Dessert Recipes

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Gingerbug

Administrator
MHH Admin
Oct 9, 2007
Missouri, USA
Post your favorite dessert recipes here. :grin: :grin:

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Right now, August - local cantalopes are cheap. (By the pound, they come out to less than 75 cents a pound. They are delicious and full of vitamins and minerals. Sliced alone is great. If you are trying to get more calcium into family members - add a scoop of ice cream. Or if your kids would eat the ice cream and leave the melon, cube the melon into dishes and let the ice cream get soft in the dish. If the melon chunks are small, the kids will eat the melon to get all the melted ice cream.

zairaong

Retire Member
Mar 18, 2010
5 minute chocolate mug cake

5 minute chocolate mug cake:

• 4 tbsp flour
  • 4 tbsp sugar
  • 2 tbsp cocoa
  • 1 egg
  • 3 tbsp milk
  • 3 tbsp oil
  • 3 tbsp chocolate chips (optional)
  • Small splash of vanilla extract
  • 1 large coffee mug

Procedure:
  1. Add dry ingredients to mug and mix. Add egg and mix.
  2. Pour in the milk and oil and mix thoroughly.
  3. Add the chocolate chips (if using),vanilla extract, and mix again.
  4. Put your mug in the microwave and cook for 3 minutes at high.
  5. May need to adjust time depending on the strength of
your microwave.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
5 minute chocolate mug cake.

This is excellent. Does great with gluten free flour too. I'm thinking I'll try it with a small spoon of peanut butter on top of the batter.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Mini apple pies

http://funonadime.blogspot.com/2010/09/mini-apple-pies.html Step-by-step Picture tutorial

- perfect for Christmas freezing!

What You Need:
Your favorite pie crust
Apple Mix
6 chopped apples (peeling is optional)
2 T lemon juice (adjust to taste, we love lemon)
2/3 cup sugar
3/4 teaspoon cinnamon (to taste)
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg (to taste, a little less if you do not like nutmeg)
1/4 cup Craisins (optional - we chopped ours up)
Crumb Topping - Yummy!
3/4 cups flour
3/4 cups brown sugar
5 T butter
Cupcake pan
Cupcake liners
Rolling pin or a solid cup/glass
Yogurt or sour cream lid
2 med-large mixing bowls
1 small mixing bowl
Pastry cutter/fork
* Bake at 375 Degrees

Directions:
Step 1: Prepare your apple mix using recipe above in a medium sized bowl. Peel your apples if you do not like the skins baked. I do not mind them, my husband prefers them peeled! Add all the ingredients together and if you have time, let them sit in the fridge and soak. They will get quite juicy the longer it sits. I also suggest tasting to make sure it is the flavor you like. We like a lot of lemon and cinnamon, so start out light if you are unsure.
Step 2: Prepare crumb topping. Add sugar and flour together. Then cut in the butter with a fork or a pastry cutter. Make sure the butter is not melted, just soft like it has been sitting out of the fridge. Set aside. And just in case you do not know what cutting the butter is check out here. It is the same concept with a fork as with the pastry cutter.
Step 3: Prepare cupcake pan with liners prior to making the pie crust and preheat oven to 375 Degrees.

Step 4: Make (or buy) a basic pie crust. Nothing fancy just the kind with flour, water, butter/shortening and a bit of salt. Any should work.

Step 5: On a large, well floured surface roll out your dough really thin. I did it until I could see the counter through the dough. If you have difficulty rolling your dough out, save some muscle and put it in the microwave on defrost for 10 or so seconds at a time until it is slightly warm. It makes it a lot easier to roll out, but it will shrink on you this way so be quick! Make sure you flour the surface of the dough as well, so your "rolling pin" is not sticking to it.
Step 6: Use a lid the size from a sour cream or a large yogurt container to cut your pie crust into mini circles (see above picture). Place/press each circle once cut into the cupcake pan/liner immediately. The edges will overlap a little. If necessary, stretch it out a little as pressing.
Step 7: Once all the mini pies are made, Add apple mix to the mini pies. Fill it 2/3 - 3/4 full. Make sure you grab a spoonful or two of the juice and put it in. The first batch I made was quite a bit drier than the second without the additional juice.

Step 8: Sprinkle on crumb topping, covering all the apple mix
Step 9: Place on top of another pan to catch drippings and bake in the oven until you can hear the juices sizzling/bubbling. Approximately 15-20 minutes. There should be a slight golden brown look to the top. But you know it is done because you can hear the juice, so if you hear the juice and it is not golden brown, go with your gut!

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
3-minute microwave fudge

http://www.vanessachristenson.com/2010/09/3-minute-microwave-homemade-fudge.html

2 packages (11.5 or 12 oz package) of choc chips (1 milk chocolate, 1 dark or semi sweet chocolate) i've also substituted the milk choc with andes mint chunks and it was delish!
1 can of sweetened condensed milk (14 or 16 oz)
3 tables spoons of butter

combine all three ingredients in a microwaveable bowl.
microwave on high for 3 minutes.
stir everything up.

pour into a 9 by 13 pan (for thinner fudge) or a 9 by 9 pan for the ticker version shown above.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Candy cane coffe cake

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/candy-cane-coffee-cake/detail.aspx
Beautiful picture

1 tablespoon active dry yeast
1/4 cup warm water (105 degrees to 115 degrees)
1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
1/2 cup sour cream
2 eggs
3 tablespoons sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 cups all-purpose flour
FILLING:
2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup sugar
2 egg yolks
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
TOPPINGS:
1 tablespoon confectioners' sugar
1 (12 ounce) jar cherry jam

Directions
1. In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. In a mixing bowl, combine the butter, sour cream, eggs, sugar and salt. Add yeast mixture and flour; beat until smooth (do not knead). Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
2. For filling, in a mixing bowl, beat cream cheese, sugar, egg yolk and vanilla until blended. Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divided in half. Roll out each portion into a 16-in. x 10-in. rectangle on a greased baking sheet. Spread filling down center of each rectangle. On each long side, cut 1-1/2-in.-wide strips about 3 in. into center. Starting at one end, fold alternating strips at an angle across filling. Pinch ends to seal. Curve one end, forming a candy cane. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 1 hour.
3. Bake at 350 degrees F for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Carefully remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Sprinkle with confectioners' sugar. Stir jam, then spoon over top of leaves, creating candy cane stripes. Refrigerate leftovers

hollyberry

MHH Member
Jun 10, 2011
Easy homemade chocolate pudding

1/2 C. sugar
2 heaping T. flour
2T. cocoa
water
1 egg
1 3/4C. milk
1t. vanilla
1t.butter
In mixing bowl combine sugar, flour and cocoa with enough water to make a paste. Mix in egg and beat well. Add milk, stir well and pour into saucepan. Cook over medium heat until bubbly. Let cool then add vanilla and butter. Serves 4.

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
One of my daughters won a 4H contest with this when she was in high school.

Sweet Potato Cake Roll

3 eggs
1 cup sugar
1 cup cooked, mashed sweet potatoes
1 Tbsp. lemon juice
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. ground ginger
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
3/4 cup toasted pecans, chopped
Confectioner's sugar

Orange Filling

8 ounces cream cheese
1/4 cup butter, softened
1 cup confectioner's sugar
2 tsp. concentrated orange juice (the frozen concentrate in the can)
1/2 tsp. grated orange peel

Directions:

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line a 10x15 inch jelly roll pan with wax paper. Grease and flour paper. In a large bowl, beat eggs at high speed for 5 minutes. Then beat in sugar gradually. Stir in the sweet potatoes and lemon juice.

In a separate bowl, stir flour, salt, baking powder, and spices together. Gently fold into sweet potato mixture. Pour into prepared pan and sprinkle with toasted pecans. Bake for 15 minutes. Turn out onto towel sprinkled with confectioner's sugar. Do not remove wax paper, yet. Roll together with towel and wax paper starting at short end. Cool on wire rack.

While the cake cools, prepare the filling.

Whip cream cheese and butter with electric mixer until fluffy. Add sugar and orange juice concentrate. Beat until smooth. Stir in grated orange peel. Unroll cooled cake carefully, peel off paper, and spread cake with filling. Roll cake back up with filling on the inside. Wrap in new wax paper. Chill 2-4 hours before serving.

Serves 10-15 depending on how thick you slice it.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN

oliverrichmond67

Retire Member
May 9, 2016
Jewel Swirls

Ingredients

3/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup sour cream
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 (6 ounce) package fruit flavored Jell-O® mix

Cream butter and sugar, then add sour cream. Stir in the flour, baking soda and salt. . Blend well and chill 2 hours or overnight.
Divide dough in half and roll into a rectangle. Brush rectangles with water and sprinkle each with 1/2 package flavored gelatin. Roll up. Chill 1 to 2 hours.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C).
Cut dough into 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick slices. Put on greased cookie sheets and bake for 10 to 12 minutes.

aggy

Santa's Elves
Oct 11, 2007
Baltimore, Maryland
I made this for a 4th of July cookout and it was a big hit. Plan to make one for the holidays.

Red Velvet Trifle.

http://www.artsychicksrule.com/2013/12/red-velvet-trifle-recipe-holidays.html

Ingredients

1 Red Velvet Cake Mix
1 - 16 oz Whipped Topping
1- small package of either Cheesecake or White Chocolate Pudding Mix
1 - package of cream cheese
½ cup sugar (more or less, to your taste)
1 teaspoon Vanilla
White Chocolate Bar (or White Chocolate Kit Kat Bars, recommended)
Red Sprinkles (optional)

Instructions

-Mix and bake cake per directions on the box. (can omit one egg) I didn't
-Let cool completely.
-Mix pudding per directions on the box. Once set, mix in 8 oz of the 16 oz Whipped Topping.
-In a separate bowl, mix the softened cream cheese with the other 8 oz Whipped Topping. Mix in ½ cup sugar and 1 tsp of Vanilla. Mix well.
-Set both bowls aside.
-Once the cake is cool, remove from the pans and cut into small squares.
-Layer the cake, shaved white chocolate and both fillings alternately.
-Finish with shaved chocolate and red sprinkles, if desired.

I couldn't find any white Kit Kat Bars (I usually see them around October. Plus I'm not big on white chocolate anyway, so). I just used the regular Kit Kat bars. For my topping I added more crumbled Kit Kats bars and crumbled some cake I had leftover.

Also instead of using the white chocolate pudding mix I used cheesecake pudding mix.

Note: I think my bowl was a bit larger than what she used so the next time I will add in more whipped topping to fill in-between the cake layers and to make sure I have enough to cover the top.

Wish I could show you a picture of how mine's turned out but it says the file is too large to put here. Oh well.

Stella Bahl

Retire Member
Sep 23, 2016
UK
I'm in love with Naughty Nutella Tiramisu. Here is the recipe for this classic Italian dessert

Ingredients:

500g Mascarpone Cheese
400g Savoyard biscuits (or Pavesini)
100g sugar
6 Eggs
About 450/500 ml coffee
200g Nutella chocolate spread
100g Crushed hazelnuts and almonds for decoration

Method: (Here you can see 5 more Tiramisu Recipes - http://blog.vorrei.co.uk/2206-2/)

Step 1. Make your coffee as per your classic Tiramisù recipe.
Step 2. While the coffee cools off make your cream. First, beat the egg yolks with half of your sugar until you get a creamy mixture.
Step 3. In a separate bowl place the mascarpone cheese and soften it with a wooden spoon. Add the egg cream and mix well, slowly, folding in all the ingredients.
Step 4. Now beat your egg whites in a separate bowl with an electric beater and add the rest of the sugar. Once they form soft peaks, add them to the mascarpone cheese mixture by folding in gently.
Step 5. Now assemble your tiramisu like in the classic version but add a layer of Nutella before placing the mascarpone cream. Do this for all your layers.
Step 6. Make sure your last layer is done with the cream but this time coat it with drizzles of Nutella and the hazelnut and almond pieces. Place in the fridge for at least an hour before serving.

Reactions: AuntJamelle