Crafters Challenge July 23rd-July 29th

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
I hope to pull out my UFOs (unfinished objects) and set up a schedule to start working on them. I have a full work week this week and am not sure I can do any crafting so thought I would put them on my to do list and get it all together. I need to paint my kitchen and living room before we hit the holiday season so if I schedule crafting I just may get it done by Christmas.

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
I haven't been crafting either ... but love reading about other's projects.

DahliaDoll

Premiere Member
Oct 15, 2007
Greetings!

Lana ~ Sometimes it’s nice to take a little break. I almost feel guilty when I do though. I usually have to at least do some simple knitting on a dishcloth or something.

Jody ~ I just took a look at my UFO list yesterday. I have quite the list!

And speaking of which … last night I finished the “Many Happy Returns” quilt which I started in 2012. It will go to the lake place to be used on the hide-a-bed. I may decide to put a label on it.

I will probably have a bit of a crafting lull for a few weeks. DDs and families (except one DSonIL) are arriving Saturday. DD#2 will be staying for a week, and DD#1 will be staying for two weeks. That will keep me busy cooking and keeping up with the laundry. They pitch in, but since it’s their vacation and they choose to spend it with us, I like to try to make it relaxing for them.

With that said, my goals this week are simple except to clean the studio. I’m sure I’ll be doing some kind of crafting in the evenings. I want to finish knitting a dishcloth for the lake and I could finish the Seahawks scarf. I might have the opportunity to collect more fabrics for the I-Spy quilt, too.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
this week will be to continue knitting but next week we are going away to the beach and the car is full, so no crafting... however, I'll try to go to a craft store :)

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL

I might have the opportunity to collect more fabrics for the I-Spy quilt, too.

I decided to make fabric books for dgds and I am thinking I could make an I-Spy book for dgd-6. I must credit you for that idea. The other two books are fabric panels I already have.

Last edited:

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Greetings, crafters! I finally ended my crafting lull yesterday afternoon. Pulled out the felt purses project and finished the embroidery on one of them - now just have to sew the purse up!

I also make a trip to JoAnn's yesterday - they texted me a coupon for 20% off total purchase and they had a ton of things on sale and clearance so I went a little nuts. Got some nice things for spring next year at 70% off, purchased supplies for a spring wreath and a patriotic wreath I want to make for 2018. Then got a bunch of papers, sequins, buttons, ribbon, etc.

We had some friends over Saturday for a CIJ celebration and one of my closest friends came with her little 3 year old girl - my friend went upstairs to the craft/toy area to look for something her daughter lost and saw all the felt food I made for DS years ago. She went nuts! So now I know what I am making her daughter for her birthday/Christmas - felt food! :)

I cut out the pieces for 3 "donuts" and 3 "apple slices" last night! It was easy because I rooted around and found the manila folder I kept all my old printouts of finished felt food projects and the various pattern pieces already cut out. Can't wait to start sewing them! Felt food is fun to make because each piece goes pretty quickly and you feel like you are making great progress!

DahliaDoll

Premiere Member
Oct 15, 2007
Greetings!

Lucie ~ Knitting would fit on your lap in the car … LOL

Jody ~ How old are your DGDs you are making the fabric books for?

AJ ~ I considered felt food for my oldest DGD, but she is too old now. For the two younger ones, it would make a great 3rd birthday gift and gives me nearly a year and a half to make. Thanks for the inspiration. It’s great that you so nicely corralled all the patterns and supplies for easy access!

I finished the teal dishcloth last night and have the studio about as neat as it’s going to get before guests arrive. I haven’t purged anything though which I really, desperately need to do.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
AJ I loved doing felt food! I did that for my niece a few years ago. No more little ones around to make them for though.

DD - yep I could bring it in my lap but it will be really tight and it's only 4 days so I'll craft when I get back. will concentrate on my family that week :) However when I go away in september with friends I will bring a scarf to knit

GrammaDeb

Premiere Member
Jan 4, 2014
Nevada
I can't take it anymore! I am going to dig out my crocheting today and work on my winter afghan.

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
DD the girls are 1, 4 and 6. I will embellish the 4 year old's book by sewing on fir, straw, stars to add texture to the book. Dgd 1 I will probably add a button to push that plays music if I can find one.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Did more work on felt food last night - finished embroidering details on 3 "apple slices" and started sewing up the first one. I need to bring down more "fluff" from my craft room to stuff them.

TIP: I go to Big Lots (local discount store) and buy a standard pillow, then cut it open and use the insides to fill all my stuffed projects. Cheaper than buying official bags of stuffing from the craft store by far!

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
AJ, what a great idea for the stuffing.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Thanks! :) It's nice to save money where possible on crafting supplies!

Finished 3 felt "apple slices" last night. Also got the sequins, i.e. "sprinkles" sewn onto one donut "frosting" piece and started on another.

Also washed the fleece I bought for my blanket project. Need to hand wash the wool felt pieces that I'll use the applique on it though. Hoping to do that tonight and let them air dry so they are ready to be ironed and cut this weekend.

DahliaDoll

Premiere Member
Oct 15, 2007
I got some yarn bagged up yesterday for Goodwill and finished some exchange card tuck-ins. I may need to make a few more. DH helped me ball up a hank of yarn, so I can work on the Seahawks scarf again. And I had a bad dream about deciding to sew something for myself and making a huge mess in the studio. I've got it reasonably organized and want to keep it that way till DDs and families leave ... ideally keep it that way forever. Although that won't actually happen, I'll try to stay on top of it by cleaning up after each project. Still need to purge!

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
AJ you are moving right along on projects. TFS your tip. I usually use the 40% coupons at Joanns or Hobby Lobby for the stuffing.

DD, you can do it---keep it clean. Sounds so easy and then I start something and need something else for it and something else and then go on to something else........