Freezer Sessions 2019...

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
Okay...being a Pioneer Woman junkie I had to look up the cheddar puffs and bacon crackers and they look amazing!! I may just do that for our appetizers on Christmas eve and call it good!! Thanks AuntJamelle. Do you have any other PW freezer appetizer recipes you are a big fan of?

Reactions: AuntJamelle

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
"Got the Cheesy Garlic Bread and a double batch of PW Holiday Bacon Crackers in the freezer! Woot! Woot!"

Aunt Jamelle I'm curious, did you cook your bacon crackers for the full 2 hours? Mine are like...CRISP....CRISP!!!

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
I’ll have to try both of these! One question though, when you bake the crackers - do you bake them on a rack? ( this coming from the girl that loves to use lard lol). I wondered if they weren’t overly greasy. I make bacon wrapped stuffed dates and drain them on paper towels well because of all the grease. I bought the crackers yesterday and have everything else. Can’t wait to try.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
I DO bake these on a metal cooling rack - I line my cookie sheet with foil, set the rack on that, spritz it real good with cooking spray and then put the wrapped crackers on it to bake.

I do the full 2 hours and they turned out crisp but looked just perfect! My bacon wasn't SUPER thin, more of a medium thickness and I think that makes a difference. Oven temps can vary from what the oven says it is too. Mine usually runs a little hot.

I'll have to look at what other freezer appetizer recipes from PW I've done. I think I've used her twice baked potatoes one- although I modified and do in the new/baby potatoes to make them more appetizer friendly.

I've tried a LOT of freezer appetizers over the years, but there are just some I keep returning to! :)

I got a batch of Cocoa Kiss Cookies and a batch of my "new" chocolate chip cookies (made with dark choc, slivered almonds and dried cranberries) baked and in the freezer last night.

Have a new recipe for Chocolate Cherry Blossoms in the fridge still - I shaped the dough into balls last night then put them back in to chill some more. Dough is good in fridge up to 3 days so I have time yet!

Hoping to get a batch of 2 of Mini Bacon Pinwheel appetizers in the fridge this weekend! And a double batch of PB Choc Swirl Cookies - if I can squeeze it in!!!

Reactions: luludou

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Now I am intrigued to find cheddar puffs and bacon crackers.

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
I just took the bacon crackers out of the oven few minutes ago. They passed the taste test husband thought they were good and would be even better with a glass of wine later tonight. I baked mine longer then the 2 hours but I kept peaking too. They seemed a little soft in the center. I hope the rest are nice and crispy. I only made a 1/2 batch tonight. I’ll use the rest of the bacon tomorrow, I want to try it with brown sugar instead of the cheese.
Made 2 pans of stuffed shells for the freezer.
And more questions - AJ, how do you make you mini bacon pinwheels?

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
So i figured out I was baking my 1st test batches at 275. I got a call when I was setting stuff up and got distracted. Didn't figure it out till I tried again later last night. I couldn't find thin bacon, so I halved my full strips and then even quartered them. We tested both and everyone liked the quarter strips better. I also cooked mine for 1 1/2 hrs knowing I'll be heating them back up and DEFINITELY yes on using the bakers rack. Missed that too on my 1st batch and no only were they crisp, but they had soaked up all the fat and didn't taste to hot..lol BUT I got those puppies right today and have a tin full of them in the freezer. I also did two batches of the bread cubes. That's a little messy, but froze well and are in the zip lock now ready for later.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Myron's Mom - Great idea on the brown sugar variation - I bet that will be fantastic!!! Let me know how it turns out - I might try that next time!!!

Michelle - LOL on the temp!!! Details! Details!! So glad they turned out in the end!

Here is the bacon pinwheels recipe - I've made these over and over again - always gobbled up!!!

Freezer Mini Bacon Pinwheels

Take some time to make a batch of these little savory appetizers and freeze them for holiday entertaining.

Prep Time: 25 minutes

Cook Time: 13 minutes

Total Time: 38 minutes

Ingredients:

• 1 lb. loaf firm white sandwich bread (I just use store brand white bread and I have 2 loaves on hand just in case)

• 2 (8 oz.) pkgs. cream cheese, softened

• 1 tsp. garlic powder

• 1 Tbsp. dried parsley flakes

• 1/8 tsp. pepper

• 1 tsp. dried Italian seasoning

• 1 lb. smoked bacon (any flavor bacon will work - thinner strips are better if you can find them)
Preparation:

Line a baking sheet with wax or parchment paper.

Cut the crusts off bread slices. Flatten each piece with a rolling pin (this will make it easier to spread the cream cheese on)

In a medium bowl, combine cream cheese, garlic powder, parsley, pepper, and Italian seasoning. Spread an even, thin layer of the cream cheese mixture on each piece of bread. Using a pizza cutter, cut each piece into 3 rectangles. Roll each rectangle up, starting with the short side.

Cut each slice of bacon in half crosswise, and wrap a half slice of bacon around each of the bread rolls. Secure the rolls with toothpicks and arrange on prepared baking sheet. Freeze until firm. Transfer to ziploc bag for storage. The toothpicks "might" poke through so usually double bag.

Store in freezer for up to 3 months. Bake from frozen, right on the cookie sheet, at 375 degrees for 11-16 minutes until hot and browned. I've never used a rack to make these, the bread soaks up the grease for the most part!

UPDATE!!!

Assembly Advice: I find it easier to have 2 plates ready with a damp, lint free for each. I flatten two pieces of bread at a time with my rolling pin, use the pizza cutter to take the crusts off then pile onto one of the damp towels on a plate. I finish all of those and cover them up with the rest of the damp towel.

I have my cream cheese mixture ready, offset spatula is great for spreading this, and I get my bacon ready on a cutting board. Full length pieces of bacon I cut in thirds. Center cut bacon I just cut in half. Either way I cut the whole pack and then peel apart each slice and leave loose over the cutting board so each piece is easy to grab. I also fill a small bowl with toothpicks (I don't grab from the box during assembly because my hands are all bacon-y and I don't want to get germs on the rest!) AND I get my baking trays, lined with wax paper, ready for me to put the assembled pinwheels on.

Then I take out 4 pieces of bread at a time, spread with cream cheese, cut into 3rds with pizza cutter and then roll up each one. Each rolled up piece should stay together and I start putting those on the second plate lined with damp towel. I cover them up and then start with the next 4 pieces of bread.

When all rollups are assembled I start wrapping a piece of bacon around each one, sticking a toothpick through it and putting it on prepared lined baking sheet.

It sounds like a lot but this assembly line method makes it go a lot quicker for me.

I used a 16 oz pack and a 12 oz center cut pack of bacon this time and I used about a loaf and a half of bread slices ...

Last edited:
Reactions: Holiday_Mom

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Here is a link to the PW Cheddar Puffs for anyone who needs it!

https://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/cheese-puffs/

Here is a link back to a great thread full of various freezer recipes:

http://magicalholidayhome.com/forum/threads/master-freezer-cooking-thread-all-plans.32483/

But here are a couple more PW appetizer type links as well:

PW Twice Baked Potatoes - Note, she highly recommends leaving out the green onions if freezing!

http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2007/07/twice_baked_pot/

PW Fluffy New Potatoes - These are a great way to use up a bunch of small potatoes from your garden! Or a bag of them from the store

http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/fluffy-new-potatoes/

Reactions: luludou

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
good grief, those cheddar puffs look divine:).

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
I did NOT get to the bacon pinwheels this weekend - will do this week...

I did make and freeze the 3rd and final cheesecake - Dulche de Leche and it smelled divine!!!

Also made and baked and froze a double batch of PB Choc Swirl Cookies

The freezers are getting FULL!!! Gave a friend a turkey just to make some room!!! LOL We'll still have 3!

I need to go through the upright freezer still and reorganize and make room!!! Maybe tonight!

Cookies are DONE for this year other than one more round of Lemon Snowballs!

Only a few more things left to get in the freezer - a lasagna, a breakfast casserole and the pinwheels. Then I'll be done!

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
AJ, you are a marvel.
I have moved the day to day food into the kitchen freezer to free up room in the garage freezer. Both are fairly full.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
OK!

Lasagna - Done!

Bacon Pinwheels - Done!

Lemon Snowballs - Dough in the fridge, will bake tonight!

Just leaves the French Toast Casserole to get in the freezer and then I think they are going to be packed! Still need to do some rearranging to get 2 more turkeys in - I get a free one from work today or tomorrow and DH gets one from his work as well.

It's going to be tight!

I did think of something else to add to my Bacon Pinwheels recipe instructions above - remembered as I was making them - so I will update that earlier post!

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
Oh, my goodness, everything is sounding delicious right now! I'm behind on the cookie baking this year. There is no space for cookies yet. We've been eating out of the freezer this week. The turkey and Thanksgiving side dishes are in the freezer. Once I take them out, we will have plenty of space for the cookies. I'd love to try some of the appetizers but I don't know if I'll have the time.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Browned 2 lbs of pork sausage and got that in the freezer this weekend - will use for breakfast casseroles, pizza, etc.

Also juiced a bag of lemons, frozen juice in ice cube trays and froze the rinds for zesting later as well!

BIL requested a frozen lasagna for their gift this year so I have the items to make another one - plus a round of cheesy garlic bread - will work on that over the next couple of days. Planning to do at least the garlic bread tonight! Maybe I will make the lasagna sauce tonight and let it sit in fridge until tomorrow - makes things go more quickly to have that done...

We've ended up with only 2 turkeys and one we plan to make on Sunday, which will free up some space. But I think I'm really ok - I have room for the new lasagna and for the garlic bread.

And I may step up my gift shipping to this coming Monday - IF I can get Caramel Corn made and cookie tins filled this weekend - taking out cookies will definitely free up some room.

I have a TON of butter to freeze as soon as I get the space - $1.99 a lb!!! Love it!

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Did all our Christmas baking yesterday, it was a marathon day but I am glad to have it all done. It helps off course that I share the baking with my mum so that we can manage to get double done.
Bought another rolled turkey breast for the freezer for Easter, might grab another while they are available for use later in the year.
Half the biscuits that we baked yesterday will go in the freezer for use later in the year.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
I've added the lasagna, the cheesy garlic bread, a batch of Oatmeal Choc Chip cookies and a batch of Peanut Butter cookies with a Hershey's Kiss on top to the freezer! :)

We thawed a turkey and made it yesterday, most of the meat and the bones are back in the freezer.

I've got some pineapple juice left from draining two cans for a cake that I will freeze tonight for smoothies later.

My freezers are FULL! Time to start using it up! All the appetizers will come out for this weekend's party we are hosting so that will help!