Decorating the Bathroom

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Saquilla

Retire Member
May 15, 2010
Perth, Australia
Hi everyone,

So... I've been thinking about bathroom decorations, and I'm wondering what everyone does in that area.

I've never really decorated that part of the house. I'm thinking this year, I'll put some candles on the windowsill (real or LED - I'm not sure yet. Depends on whether I put anything around the base), and maybe a bowl of baubles, or one of those metal cone type decorations (I don't know what they're called) next to the sink.

I also like the branch bunches that some people have, perhaps with some decorations hanging off? Maybe that could go on the windowsill instead of candles.

I love the gold and white colour scheme for a bathroom too :)

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
I put some window-clings in the mirror & some ribbons around the shower curtain hangers. Some wintery flowers in the pot and you can put some floating candles in the bath when you have visitors.

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
I hang holiday themed towels in the main bath, put a snowman on the toilet tank with a holiday scented candle for when guests are here, a small tree on the vanity with lights, and a snowman soap holder on the sink.

Saquilla

Retire Member
May 15, 2010
Perth, Australia
Oh I like the idea of hanging decorations from the shower curtain hangers! I could put a small tree on the vanity too. I'm not so sure about the lights though. There is a plug there (for hair dryers etc) but I would be worried about the kids playing with it with wet hands. Mind you, could do something with crystals. That would look pretty cool.

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
I do the scented candle, soap from B&B, towels, stool cover with decorations on the back and then I do the flat red and green marbles with floating snowflake candles in the tub. (that is on Christmas Eve)

Colleen in PA

Retire Member
Aug 20, 2008
We decorate just about every room (to DH's dismay)...I change out the shower curtains and have separate holiday towels/bathrugs for each bathroom and cute liquid soap dispensers (the boys, especially, love these). Sometimes I put a scented candle in there, but I never light them - my boys are 3 and 6...too much of a temptation! LOL!

Lucie - I love the idea of using vinyl clings on the mirrors! We do that on the back door (it has a 9-paned window). I need to write that down in my NB!

aggy

Santa's Elves
Oct 11, 2007
Baltimore, Maryland
I decorate my bathroom in a poinsettia theme. I hang a red vinyl curtain with poinsettia shower hooks (I just glued some silk poinsettia flowers to plain white hooks), I put down a red shaggy bath mat set and toilet seat cover. The seat cover is also decorated with silk poinsettias. I hang a set of red large towels with a set of green NOEL towels. On top of the cabinet I put a small white Christmas tree (got from Dollar Tree years ago) and decorate that with poinsettia garland and some candle ornaments. I also put out my poinsettia hand soap dispenser and hang a poinsettia wreath on the door.

Not sure where my tree will go this year because I threw out the cabinet. I went to move it because they were coming to paint my bathroom and it was falling apart. So out it went. I don't think I want another cabinet - maybe some shelves instead.

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
I have Christmas figurines I put on top of the vanity mirror along with some garland. I like the idea of floating candles in the tub...never would have thought of that.

Saquilla

Retire Member
May 15, 2010
Perth, Australia
Thank you for all the ideas, everyone! :D

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
I have some Mickey themed items my mom bought me years ago. Then I bought a stuffed mickey years later that matches them exactly. So he stands on the back of my toilet. The trash can, towels and Kleenex box match.

angelpugs

MHH Member
Oct 2, 2009
north adams ma.
I put alot of my spring decor around things like butterflies,flowers my outdoor spring windsock things look nice as i like this time of year have my patio set out and grill out,everything is set here.:)

Saquilla

Retire Member
May 15, 2010
Perth, Australia
Love the ideas guys! Thanks! :)

Angelpugs - it's Autumn here, but it's my favourite season at the moment. Not too hot, and still nice enough (most of the time) for outdoor activities. I'm a big fan of butterflies and flowers :)

DawnSu

Premiere Member
Sep 8, 2008
Missouri
I am as u had been... not much decore in bathroom... till I started gathering "bless the USA" things... flags, stars, candles, a great big huge flag on the big wall... a small vanity, red/white & blue.... each drawer one color.. then at Christmas time I do snowflakes, I have floating candles, I have a towel set, I even do clings on side of tub, for decorations.....
I do like the idea of making some snowflakes on hooks for shower curtain... lol

MaryE

Retire Member
Feb 14, 2012
Richmond, Virginia
Hi Sarah, Great discussion question! The first thing I would suggest is to decide on a theme for your bathroom decorations. For example: snowmen...or poinsettias...or reindeer... Then look for a liquid soap dispenser and 2 handtowels with that theme (one to hang in the bathroom, one in the laundry, or a spare). What type of flat surfaces do you have available to you there? Is there room on the vanity for a little something? The top of the toilet tank, or even the toilet lid for a ruffly cover? I have a small shelf unit with cubbies over my toilet, and I change out the items at Christmas time. I have room for a tiny nativity set and some angels. Those small Jim Shore ornaments would fit there too! You don't have to blow the budget, just do as much as your wallet allows. Maybe add something next year...shower curtain and Christmas rugs...etc. I also love the scented candle idea if you have a safe place for that, otherwise those little battery operated tea lights would be fun. There are also some very cute holiday theme night-lights available. Enjoy! Keep us posted with what you've done. Mary in VA

aggy

Santa's Elves
Oct 11, 2007
Baltimore, Maryland
I am as u had been... not much decore in bathroom... till I started gathering "bless the USA" things... flags, stars, candles, a great big huge flag on the big wall... a small vanity, red/white & blue.... each drawer one color.. then at Christmas time I do snowflakes, I have floating candles, I have a towel set, I even do clings on side of tub, for decorations.....
I do like the idea of making some snowflakes on hooks for shower curtain... lol

I love the idea of adding clings to the side of the tub. As for making the snowflakes it is pretty easy. Just pick up some plain white shower curtain rings and look for some snowflake ornaments (at a craft store or dollar store) and just glue the snowflake right onto the shower ring. That's how I made my poinsettia rings.

WP_000912.jpg

I made 6 red ones and 6 white ones.

DawnSu

Premiere Member
Sep 8, 2008
Missouri
thx for the instructions, I am going to put this on my list for this week... am going to make the curtain hooks for my snowflake bathroom...

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Thanks Aggy. Never thought of making my own shower curtain rings.

priyandy

Retire Member
Dec 26, 2012
You can also use your lighting as your statement piece by installing a chandelier. This will instantly update your bathroom and give it a classic, glamorous feel, but it will draw the eye to something other than the size of the space.

DahliaDoll

Premiere Member
Oct 15, 2007
I do a little decorating in the guest bathroom, too. Window clings on the mirrors, Christmas hand soap pump, I trimmed some hand towels with Christmas fabric. I think a candle with a timer might be nice. I like the idea of hanging décor from the shower curtain hooks.