kenny's graduation party. I am trying to keep track on how long it takes me to get this thing made so far I have worked maybe 3 hours on it this past week.

This week
Kayla get glue off wine bottles that labels didn't just come off
work on Kenny's grad card box
work on wine bottle sets
Easter wreath that I want to get done
finish up one wreath I have started
finish up center piece thing that is just about done but just sitting there
Farm fresh Egg wood sign
figure out this kids chair I want to make

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
Kim, Jaymee brought a Circut Explorer Air 2. I have a regular Circut. She is working on some wine glasses but having some trouble with the glitter.
The winery here will give people the empty wine bottles free. It is about 20 minutes away in Mt. Vernon.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Kim what are you doing with the empty wine bottles?
I finished my painting. It will need to be varnished hopefully tomorrow.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I finished the stitching that I had been working on.
I started embroidering some white felt hearts last night but I am not liking how they are turning out. Will try again later.

DahliaDoll

Premiere Member
Oct 15, 2007
Greetings!

Lana ~ Yes, I am anxious to get home to play with my new toy! Have fun spiffing up the doll bed.

KimD ~ Your wine bottle project sounds interesting. How many wine bottles do you need?

Lucie ~ I met a woman today who does absolutely gorgeous water color painting. She also prints them onto cards and has an Etsy shop where she sells them. She gave me one of her cards. I’ve never been much of an artist, so I really admire those with that talent.

Sweetpumpkinpie ~ It’s always disappointing to work on a craft and then not be pleased with the results. Hope you find a way to embellish the hearts that pleases you.

Primarily this week I want to make some wonderful progress on the Go West quilt and shams, but I’m not sure how much time I will actually have. Will do some knitting on the prayer shawl and probably some CCS work on Nature’s Harmony.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Greetings fellow crafters! :)

I cleaned up the craft room this weekend and cleaned out my craft bag which was desperately needed! I also cut the final piece needed to finish the Easter Egg Candle Mat project and have it pinned on and ready to sew.

I also took some time to poke around in drawers and containers I haven't really looked at much since I set the craft room back up after moving in. I'm taking inventory of all my supplies.

Recent change with my job means half the pay coming home so things are going to be tight. Homemade gifts/cards/etc. are going to be playing a big role this year I think.

KimD

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
CNY
Lana thank you I have been really looking into the Cameo but really don't want to pay the 250-300 that I have been seeing them for and can't use coupons for those at least at Joanne's I know. Some one had one on garage sale site cheap but now my mom cant find the post and really don't know if buying off there is a great thing with how people are around here selling things that don't work. My search will continue to find one but I will look into others. Kenny's coach's mom just bought the Cameo and is doing the glass light blocks and some tee shirts (which she is making Kenny one that says Slow a$$ runner with a marathon runner on it, something we tell him all the time). She is having problems with the glitter also. She said she will do the glitter but is not liking it so would perfer not to right now

Lucie with ones I have right now I am painting black, putting burlap and twine and wooden letters for the home bottles. I made a bunch of snowmen with lights in them at Christmas time with glitter spray paint. I want to do Santa and Mrs. Claus sets with them this year. A couple of years ago I did the Santa and snowmen wine glasses that are tea light candle holders. I take as many wine bottles as I can get my hands on. Have a friend that is a bar tender at a restaurant that keeps telling me she will bring home for me but always forgets, but that's o.k. she saves me the ones she has at home.

I got a picture text from my 4 legged good niece that daddy had to throw out her blankie and she needed a new one before bed time last night. Also that her little ratdog of a sister needed one of her own. (this was from my 8 year old niece on her dads phone because they steal her fleece blanket she sleeps with always) So even though we were in the middle of a snow storm I went and got the fleece to make them both blankets yesterday so my good niece would have a blankie for bed time. (she was the runt of a litter of 13 and now two and still needs her security)

I did work on Kenny's card box for almost two hours last night, also worked on egg sign and some on the wine bottles which I would like to finish up today hopefully

GrammaDeb

Premiere Member
Jan 4, 2014
Nevada
I saw a crocheted chocolate bunny (for Easter) on pinterest, and I'm going to work on that today. I have the yarn and ribbon - will need to pick up eyes and stuffing the next time I go to town.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Kim, been awhile since I visited your blog... on my way there in a few minutes!
GrammaDeb I'll go look for that crochoted chocolate bunny!

Finished my painting. It's up on my blog. Looked up some crochet patterns so that my next scarf looks like it was knitted.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
yep, it hadn't been updated since last time I went there Kim. post pics here :)

GrammaDeb

Premiere Member
Jan 4, 2014
Nevada
I worked on my crocheted chocolate bunny last night. Had to take it out and start over several times - I just couldn't get it to suit me. I finally broke down and ordered the pattern - I must say, having a pattern certainly makes things easier.

KimD

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
CNY
Lucie I will have to transfer some from phone to computer.

I worked another couple of hours on Kenny's card box last night. I don't know what I was thinking when I decided to make it out of plastic canvas when I could have easily done with wood I think. Oh well I have started and on second piece of canvas now. So no turning back. As long as I can stay awake I will work more on it after dinner I am actually really beat so not sure. I did however take a sick day for tomorrow so that I can get to Syracuse in time to see his State qualification since he is in the second race wasn't sure if I would have time to make it there after work.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Question... I know my painting was abstract, but I thought it was easy to know what it was, seems not from the comments I got... do you guys know what it is? (up on my blog)

DahliaDoll

Premiere Member
Oct 15, 2007
Greetings!

Love to see the work you all are creating!

I'm getting the Growth Chart ready to mail (with the help of DH). It's on my blog if you'd like to see how it turned out.

Have been playing with my new toy (sewing machine). For some reason, the first thing I wanted to do with it was quite a challenge (working with a thin (1/4") strip of folded fabric and using monofilament thread)! The first bobbin I tried to wind with the monofilament thread got wound too tight and the bobbin wouldn't come off the pin. DH had to get some plyers to help me get it off. Then I had to rewind it. There's a little learning curve, but after finishing piecing and adding borders to the pillow shams, I'm getting the hang of it and loving the thread cutter which I haven't had before! It's taking a little time to get used to pushing a button to lift the presser foot, but I can also do it with the foot pedal or the knee lift.

So now I'm taking a break and working out how I will make the pillow sham backs with a zipper closure and trying to figure out if I have enough fabric for the sham backs and the binding for the quilt. I hate to cut anything until I figure out how to get the most mileage out of it.

I picked up some fabric at JoAnns today for the quilt backing of the shams which will be on the insides.

Will do some CCS this evening.

DahliaDoll

Premiere Member
Oct 15, 2007
Greetings!

Had to order more fabric for the shams. I hope it's the right fabric and isn't an off dye-lot!

DahliaDoll

Premiere Member
Oct 15, 2007
AJ ~ That's a beautiful mat. The eggs look textured. You're ahead of the game having an Easter craft completed already. I'm starting to think about April birthday and Easter cards/gifts.