Freeze the dough or freeze the cookies?

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

FrostyShimmer

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
Hi everyone!
Looks like I'm going to have a housefull for Christmas this year. I'm trying to get some baking done in advance.
Is it better to freeze the cookie dough to make later or to freeze the cookies already made? I'm looking for what will give me the best cookie as I don't mind actually baking them later...it's just the mixing up the dough part that makes such a mess, and I want to ensure I have all the ingredients I need.
Thanks!
FrostyShimmer

ChristmasPir8

Premiere Member
Nov 8, 2008
La La Land
I think it depends on the cookie some will freeze better than others but I am thinking freezing the dough might be best for most. I think either way if it's only for now to Christmas both methods will be fine, it's short term freeze. If you are freezing cookies in ball shapes freeze on a cookie sheet for a little bit and when they are hard, but not frozen through, put into a bag or container.

FrostyShimmer

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
Ooh.....I froze some dough, but just in a big lump. Think it will be okay if I let it thaw completely before using it? It's the roll-out cookie kind.
Good idea to make the balls before freezing it. Going to do chocolate chip and M&M cookies today, so that should work great! Hoping the M&Ms do okay with freezing.
I have company coming Friday, so my plan is to start cooking them on Thursday or so. Just makes such a mess measuring out all the ingredients with a preschooler helping!

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
The dough will be fine in a lump, I always just put my sugar cookie dough in a Ziploc baggie and freeze it that way. Just put it in the refrigerator to thaw out but that way it keeps it chilled for when you are ready to roll it out. Much easier to roll out when it's chilled.

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
Good advice Jessica!

I always freeze my completed cookies. It's for a short time and I use Tupperware freezer containers. Then no worries about having to bake later. I just take them out to thaw and they're ready to go.

FrostyShimmer

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
Sounds like either way works then.
I'm going to do the doughs because I have one of those annoying fridges where the freezer is on one side with the ice maker, so space is at a premium. I may freeze the oatcakes in advance, as they're messy to roll out and kind of fussy.
I'm hoping to have some cookies made before company arrives, and then to pull out some dough and make something each day fresh....since I'm up with DD1 by 4 am and need to give her an activity so she doesn't wake everyone else up. Then the house will smell nice and Christmasy too. :)

ChristmasPir8

Premiere Member
Nov 8, 2008
La La Land
sounds like a good plan! That's really early for DD to be up but great to have something fun for her to do.

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com
I think it depends on the cookie, some that are rolled in coconut or sugar before baking, I freeze the dough; if they are decorated or iced after baking - like sugar cookies, I freeze the cookie and decorate after thawing.

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
Frozen Cookies

This year I did freeze my gluten free done cookies. Mixed and baked and decorated/frosted and then froze. And it all went well. Yea. I just have them in gallon zip locks and took out a few to put into our large lidded plastic snowman cookie tray/keep thingy.

I put the cookies on a dinner plate and stuck into freezer. When done, I tossed into the zip lock.

It's only for the three or so week of Christmas. They sure don't last long!

Hmmmm ... I should be doing more walking ....

candysprinkles

Retire Member
Jan 29, 2011
Indiana
I froze the dough this year in early November...chocolate chip, sugar, chocalate with white chips and peanut butter. Some I rolled to be similar to what you find from Pillsbury premade in a log. Others I cubed and then put into Otis Spunkmeyer containers from the school's cookie dough fundraisers.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Love all the tips! In the past I have flash frozen pre-cut but unbaked sugar cookies before transferring to a ziplock for longer storage. I think I will try prebaking then freezing next year - so that decorating is all that is left - LOVE that!

I hadn't thought of freezing sugar cookie dough in a big lump either! Another good option to remember!

My tried and true method has been to preshape the cookies - I mostly do drop style cookies - and flash freeze the dough before transferring to ziplocks. I've never had a problem with any of the recipes I've done this with and will definitely do again next year.

It is great to have cookie dough pre-made! I personally am a sucker for that fresh for the oven, still warm experience - so baking them as I go is a win-win!