Easter Prep 2017...

Discussion in 'Hippity Hoppity Day' started by AuntJamelle, Feb 23, 2017.

1. AuntJamelle

AuntJamelle Well-Known Member

Is anyone starting to pull together plans and items for Easter this year?

With money really tight right now I've been stressing over getting a nice Easter Basket assembled for DS. Plus I wanted to get some things to use as filler for the plastic Easter eggs we'll be hiding that is not candy. DS just doesn't eat that much of it and we still have a ton left over from Christmas and then he got a bunch for Valentines from classmates too.

I used a gift card at Target yesterday to purchase a few things and also went to Dollar Store. Then yesterday afternoon I pulled out the boxes of Easter things from the storage area and EUREKA! My post Easter clearance shopping last year has saved the day!!! :)

I have a plush bunny, a Petter Cottontail book, bunny bubbles, a Minions magnetic sticker book, tons of things! Plus I remembered that DH got DS a jelly bean gum ball machine for Christmas that we forgot to give him so that will be the centerpiece of the basket! I have a basket saved from last year and even found more bags of Easter grass tucked away as well! SO happy!

I also found a recipe I'm going to try to make for dessert this year - we'll be going to family and I always bring a cheesecake. This year I'm going to try White Chocolate Raspberry Truffle Cheesecake! Yum!

And my freezer has two boxes of puff pastry left in it (from all the boxes I purchased around Christmas) that are good until after Easter. I make Herb Cream Cheese Crescent Rolls for Easter every year and they call for puff pastry. Nice to have the expensive part of things already!

I do have a couple of crafts I wanted to make for DS's basket as well. Will post on those soon! And on some ideas I have for making the loose candy we already have in the house work for filling Easter eggs!

What are the rest of you doing/planning?

2. Minta

Minta Member

You did great stocking up on all those goodies last year after Easter.

Easter is always low key for us as this one holiday where we do not host. Kids and hubby dye eggs the day before.

DD wants more nail polish, nail polish remover, make up and CDs so that's is what we will get her. There is a dollar tree by my work that has all different colors of nail polish that she likes.

DS Loves anything Legos and minecraft so I will be check out the 5 below, walmart and targets clearance and dollar sections.

They do not get much candy either ... A small chocolate bunny and a bunch of the small reese peanut butter eggs.

For the past several years I have grilled steaks for Easter Dinner. The local grocery store always has nice steaks on sale right before Easter. DD and I are thinking about making a cheese cake this year for dessert. Thinking about making waffles for breakfast.

3. Ahorsesoul

Ahorsesoul Santa's Elves

I'm off to look for a recipe for White Chocolate Raspberry Truffle Cheesecake.

4. tanya

tanya Well-Known Member

Easter here is very low key and very simple. At school we will have an Easter hat parade- kids will make/ decorate their hats at school. I have invited the local aged care home to come and help us. The kids really seem to respond well to the older community members. Not sure why as they can be total monsters with each other and the general community. We will do that in the morning, have a BBQ lunch for everyone and then parade in the afternoon. Easter this year falls in the middle of the Term 1 school holidays so school celebrations will be early.

At home we will have a seafood lunch on the Friday- I usually have some friends join us. The Sunday we will have roast lamb. No idea why? Mum always did roast lamb on Easter Sunday so I do too. Easter is generally a transition weekend for us in Australia. Although it is officially Autumn, the Easter weekend is kind of the last hurrah of Summer and warmer temps. We will do Easter Eggs and chocolates. Its not a big deal though- the Easter Bunny delivers over night in the family room. Luke is too big now but even when he was little he never got into the hunting for Easter Eggs. Easter baskets are not popular here- its generally chocolate items and thats pretty much it. Our football team generally has a game over the Easter weekend- we often go. I have not yet checked the schedule for this year but if its on we might go.

5. luludou

luludou Well-Known Member

We go to mom's for Easter weekend. For quite some years now mom invites family (some friends too) and dad does a pork mechoui (meat on a skewer cooked over a fire a few hours) with homemade fries (the guys prep the fries - usually a 30 lbs bag!)... We make a few salads with veggies & dip and dessert is chocolate fountain with tons of fruits. There is a small egg hunt for the few small kids (4).
    I did buy a big bag of gummy bears to add to the table. I will be on the lookout for more things to help out mom.
    We usually sit outside (if it's nice or else it's in the garage and dad has a big tent we put up) and some games are played. it usually is really nice. We get more people than at Christmas!