Getting a head start

Discussion in 'Kitchen Chatter' started by Minta, Mar 8, 2017.

1. AuntJamelle

AuntJamelle Well-Known Member

Didn't CEO share a tip a long time ago about labeling things "Liver and Onions" on the outside - with true label hidden inside - to hide them from hungry family members? lol :)

sweetpumkinpye and Minta like this.
  2. tanya

tanya Well-Known Member

My Mum used to hide chocolate in a big casserole dish with a lid. Only her and I knew it was there. Dad knew there was a secret stash but could never find it. He used to come to the kitchen and say, "Hi Dear, could you break open that secret stash of yours, Id like some chocolate please." Mum used to make him leave the room til she got it from her hiding spot.

Minta likes this.
  3. MinnieCo

MinnieCo Well-Known Member

I just got my Costco money back from my membership and was thinking maybe I'll use that to stock up on backing stuff I'll need..like new vanilla, chocolate chips, nuts, and misc things like that. They also had some aluminum pans that have been awesome to use on the grill. Those might come in handy for storage as well during the holidays so I may pick up another pack.

Minta likes this.
  4. sweetpumkinpye

sweetpumkinpye Well-Known Member

Michele, I think this is also a good time to think about what food gifts we may be giving to family and friends. Do we need to stock up on plastic containers or fancy gift boxes. Are there anything in the shops now that we can buy and store.
    I am now going to look at aluminum pans for use on the bbq for summer and store those away. Thanks for the tip.

Minta likes this.
  5. MinnieCo

MinnieCo Well-Known Member

Good thought Katrina. That reminded me I'm actually working on saving up my plastic storage bowls for holiday left overs. Because I'm kinda OCD I don't just save random bowls and they sorta have to match so they stack nicely and don't take up to much space. For example, when I buy lunch meat they come in those awesome plastic containers that are perfect for this type of thing. I also started saving my NOOSA yogurt bowls for pie or smaller side dishes. We were always scrambling for bowls at my inlaws, so now I just take a bag with me and anyone can use them as needed. It worked GREAT last year and I don't have to worry about getting anything back to my mother in law.

Minta likes this.
  6. AuntJamelle

AuntJamelle Well-Known Member

Michelle - That reminds me to add trips to the Dollar Store to my to do list over the next months. I always pick up their foil round cake pans (3 packs) to use for leftovers. They come with little lids you can crimp the edges of the pan down on and work great!

I need to dust off my master holiday menu plan document and master holiday grocery spreadsheet soon too!

Minta likes this.
  7. sweetpumkinpye

Mum and I went through all the baking supplies last week. We added to the shopping list the things we are low on and we will pick those up in the next few weeks.

festivefun and Minta like this.
  8. missjane

missjane Well-Known Member

For those in the US, now is a good time to pick up anything red that you need with all the patriotic decorations, tableware, etc.

Minta and jollykelly like this.
  9. jollykelly

jollykelly Active Member

Great Idea Miss Jane! My local grocery store had a section of red white and blue things. I remember seeing red wrapped candy and red aluminum disposable cake pans. I am going to swing by after work to see if they are marked down!

Minta likes this.
  10. Doodlebug

Doodlebug Active Member

I love this idea!!! Going to check my supplies today and start a list.

Minta likes this.
  11. sweetpumkinpye

What a great idea! The red and white could be used for so many things around Christmas time.
    Great time to stock up!!!

Minta likes this.