Garage Sale "Finds"...

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Does anyone else garage/yard sale during the warmer months? In addition to the normal non-Christmassy things I am always on the look out for deals for the holidays. I've gone out a couple times so far this year and have already found several nice items to tuck away...

- Large Truck/Big Boots Toy Set - the vehicle itself is quite large, in great condition and came with a whole ziplock of coordinating Big Boots people and other items - $5

It was a little dusty but once I wipe it all down and find a box for it I think it will make a nice addition to Christmas gifts for DS this year!

- Artificial Flowers/Picks/Sprays

I've found several artificial poinsettias in pots or just loose stems that were anywhere from $0.10 a stem or $0.50 for a whole pot. So much cheaper than buying new and I can use my wire cutters to break up the pots and then work the flowers into wreaths, garlands or just use them on one of the trees

I also found a nice bunch of artificial mums in a rust color that will work great for fall arrangements - can't beat $0.50! :)

I also found two long lengths of artificial leaf garland - green colors - with clusters of grapes on them. I can clip the grapes off and add some fall colored leaf garland (from $ store) and white Christmas lights to make really pretty Autumn decorations for some high shelves in our living room. Garlands were only $1 each!

- Baskets

$0.50 seems to be the going rate for all sorts of baskets and I've been snapping up all the nice ones I see. Some are a really decent size/quality for the price! I'm seeing gift baskets, ladies! :)

In the past I've gotten ornaments and Christmas trees at yard sales, but I've learned to be careful of the trees. Sometimes they are missing pieces or they are so old and brittle they should have been tossed. But tabletop size trees are a great potential find since you can see what you are getting up front.

You just never know what you'll find which is part of the fun. Just curious what bargains others have found or if you have a mental "list" of things to watch for along these lines - or creative ways to use items commonly found at sales in making gifts, gift baskets or just adding to your home decor.

Some other items I'm watching for, only getting those in new or like new condition:

- Metal Christmas Tins

- Coffee Mugs in a plain color (Could use to make a Hot Cocoa gift or as add in to gift basket)

- Wreath forms, grapevine wreaths, or any type of wreath with or without decorations - basically anything I either already like or that I can tear apart and reassemble as desired...

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
AJ I would love to do garage sales... but dh NOT. I have been to a few in the past and have picked up christmas wrapping paper, Halloween decorations, a pair of skates (old white skate I plan to paint ONE DAY) for Christmas, books, dvds.

snowlvr

Retire Member
Oct 14, 2007
Western North Carolina
Love to find treasures at garage sales! I have also found wrapping paper and some nice decorations...need to get back out there now that its spring...

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Went out again this weekend and got some more silk flowers in Autumn colors, probably all I'll need + two really pretty wreaths that will work as is - no changes needed. One is pretty small and the other is medium sized, but they are both very pretty. One was $2 and the little one was only $0.50 - so loving that deal!

No other holiday finds really, other than a couple more baskets I picked up...

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
I'm now convinced I may never have to buy holiday decor at retail again - hit more sales and picked up baskets, evergreen garland with pinecones (2 long ones!), autumn leaf garland, picks/sprays, etc.

Such good deals!

I also snagged a white cermaic soup tureen set at an estate sale for $8! Can't wait to use that! Probably for my Wrapping Party I'm having again this year for the girls!

Anyone else had any garage sale luck this year so far?

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
AJ sounds like you are doing fantastic at these sales. I havent had much time lately but I am hoping to start going soon. My goal is stop at the ones in town espeically if holiday decorations are listed. I did score a bunch of Christmas books on a FB online yard sale a couple weeks ago.

ChristmasPir8

Premiere Member
Nov 8, 2008
La La Land
DH and I have been to some this season but have not had much luck at them really. I don't have any specific stuff I have been looking for but sounds likeyou have scored some great deals!

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
It's our city's garage sale weekend. There are sale signs all over so tomorrow there will be lots more. I see lots of cars heading in and out of the one up the street from our house.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Hope you found some deals, Ahorsesoul! Garage sales throughout a whole town are the way to go! I hit one of those this past weekend too and it was nice!

Sales can really be hit and miss sometimes, piratemamaof3boys! I hope you find some garage sale magic soon!

Minta - I've never heard of a FB Online Yard Sale! I am intrigued! I love Christmas books, I have so many and always so tempted to buy more!

I finally found some boys clothes in 5T or boys Small at a couple of sales on Saturday - got several things for summertime playclothes and few items that are really nice for next winter that he'll grow into.

Found a few more holiday things - a large twig wreath I'll strip down to the base and rework, some large silk amaryllis flowers on tall green stalks, a fairly large sled (metal frame with the sled part made from basket material - only $3!!!!), a little tabletop tree (that one was FREE :) ) and so on...

I picked up a few children's books for $0.50 each - some are Christmas and put away for this year.

I think that I'm at the point where my purchases of holiday decor is going to slow way down - I have enough silk flowers and garland I'm pretty sure!

So many times I go up to a sale and it is all little girls clothes or baby toys, etc. But you never know what you will find - which is the fun part!

jollykelly

Premiere Member
Feb 22, 2015
Lehigh Valley, Pa
I have not had much luck at tag sales. I will keep trying though as all of these great deals are inspiring!!