Gift closet 2016

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Well here we are a month after Christmas 2015. Have any of us made plans for what we need to buy/make for 2016?

I have started a list of potential gifts for my kids and already have a few small things in the gift closet. Not much but it is a start.
Realising how quickly 2015 went I would like to be a little ahead of the game this year.

tanya

Premiere Member
Jan 8, 2012
Yep,

I have lots of bits and pieces. It is DS's birthday in April and lots will go towards that! It is kind of a mess at the moment but with DS still being on holidays it is too difficult to get it worked out.

I have started to order some stocking stuffers from ebay and aliexpress- they will slowly start to trickle in over the next couple of weeks.

It is on my list of things to sort out when DS goes back to school. Along with picking up a few ore stuffer/ small items that we have seem when we have been out and about at the shops over the holidays. I have seen Minion Pez but cant purchase it yet as DS is with me and I need t check te best beofre date- it may be a small thing for his birthday- we also do lots of small gifts for birthdays here as well as Christmas.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I have been collecting a few things too. Easier for me as I am often out without the kids.
Easter is in March this year so quite early, I have been thinking about what to get the kids. DS wants a DVD so I will get that for him and I think I will get
'The Dressmaker' when it comes out for DD. I will get them Tim Tams or another biscuit as they don't really like Easter Egg chocolate.
I think I may look on Aliexpress to see what they have that is interesting.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I picked up to beautiful Christmas toddler blankets at my favorite shop at 50% off. I do need to find a place to put them so I do not forget them.

I found several things I had forgotten when I was cleaning a few weeks ago that I should have given out this last Christmas.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Diedra, always I bonus when you find things that you had forgotten.
Lana, the floor puzzle sounds great, Teigan will love it.

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
I have a few things I picked up after Christmas. Flashlights for the guys and some small traveling jewelry cases for the girls. I hope to pick up some jewelry to put into the jewelry cases. I like to look at Burke's for it.

I got DSIL shirts for his birthday on Black Friday - buy 1, get 2. DDIL's birthday gift was bought the first week of January, so I'm ahead of the game on both of those.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
I really worked at cleaning out a lot of the stuff in my gift closet last year but I still have a few generic hats, gloves and scarves left.

I gave DS all the socks I had collected for him last year because he said he was running out so I have to start that collection anew.

FrostyShimmer

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
I usually have most of my shopping done by now from the big clearances, but I'm being a lot more selective this year.

One thing I did buy for the girls is a zipfy (little plastic luge) for each of them. They are normally about $40, and I got them for $18 each. They don't have any kind of sled or anything, so I think they'll be a good gift.

I also found a $67 Furreal Friends panda on clearance for $16.00....and I had a $15 coupon....so I couldn't turn that one down! I think with taxes it was still under $4.

Only other thing I picked up was a silicon chocolate mold tray of Christmas shapes and a thermometer. I'm focusing more on things to do together next year, so that seemed to fit in nicely.

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
I opened a Christmas club last Nov and been faithfully putting in $25 a week. I am hopping between shopping sales/clearances all year and the Christmas Club we can keep spending down. The last 2 years were very expensive Christmases, especially for our kids. They have been warned not to expect that this year. Stopped at Hallmark last week and picked new ornaments for the kids.

Over the weekend I discovered a forgotten bag containing a few stocking stuffers for our son. Since they are not holiday/winter themed they will be used for his Easter Basket this year. While out shopping over the weekend we picked up a couple things for our daughter's Easter Basket.

I have been tinkering with the idea of making rice bag warmers for some family members for Christmas. We shall see.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I have been tinkering with the idea of making rice bag warmers for some family members for Christmas. We shall see.
One of DD's LCs has made these and we love them. My DS (40) even asked if they would make him one. Go for it!

FrostyShimmer

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
I opened a Christmas club last Nov and been faithfully putting in $25 a week. I am hopping between shopping sales/clearances all year and the Christmas Club we can keep spending down. The last 2 years were very expensive Christmases, especially for our kids. They have been warned not to expect that this year. Stopped at Hallmark last week and picked new ornaments for the kids.

Over the weekend I discovered a forgotten bag containing a few stocking stuffers for our son. Since they are not holiday/winter themed they will be used for his Easter Basket this year. While out shopping over the weekend we picked up a couple things for our daughter's Easter Basket.

Do you just put normal rice in these? My DD5 has been asking if I could make one for her.

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
One of DD's LCs has made these and we love them. My DS (40) even asked if they would make him one. Go for it!

Thanks. The sewing machine is still packed up from when we moved. I think this spring I will look for it and give it a try.

Do you just put normal rice in these? My DD5 has been asking if I could make one for her.

I have seen posts and instructions with using regular rice and others with using corn feed.

The kids got new boots the other day so I put the empty shoe boxes on the top shelf in my closet. I am going to store stocking stuffers for the family in them so I can stop misplacing and forgetting about the misplaced stocking stuffers :)

Last edited:

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
At Aldis tonight I got a Discovery Kids construction fort kit. You can build a tunnel, igloo, castle, rocketship etc.. You can put a blanket over it. It was 14.99 and around Christmas I saw it at Wal-Mart for 19.99.

Ordered Jaymee a head wrap to dry her hair in and the lady said it is in.

Now I NEED to wrap as I get and be that much farther ahead in the game!

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Lana, if you wrap now,
1) do you remember what you have bought,
2) does the wrapping stay nice,
3) where do you store things?

FrostyShimmer

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
At Aldis tonight I got a Discovery Kids construction fort kit. You can build a tunnel, igloo, castle, rocketship etc.. You can put a blanket over it. It was 14.99 and around Christmas I saw it at Wal-Mart for 19.99.

Ordered Jaymee a head wrap to dry her hair in and the lady said it is in.

Now I NEED to wrap as I get and be that much farther ahead in the game!

I have that Discovery Kids construction kit, and the kids love it! Good price you paid for it. It sells for $45 around here.

housewife2

Premiere Member
Aug 3, 2008
va
I got 2 sweathers 5 little notepads with pens and 2 pocketbooks to put in tote for this Christmas.

tanya

Premiere Member
Jan 8, 2012
I added to my collection of stocking stuffers today. In the Back to School sales- I picked up some erasable highlighter pens for DS (50 cents each), a Donald Duck chapstick ($1.00 on sale)- really happy with this as DS is a huge D. Duck fan and in Summer he uses lots of chapstick as his lips get dry from being in the sun and some chuppa chup scented tealight candles for me (80cents a packet of 6).

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Tanya, some good finds there. I too got some stocking fillers. A 5 pack of pens and note book for DS who uses them for work, some candy cane scented bath caviar for DD. I need to find some chap stick or paw paw for DS, his lips are always dry.
Picked up 3 DVDs for in the Easter gift bags. The were $19.99 each or 3 for $40.00. I need to pick up "The Dressmaker" when it is released later in February for DD Easter bag.