Gift closet 2017

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Went shopping... finally! Got 2 polar sweaters for dnephews (twins), 1 batman sweatshirt for other nephew. PJ pants for me & dd, 1 bedroom robe(?) for either ds or dh, 1 pair of cabin socks for dd all for Christmas. Bought myself a salt lamp for my bday too.

Reactions: Minta

jollykelly

Premiere Member
Feb 22, 2015
Lehigh Valley, Pa
great job Lucie! I always wanted a salt lamp

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
Washington, the Evergreen State
My gift closet has one item in it so far - a make up sponge for Sophia (needed one for myself and it was buy one, get one free so I figured I'd pick up one for her stocking). We use the Amazon Wish List feature for her gifts - we did the seven things gift-giving last year - something you want, something you need, something to wear, something to read; something to make, something to eat, and something else. She loads up her Amazon Wish List all year and then has a deadline of November 15 to clean it up and move things to the need, want, wear, etc. sub-lists. I go in and pick things and have them sent to her (since this will most likely be another Christmas on two coasts for us). She gets things she'd like from her lists, but she just doesn't know exactly what those things might be.

Last year, I made the mistake of having everything sent to me (free shipping since I have Prime). I wrapped it all up with tags that said something you need, etc. and packaged up a big box. HUGE mistake as when I took it to UPS to mail, it was nearly $200! I had no idea Ground Shipping was so expensive. This year, I'll have Amazon put the gift tags on and send the boxes via Prime directly to her. Expensive lesson learned.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Pam, what a shock about the postage.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Postage just doesn't make sense anymore. I refrain from sending token gifts to friends because it costs way more than the gifts! :( very sad!

tanya

Premiere Member
Jan 8, 2012
I have added a few bits to the list. Fidget cube, fidget spinner, lipsticks for me, novelty reindeer antler game- all from ebay and good prices. Excluding the lipsticks I paid less than $6 for the lot.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
How do you go about that?
Look at a blog called Down to Earth. It is an Australian Homesteading blog and Rhonda makes a lot of fruit cordials.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Love the Down to Earth blog! and she always has an interesting reading list every week.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Priceline (like CVS, Walgreens) had a lot of their top named brands on sale this week for 50% off. DD had given me a list at the beginning of the year so I stocked up on a lot of things. I am doing a gift basket for DD for Christmas full of moisturiser, foundation, mascara etc, so that is looking much better.
I also got travel sized products at a very good price.

tanya

Premiere Member
Jan 8, 2012
Love the Priceline sale Katrina- my local one has sunscreen for next Summer at 75% off- some were close to use by date but others were still good til October 2019.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Tanya, I am not sure that I have ever paid full price for items such as sunscreen. We use the Neutrogena spray sunscreen and always manage to find it on sale.
It is a great time to be stocking up on all the summer essentials. Lip balm, sunscreen, in shower moisturiser, deodorant, razors and self tanner are all in the gift closet and all bought at reduced prices.

jollykelly

Premiere Member
Feb 22, 2015
Lehigh Valley, Pa
Just when I thought there was no way of finding discounted Christmas items anymore...I hit the jackpot...at no other place than Staples (the office supply store). I ran in to get file folders and went back to check out the clearance rack and much to my surprise there were lots of Christmas items there! Here was my haul:

(10) tin gift card holders - 0.50 cents each (reg. $3.99 each)
(3) Starbucks Christmas mug set - $2.00 each (reg. $19.99 each). The hot chocolate that is included will expire 10/2017, but I will remove that and simply replace with new packets. This will be easy enough to do
(1) pack of Christmas stationary - $1.00 (reg. 14.99)
(2) 36 count of gel pens with case - $10 each (reg. $28.00 each)
and the best of all....Lindt Lindor truffles for $2.99....this is the best because this will be for me to enjoy on Rudy day!

Funny thing is that I never picked up the file folders I went in for. Sigh, how easily I am sidetracked.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
JK - that is a great haul! Enjoy your Lindor truffles.

Just ordered on Amazon... A Christmas Cd (gift from the elves), 2 Christmas movies (from the elves), 2 simpsons dvd (for ds)

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Doing well on the purchases girls. Just think that all the hardwork we are doing now will pay off come December.

Bought socks 3 pair for $10 today will put away for DH and DS. Got some books on discount at Kmart, some books were only $5. Got DD a Mandela colouring book and that will go in her stocking. Will check at some stage if she has pencils and if not will get her some.

Cannot believe that we are into May, I really need to keep persevering and get more in the closet.

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
Great Job everyone!!! I was just telling my DH this morning that I feel so far behind this year. I hardly have anything bought for Christmas. I have been looking but I haven't been finding any good deals lately. The only positive thing so far is that we have been faithfully putting money aside each month for Christmas.

jollykelly

Premiere Member
Feb 22, 2015
Lehigh Valley, Pa
Great job ladies! Putting money aside each month is just as good in my book, and one of my biggest challenges. Here is an update.....the truffles I bought will in no way make it to Rudy Day as planned. I guess self control is also one of my biggest challenges! :cool:

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I really think that ANYTHING that we do now has to help us come Christmastime. It does not matter if it is dollars in the bank or a few things in the closet. The purpose is to make our lives easier and as stress free as possible.