Crafters Challenge July 1st-July 7th, 2018

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Lucie, it would be great to wake up in the morning and a few craft items were finished overnight. Would make things easier.

Reactions: Fuchsia and luludou

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
Rose, WTG! I Have purchased several patterns on ebay for 18" doll outfits and pinterest several things pinned. My DGD is 4 1/2 so alittle time to do stuff. You see how I am a collector of buying things with good intentions but seems no time to do!

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
I'm just starting a quilt for me made out of old clothing and those wonderful old cotton sheets from the 50's and 60's. It will be in the Arkansas cross road pattern. My mom had saved mine and her old dresses including her maternity clothes when she had me! (I'm 60). I couldn't part them and finally figured out what to do with them.

DahliaDoll

Premiere Member
Oct 15, 2007
Greetings!

Myron’s Mom ~ What a wonderful project to be working on. I wish I had saved fabrics from the clothes I made DDs while they were growing up.

I went to Sew Fun today with a couple of friends. Interesting presentation but I didn't buy anything. We then went to Joanns. I returned some yarn which I wanted to get in a different color, but they don't actually carry it at that particular store, so I didn't get anything at Joanns either, just got money back.

I knit up a dish cloth. I have another one on the needles but just need a little more of the yarn to be able to finish it. I think the color isn't available any longer, so will just have to finish it off with white.

Back to knitting on the prayer shawl. Gardening and some cleaning chores will probably take priority over my crafting time for a few days.

My sad story … When I left for Sew Fun today, I wanted to reduce the weight of the bag I was taking, so I took out a packet of batik fabrics I’ve been collecting at quilt shops in my travels. I set it on the hood of DH’s Studebaker in the garage. He thought it was something for Goodwill where he was going to drop off other stuff. You guessed it! He took my batiks to Goodwill. Once I discovered it, we went there immediately to try to retrieve it. A very helpful gal is going to look for it and seemed somewhat hopeful that she’d be able to find it. DH felt terrible and said he had fun watching me collect it. If it doesn’t show up, I guess I’ll just start over. TFL

Last edited:

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
Oh Dj, I am sure DH is feeling terrible about the situation. So nice of him to run that errand for you. Praying the fabric is returned and found.

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
DD, Oh my Gosh!!! I hope they find it! I bet hubby does feel bad----!

Myrons Mom--welcome! That will be quite a heirloom!

We love to see pictures of crafts/sewing or if you have a blog let us know the address of it.

DahliaDoll

Premiere Member
Oct 15, 2007
Speaking of blogs … I posed some new pictures on mine.

holidayhelpelf

MHH Member
Oct 30, 2007
DJ...Oh my...Iris is getting so big! I know she had a wonderful time with you guys. Looks like you did lots of crafting with her. I'm sorry to hear about your fabrics. I know you've been collecting them for a while...your DH must feel awful...I'm hoping you get them back! Keep us posted, okay?

DahliaDoll

Premiere Member
Oct 15, 2007
Finished another dish cloth. This one will definitely be for me, since I had to use white to finish it off, and the white in the main color (blue/white twist) is actually an off-white.

GrammaDeb

Premiere Member
Jan 4, 2014
Nevada
I'm still chugging along on my crocheted snowflakes and winter afghan blocks. One of each every day. At this rate I will have 31 snowflakes at the end of July. I haven't counted blocks in a long time - it will be a WIP for a long time.

Reactions: luludou

Fuchsia

MHH Member
Oct 14, 2007
Lucie, it would be great to wake up in the morning and a few craft items were finished overnight. Would make things easier.
I would love that! I'm more of a weekend crafter so progress on projects can be a bit slow - some overnight magic would be very helpful!

DJ - any luck yet with the fabric?

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Here is the finished Shadow Box. It is of my Mom's mother. I'm sending it to my niece because of the Pig breadboard and that she said years ago she (my niece) didn't collect anything but if she did it would be pigs.
IMG_0628.jpg

The following are ones I've done of my Mom as a nurse and then my baby items, my childhood braids and my jewelry I had as a kid. It's a fun thing to do with items you've saved. If you have things I suggest you give it a try. I think my baby items were the first shadow box I did. I did not anchor the items very well so some day I might take the back off and tie them all in with fishing line. I just nail two holes in the backing, loop the item and tie it in. Easy.

Attachments

• IMG_0633.jpg
    IMG_0633.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_0632.jpg
    IMG_0632.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_0631.JPG
    IMG_0631.JPG
    54.1 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_0634.jpg
    IMG_0634.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 11

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
Oh my gosh those shadow boxes are beautiful. I love your mom's! So nice to have those things out where they can be enjoyed and not stuffed in a box in the closet. Just beautiful!!!

Reactions: Lana

GrammaDeb

Premiere Member
Jan 4, 2014
Nevada
I planned to sew fleece blankets earlier in the week, but I forgot that the fabric needed to be washed & pre-shrunk. Today is the first day I am able to use the washer & dryer. And of course the dining room table is now stacked shoulder high with stuff. Grrr. I think I'm having a "crafter's challenge" for sure.

DahliaDoll

Premiere Member
Oct 15, 2007
Wonderful keepsakes Diedra!

So this morning I saw our cat trotting across the lawn with something small in his mouth. I fear it might have been a hummingbird. Yesterday he had a goldfinch. I did some Googling about how to keep a cat from catching birds and found a Birdsafe collar (for $13.48, including shipping). It’s just made of bright colored fabric, so I figure why not make it myself. Did more Google searching for DIY and found this delightful video …
https://kidspot.co.nz/activities/make-cat-collar-save-birds/

I managed to make a couple for Buster this morning. Hope it helps the birds spot this little hunter and escape before he pounces! I looked for the fabric I wanted to use, but couldn't find it, so used different fabric. Then DH said we should have two so if one is wet or dirty we can change it. Then the fabric I originally wanted showed up, so now we have two. They were certainly easy and quick to make. He seems happy enough wearing it, and he looks kind of cute with his new "scarf".