Crafters Challenge Oct. 8, 2017-October 14th, 2017

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
Can you believe that at the end of this week 1/2 of October will be gone.

I am off next week (wk. of the 16th) and I am hoping to do some sewing but will see.

What are your plans for the week?

Happy CRAFTING!!!!

DahliaDoll

Premiere Member
Oct 15, 2007
Greetings!

I need to find yarn (today) to start a hat for Julia. It will have ear flaps with ties to hold it on, animal ears on top, and ringed with yarn fringe to make it look like a lion. It’s for her Halloween costume. Oh, and I need to make tail, too. DD will work on a sweatshirt or something.

And I will also be working on the first I-Spy quilt. I got the backing pieced yesterday, but before I sandwich it, I want to make sure I can get more of the fabric for the other one. If I need to use different fabric for the backing, I will save this fabric for Julia’s quilt.

I’m also working on a CCS motif (poinsettia) for a friend’s December BD (3 days before Christmas) card and want to make Sonja’s BD card with the motif I stitched for her on our glamping trip (octopus).

That should keep me pretty busy, but in case I’m stalled on the quilt while searching out backing fabric, I have enough other projects waiting in line that I won’t be bored! Maybe I’ll find time to get some fabric hemmed for a Halloween table scarf.

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
I would like to continue working on the 2 count down to Christmas calendar this week. I am adding embellishments. I cout out an I-Spy book for DGD 6 and once the embellishments are done I will be able to start the sewing on all the projects. I will be going to Mom's for a about 10 days in Nov. and will take it with me to do there.

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com
Lost a few days this week due to a nasty cold that does not seem to want to leave.

Continued work on my sons blanket, stitching spider webs and button spiders onto porch pillows and new kitchen cloths.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
I have fallen off the crafting wagon for a while! All I have managed to work on is Halloween related. Finished 25 "mummy" candy bars for DS's class treat this year - cut/printed cute tags that say "Halloween Hello" and used candy corn background stamp in orange on top of the printed words - turned out great!

Also cut and sewed on black chevron pattern to yellow polo shirt for DS's Charlie Brown costume. AND I cut and tied on all the strips of tulle to make my witch costume skirt. I love it!

I did hot glue items to my witches hat but I'm going to pull them off and do different ones. The things I had on hand just didn't look right so I picked up some other items yesterday to use instead.

This week I hope to get back to work on my felt needle book project!

DahliaDoll

Premiere Member
Oct 15, 2007
Yesterday I got the yarn and started knitting the lion hat for Julia. My concern is fitting, but DD sent me some measurements.

I also got some Halloween fabric pre-washed to make a table scarf with it. I'd like to hem it up today.

Not on my original plan, but ... I pulled out a PIG and started selecting batik fabrics (from scraps that a friend lent me to use) for an applique wall hanging pattern that I want to make for DD#1 someday. I'm going to try to get all the applique pieces cut so that I can return the scraps to my friend. I also have a pattern for a wall hanging for Iris that I should do at the same time.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Glad you found your yarn, DJ! I can't WAIT to see that lion hat!!! Everything you are working on sounds so fun!

Funny story - DH and DS and I were out at local outdoor shopping center yesterday morning - this place is vintage! It's been around forever - they pipe music over the loudspeakers in the parking lot, there are little nooks and crannies and mom and pop shops/restaurants - well in any case, after we were done at the store we came for we just walked around a bit looking in the windows (it was early on a Sunday so most were closed).

Way down at the end I saw a sign for "Stone Soup Batik" - DH and I were both asking each other what in the world that could be? Looking in the windows lo and behold I see quilting and fabrics and all sorts of lovely things! Their quilts were lovely - even DH was impressed enough to comment. I will be going back when they are open! :) Had to look up the term batik - learn something new every day!

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
AJ - love the mummy bars!

I will continue knitting the scarf - with the lifeline I've been advancing pretty good. still have to do felt cookies and start knitted socks. not sure anything much will happen this year.

Reactions: AuntJamelle

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Ripped all the things I glued onto my witch hat off last night and re-did it. I bought a couple sparkly Halloween sprays from Walmart and a couple of foam doo-dads covered in glitter.

I used scissors to cut the tape that wrapped the stem part of the sprays and thus was able to pull all the individual pieces apart to use as desired. My trusty wire cutters let me trim the stems down to the point where I had something short enough to glue onto the hat. I'll have to post a pic - I think it turned out pretty good!

DahliaDoll

Premiere Member
Oct 15, 2007
Greetings!

AJ ~ Cute, creepy bars. I think the kids will enjoy those. Batiks are beautiful!

Yesterday:

Halloween table scarf: Got it hemmed and on the table.

Be Still quilt wall hanging: I picked all the batik fabrics I could use for the wall hanging out of my friend’s stash, made a list of what else I would need (a few fat quarters for applique and border fabric), copied some applique patterns, made a “kit” to put by the couch to work on in the evenings.

Lion hat: Done except for putting the rest of the fringy mane on. I just hope it fits her okay. It looks like it could come down over her eyes.

DahliaDoll

Premiere Member
Oct 15, 2007
Greetings!

I have all but 1 of the applique pieces for one wall hanging fused to the batik fabrics. I need to purchase a little more fabric since I need larger pieces than in my friend's stash. I only wanted to use her little scraps, though, not her larger pieces. So I have one more applique wall hanging to sort through her stash for small pieces. I'm putting a little priority on those, since I want to return the fabrics in a timely manner. She is very gracious to give them to me. I think I'll get her a gift certificate at a local quilt store as a thank you.

Reactions: Miss JoDee

DahliaDoll

Premiere Member
Oct 15, 2007
That's definitely the classiest witch hat I've ever seen!

I thought I was done with Julia's lion hat for Halloween but DD had something else in mind which would be better anyway so it's back to the drawing board.

I think I'm done with my friend's batik scraps. I'm planning to thank her with a gift card for a local quilt shop.

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
Alas ... I haven't done any crafts ... but I love reading and looking at y'alls!

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
I have knitted and unknitted the same portion of the scarf this week and just spotted a missed spot once again :( However the felt cookies are coming along fine.