Decorating 2016 - front entrance

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
I found this as I was browsing. I always struggle with how to decorate our front door because we have no porch and have a storm door that covers our front door. There are so many good posts here, not just for Christmas, but for a lot of other projects, too.

http://inmyownstyle.com/2012/11/diy-christmas-porch-light-decoration.html

This is so easy and totally doable. The farm where we purchase our tree sells the trimmings from the trees. I'm so excited to try it!

Have any of you found new decorating ideas for 2016 that you plan to try?

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Jane I really like that one and it would be nice at our house too. We cut off the pine tree last week, so I'd have to figure out a place to get the greenery. I'll keep this in mind.

DahliaDoll

Premiere Member
Oct 15, 2007
That's a beautiful idea missjane.

I don't like to hang anything on my door, so I use the wall beside the door. I have some metal flower type things hanging there for spring/summer/fall. I do have a little porch, and under the awning for Christmas I hang a mobile made with large plastic ornaments. My little tricycle planter is changed up with faux poinsettias and a string of white Christmas lights.

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
I love that idea Jane!

I'd like to buy some huge ornaments and nestle them inside some lighted greenery in my urns in the driveway. I think it would add some much needed sparkle in that area.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
This would look nice at my house too. I could do one by the door and then do the two lights next to the garage door to tie it all together.

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
Lisa, Sam's Club always has huge plastic ornaments near Christmas time. I bought some last year to use on garland around the front door. I think there are 10 or 12 in a tube. My storm door slammed back when the wind caught it and smashed a couple, so I'll need to replace them this year.

ejagno

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Aug 31, 2010
SW Louisiana
Jane, with our warm winters and strong storms I think I would opt for the artificial greenery stems at Hobby Lobby or Michaels. I'm afraid that the foam core would dry out in a matter of hours down here. That is beautiful and simple yet elegant.

I have the Acadian style porch across the entire width of my house to decorate so it's a job. I have two window boxes that I like to fill with berries, ornaments, pinecones and greenery along with a nice wide ribbon. I have a wrought iron fleur de lis bench, wicker love seat and rocker that I adorn with fleece throws and pillows for the holiday seasons. I make my own pillows using flannel backed vinyl tablecloths so that they are water resistant.

During Halloween last year I stack several Halloween brooms up against the wall along with some old boots I painted black and a hook above with the witches hat and cape hanging.

Right now everything is off the porch. I repainted all the trim, ceiling, rails, shutters, front door and now that the rain has stopped for a day I plan on painting the flooring tomorrow.................if I don't get heat stroke first.

Doodlebug

MHH Member
Jan 11, 2010
Oklahoma
Love this Jane!

aggy

Santa's Elves
Oct 11, 2007
Baltimore, Maryland
I too saved this idea. Although I live in an apartment I only have one neighbor next door. There is a wall that divides our doors so a volcano lantern and candle (Not lighted of course. Well maybe on Christmas Eve when family comes) would look nice between us. Besides my neighbor loves that I decorate our hall and stairwell for Christmas. His grandkids get a big kick out of seeing the decorations when they come to visit.

Yes, yes this is a must do. Thanks for sharing missjane. :)