Gift closet 2017

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
I bought two "zombie" nerf guns for $5.00. They were originally $25.00 I was SUPER happy. My nephews birthday shopping is done!

housewife2

Premiere Member
Aug 3, 2008
va
i bought some wrapping paper tags small goody bags and some wine bags today. I didn't need a lot. I m buying a target gift card every week to shop for Christmas .

Reactions: sweetpumkinpye

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
I have been doing a lot thinking about gift giving this year. I think I will make an item for each one then give a gift of experience. My granddaughters have so much "stuff" and they will just get more. My 2 daughters are minimalist and really don't want much more. My youngest is at home and unless he decides to move out this year will not need anything. (He is saving to pay cash for a car and good down payment on a housing.) My oldest and his family are transitioning so will wait and see about them.

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
You know Jody, I really like the "experience" idea. I may consider that this year for some people in my life. I do books, clothing, something personal and such, but I like the experience addition or replacement. Our son is mid 20's and super hard to shop for other than video games. This might be something to help with that.

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
This past Christmas, we did more experiences and less "stuff". We made a point of doing something about twice a week and even went to visit my sis in St. Augustine for their downtown Nights of Lights. Pretty! And amazing all looked so well after the hurricane flooding of the city late last summer.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Got a great deal at Meijer today! They have all their clearance items at another 20% off the marked down price. Happened upon a bunch of candles that were marked at $1.19 or less. Really nice ones in glass jars, pretty labels, cork toppers. Made in USA! :) Got 7 of them in assorted sizes and scents!

For example, one of the large candles was originally $11.99, I got it for $2.14!!! The small 4 oz candles were only $0.63! Originally $7.99!

I always give candles each year! They are a nice something extra to slip into gift baskets, boxes I am shipping, etc. They might even end up being what I give teachers aides next year!

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
AJ, great buys. I love candles and I too try and give as gifts. I burn a candle or wax melts everyday that I am at home.

tanya

Premiere Member
Jan 8, 2012
As teacher I would much prefer candles as a gift. There are only so many chocolates, cookies etc that can be eaten. Candles don't go stale if not used right away. I also like Christmas ornaments- I have some that go out every year. I think of these kids each year when putting up my tree. Many of these kids would have their own kids now.

Reactions: sweetpumkinpye

tanya

Premiere Member
Jan 8, 2012
All the talk of candles before but have had them on my mind. I added one to my stocking stash today when I was at the shops- on sale too.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Lisa, I often think of what teachers get as gifts.
I get a lot of gifts from patients around Christmas and like you it is nearly always chocolate or biscuits. I am appreciative but the occasional candle or notebook etc would be lovely.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I just thought that I would post an idea that my boss did for Christmas.

She and her family and friends (all adults) did a gift exchange that I thought was a little different.
They all wrapped a book that they had read during the year and really enjoyed. They then all put the wrapped books under the tree and
took turns to pick a book.
I thought that this was great because not only are you recycling, but you get to read another great book.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Katrina that is a wonderful idea! I would love to have a gift exchange like that.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Need to grab my planner today and mark off the things I bought this week. I saw an idea at IKEA which I want to do for my mum. It is a large jar layered with IKEA tealight candles. I have bought the jar and the candles. Am thinking of adding a candle dish and a gas lighter and put it together as a gift.
Got a few more stocking fillers when I did the groceries on Tuesday, need to get them into the appropriate boxes.

ejagno

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Aug 31, 2010
SW Louisiana
January has been filled with purchasing and preparing Valentine and Easter gifts for the grandchildren as well as the (2) White Elephant gifts, a Charity gift for Toys for Tots and small gifts for our 2017 Saran Wrap Ball we will be doing for the first time this Christmas. I did in fact wrap and label the Christmas gifts using some fabulous wrapping paper I found during an after Christmas clearance.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
OK, curiosity peaked.....what is a Saran wrap ball?

ejagno

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Aug 31, 2010
SW Louisiana
A saran wrap ball is tons of small gifts, gift cards and such all bundled up in layers of Saran Plastic Wrap. Go to YouTube or Pinterest and type in Saran Wrap Ball. Each couple of weeks I try to pick up something for this game. So far I've gotten nail polish, grill LED light, cool designed USB Charger, and Yeti koozie. The rest of the family members are contributing to the giant ball of surprises as well. This is designed to bring the fun and excitement back for the adults in the family. We all buy for the children.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Looking at Pintrest as soon as I get off here.

Just back from the mall/ One of the big chain pharmacies (like Walgreens) had 40% off skin care. Got every thing on DDs Christmas wish list for this coming Christmas. 2 gifts done for her.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Bought some socks (1$), a bracelet and a necklace ($4 each), a fur scarf ($4)... hum... unless I keep a few for me right now :)