Gpd 2014?

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

DebbiGall

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
I noticed no one posted a October great pumpkin day thread.
So I will post one now, I hope everyone has some great plans going on
I haven't heard about any Halloween bashes and I love reading about those.
So what are your plans for October? come on do tell.
I've been to the Texas Renaissance festival this last weekend with my DGD.
I'm hoping to go to the 3 mile corn maze in Brenham soon.

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
Our daughter turned 13 a couple weeks ago and her party is this weekend. She wanted a costume party and thankfully the weather will be nice for her party. We are turning the back covered patio into a dance floor with orange, white and purple lights being strung around the top of the patio. There will be a fire pit with hay bales surround it for seating. The kids can roast marshmallows. We will be stringing more orange, white and purple lights through the trees in back yard for additional lighting.

Food: Meatball sandwiches, "Mummy Hotdogs", witches hat, chips & dip, popcorn, halloween shaped cut out sugar cookies & halloween themed cupcakes, water, soda and apple cider.

Halloween night my sister inlaw & her hubby and their girls are coming to our house. The hubbys will be handing out candy while my sister in law and I take the kids around the neighborhood trick or treating.

Cathymac2

Premiere Member
Aug 8, 2013
Arkansas
Ok I'll play!! I will bore you with the details of our annual party, Boo!Bash8. Wow. 8 years we've been doing this. Time flies.
Ok. Here we go. I always use black, white and orange as my color scheme with a loose "Eat, Drink and Be Scary" as my overall theme. We will have a photo booth with fun props, a food station with hot dogs (to roast over the fire in the fire pit) chili, nachos, cornbread, crackers, chips for Frito Chili Pie, and desserts. We will have a movie theater set up at the back fence with movies playing, including Charlie Brown and the great pumpkin and "Paranorman". There will be a popcorn bar with flavorings to sprinkle on popped corn and of course, a candy bar and a tub of iced drinks. We have a costume contest and a pumpkin contest. Participants bring a decorated or carved pumpkin.
I plan to decorate with Christmas lights strung from the back porch to my studio across the yard and plenty of paper lanterns, tissue balls and paper fans hanging around. I have a wooden ladder that will hang over the serving table. I am still figuring out how to decorate it.
I have made prizes for the contests using dollar tree skeletons that I posed in funny ways, hot glued to a board and spray painted gold. The pumpkin prizes are small faux pumpkins glued to a board and spray painted gold.
There is still plenty to do and I'm holding my breath about the weather. The party is always the Saturday before Halloween so it's October 25 this year. Fingers crossed and prayers going up!!

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com
This year we just me and DH will be attending a 'haunted village' - it's at a historical village museum, and will attend with the boys at Saunders Farm Fright Fest.

Decorations will be the spiders, again :) I like creepy without gore
Its surprising what a big spider hanging over the steps do to people - some will not walk under him!

Cathymac2

Premiere Member
Aug 8, 2013
Arkansas
We got a little clean up done yesterday for the party. This week is T-6 days and counting. I plan to work on painting my chalkboards today to use as signs and the rest of the week divided between house cleaning and costume making. Friday I xm off and will grocery shop and finish costumes as necessary. Saturday I plan to decorate and be done by 2 or so. Then I can relax and dress without hurrying. That's the plan anyway. The weather is supposed to be great.

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
DebbiGall…. I am so happy that you started this thread! The posts are great!!!!!!!

The party ideas…. from Minta and CathyMac2…. sound absolutely wonderful!!! Really really fun ideas! The extra effort is going to make these parties…. real standouts! I would love to go to both of them!

I DID have Halloween decorations around…. for last Thursday's "Casual Gathering of Friends" party. Plenty of decorations along the path leading to the front door. Decorations along the outside of the garden. And some pretty jack-o-lantern pumpkins on the tables and serving areas. I did not decorate "specifically" for this party. These decorations were just part of the "lead-up to Halloween" that goes on throughout October. I enjoyed having them for that party because they added to the general "festive atmosphere".

For some reason… our public schools have Halloween as a holiday. Seems like a very good opportunity to have a party. I've started asking around…. I am willing to join in on setting one up. I haven't built my energy up enough…. to host one on my own.