HGP 2015 - Week 3 - Entryway/Foyer

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com
Welcome to Week Three of the Holiday Grand Plan: Entry/Foyer Week!

This week, we tackle deep-cleaning and decluttering our entryway or foyer, to create a welcoming entrance to the home for holiday guests.

Holiday prep chores focus on baking and kitchen as we plan our baked goodies and start stocking up for holiday meals. More printable forms help our Holiday Grand Plan notebooks grow.

Ready? Let's get organized with Entry/Foyer Week at the Holiday Grand Plan!

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com
This week will see a lot of activity in this area! We are turning our enclosed front porch into a 'mudroom' so our foyer is loaded with material to install and items to donate.

The front of our home faces a busy street, not an area where we sit to 'relax', we often sit on the open side porch (kitchen); side porch is where we also hand out our Halloween treats etc...

So far I have donated/decluttered (all these items are in need of repair/ was a 'planned' upcycle) :
an extra table and 3 dining chairs
davenport
4 arm chairs
3 computer chairs
2 side tables
a sewing machine cabinet
a credenza
a dresser​

:elf: It's amazing how much 'stuff' we have accumulated, and I have not even gone through boxes, baskets or bins in the attic! A strong focus on getting rid of the 'stuff' that takes up valuable space in my home!

Working on some baking this morning again, lots of quick breads and muffins for the boys lunches this weekend. Into the freezer also went some chicken souvlaki, diced celery and onions for the holiday stuffing, and the green beans!

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
We only have a very tiny entry hall and I actually deep cleaned it last week when I did my lounge room. Will concentrate on my family room/craft room/ office space this week.

cmerth

Premiere Member
Dec 19, 2007
thetilteditalian.com
My entry does need a tweak and a good cleaning. Coat closet--- is fine. I have actually started a slight re-decorate.

My baking goods arrives via delivery from the grocery store this afternoon. Now I can start my fall baking. Lots of pumpkin bread and cinnamon bread.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
wow HE! that is alot to get rid of... you must SEE the extra space you have!

Entry closets will get done in a few weeks when the cold weather comes in and it's time to change clothes around.

CheeryChick

Retire Member
Aug 16, 2011
Michigan
Wow! Week Three already! It seemed like we just jumped into HGP yesterday.

Here's my list for the week:

[X] Check and update supply of holiday candles, Wallflowers, room spray, etc.
[ ] Deep clean foyer (mop tile floor, wash front door, polish storm door windows and sidelights, etc.) and decorate it for fall.
[ ] Vacuum entrance rug.
[ ] Vacuum stairs that lead up from the foyer.
[ ] Wash and polish handrail on the stairs (Murphy's Oil Soap, orange oil).
[ ] Change decor on foyer table for fall.
[ ] Bake freezer-friendly pumpkin bread. http://thefrugalgirls.com/2014/11/freezer-friendly-pumpkin-bread-recipe.html
[ ] Make a holiday meal and add it to the freezer.
[ ] Buy two canned food items from the Thanksgiving menu.
[ ] Organize an area to keep items for the Thanksgiving menu.

[ ] Order Christmas cards and address labels (rolled over from Week 2).
[X] Research this year's holiday postage stamps and mark on the calendar when to purchase them.
Edit: OMG! Charlie Brown Christmas?? SO cute! https://store.usps.com/store/browse...&productId=S_680204&categoryId=holiday-stamps

So far this morning, I've made one batch of green chile chicken (http://thefrugalgirls.com/2015/05/crockpot-freezer-meal-green-chile-chicken.html) and cooked up four pounds of lean ground beef to store in the freezer (divided into four one-pound bags). It's so handy to have ground beef already cooked to toss into a casserole, spaghetti sauce, etc. I still would like to make one more freezer meal this week.

Last edited:

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
I will post more later as I am just hopping on super quick to check the boards - but ditto on the OMG for the Charlie Brown Christmas stamps!!!

I about hyperventilated over the cuteness!

CheeryChick

Retire Member
Aug 16, 2011
Michigan
I will post more later as I am just hopping on super quick to check the boards - but ditto on the OMG for the Charlie Brown Christmas stamps!!!

I about hyperventilated over the cuteness!

Me too! Seeing those this morning just gave me an extra boost of holiday spirit! :rudolph: It's one of my favorite traditions to watch the Charlie Brown holiday movies every year; they just make me feel like a child at heart. I marked my calendar so I wouldn't forget to make a beeline for the post office on October 1 so that I can pick some up for our Christmas cards.

I was totally fired up about getting the foyer squared away this morning, so I've made a LOT of progress.

[X] Deep clean foyer (mop tile floor, wash front door, polish storm door windows and sidelights, etc.) and decorate it for fall.
[X] Vacuum entrance rug.
[X] Vacuum stairs that lead up from the foyer.
[X] Wash and polish handrail/bannisters on the stairs (Murphy's Oil Soap, orange oil).
[X] Change decor on foyer table for fall.
[ ] Bake freezer-friendly pumpkin bread. http://thefrugalgirls.com/2014/11/fr...ad-recipe.html

[/] Order Christmas cards and address labels (rolled over from Week 2). -- Address labels for both Thanksgiving and Christmas are done. I ordered them from TinyPrints.com. Here's a RetailMeNot coupon code for 20% off your order and free shipping, too (worked for me today; not sure when it expires!): TPH1C15
[X] Research this year's holiday postage stamps and mark on the calendar when to purchase them.
Edit: OMG! Charlie Brown Christmas?? SO cute! https://store.usps.com/store/browse/...holiday-stamps

I also made a small list of things for my husband to help me with. Sometime over the summer (maybe during a storm?), our doorbell button got cracked, so I've asked him to replace it for me. Along that line, I'd like to get a new doorbell chime mechanism for inside the house (in our foyer). The one we currently have is as old as the house and the plastic has aged and yellowed. It shouldn't be too much of an investment to get a new one that looks much nicer.

Last edited:

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Those stamps are so darn cute.

CheeryChick

Retire Member
Aug 16, 2011
Michigan
Those stamps are so darn cute.

LOL, I think everyone in the HGP group (at least from the U.S.A.), is going to be running out to get them once they're released. :)

:thanksgiving4: I just got two loaves of my absolute favorite Downeast Maine Pumpkin Bread into the oven. I was going to do a "freezer-friendly" recipe that is new to me, but as I've not tried that version before, I decided to see how my usual recipe would freeze. The recipe makes two loaves, so I'm going to leave one out to eat now (because why not? Pumpkin! <3 ), and one is going into the freezer for later. Allegedly, quick breads will last 2-3 months in the freezer. What is everyone's tried-and-true method for wrapping bread so that it will last in the freezer? The Internet is saying let the bread cool completely, then wrap it with plastic wrap and put it in a Ziploc freezer bag.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Cheery Chick, we cannot buy canned pumpkin in Australia (much to my dismay). Do you think that boiled and mashed real pumpkin would work just as well.
My mouth is watering at the thought of pumpkin bread!!!!

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
CheeryChick - I think your normal pumpkin bread recipe should freeze fine. Quick breads, muffins, etc. all tend to freeze great! Cooling, wrapping in plastic wrap and slipping into a ziplock bag is perfect! Since I eat the muffins so quickly (take them for my breakfasts, snacks, etc.) sometimes I just put them right in the ziplock bags without any extra wrapping and they do fine that way too!

I am still not done with Week 2 tasks but I'm in the home stretch! 1 window left to clean, ceiling fans to dust and that should do it!

I also went ahead and switched out our bedding to the fall set yesterday. And I have almost finished Fall decor for the house. Have one area left to do in living room plus a couple of things I want to do on the front porch, but I'm 80% done now!

My list for this week is dual purpose. I'll do entry way and then I've also added our downstairs bathroom to this week as well...

Entry
[ ] Dust for cobwebs in ceiling corners
[ ] Wipe down/Polish inside of door
[ ] Magic Eraser walls as needed
[ ] Clean spots on carpet
[ ] Put out boot trays
[ ] Vacuum rug and move to also wash tile floor (Grout Sealer?)

Downstairs Bath
[ ] Dust ceiling for cobwebs
[ ] Spot clean walls
[ ] Windex mirror
[ ] Clean sink and toilet as usual
[ ] Shine fixtures
[ ] Vacuum/Wash tile
[ ] Hang decorative items (never did this after we moved back in)

Holiday Prep
[X] Make at least two freezer meals or meal components - DONE! :) Got 4 freezer meals, 1 bag of meatballs, 1 small bag of browned ground beef, 1 small bag of browned pork sausage and 1 batch of Roasted Veggie Puree in the freezer this weekend!

nursemomtothree

Retire Member
Aug 18, 2008
Tennessee
Hey everyone!

I've been following along for the past couple weeks, I'm just not finding time to post.

DH helped a lot with the outside entryway/patio things during that week. He was a big help.

This week I'll clean the hall closet ( near front door ) and cubbies areas (entrance from garage door)

Feeding the freezer isn't happening. I so want some quick breads, but I've recently been diagnosed with pre diabetes, so carbs are off my list! I know there are low carb recipes, I need to search out some things to try.

Our family room and kitchen are decorated for fall...and that's about it for me.

I hope everyone has a great week! Keep up the good work!

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com
Cheery Chick, we cannot buy canned pumpkin in Australia (much to my dismay). Do you think that boiled and mashed real pumpkin would work just as well.
My mouth is watering at the thought of pumpkin bread!!!!

Yes it should! Fresh Pumpkin Puree is a wonderful addition to holiday cooking and baking - often worth the extra effort :)

CheeryChick

Retire Member
Aug 16, 2011
Michigan
Yes it should! Fresh Pumpkin Puree is a wonderful addition to holiday cooking and baking - often worth the extra effort :)

I'm glad you posted that! Pumpkin-in-a-can is just so ubiquitous in my area that I've never actually tried it with fresh pumpkin. I checked the ingredients on another can of pumpkin I had in the pantry, though, and the only ingredient is pumpkin, so I think if you can get hold of a fresh one, you'd be set. Just make sure to puree it really well to get rid of the stringy bits. What really makes the pumpkin bread fantastic are the wonderful spices (I always add a little more than the recipe calls for, myself).

Edited to say, for that recipe, you would need 1 pound (16 oz.) of pumpkin puree.

Last edited:

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Thanks for the response guys. Doing the groceries today so will just add Pumpkin to the list. One of the problems in being in Australia, is that sometime ingredients are not available.
Even though it is Spring here I am keen to try some of these recipes.

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com
I think the testosterone based life forms in my house are part "pack-rat" :eek:
My husband's roll top desk is in our foyer, and there is a lot of stuff STUFFED into those little drawers! Task tonight is going to empty it all into a bin and organize. Two camping chairs need to find their way up to the attic, and a costco size container of TP needs to migrate up the stairs to the linen closet!

Onto my to-do, paint front door!

CheeryChick

Retire Member
Aug 16, 2011
Michigan
So it looks like the main things I have to focus on this weekend involve shopping and cooking. I can likely get a head start on things for the following week, too.

I think I want to put more than one thing away in the freezer this weekend. I definitely want to do more freezer bags of pre-cooked ground beef. That is *so handy* to have on hand. I'm not sure what I want to target for this weekend's holiday meal, though, and that will have to be decided before I put together my shopping list. Decisions, decisions... :)

[X] Deep clean foyer (mop tile floor, wash front door, polish storm door windows and sidelights, etc.) and decorate it for fall.
[X] Vacuum entrance rug.
[X] Vacuum stairs that lead up from the foyer.
[X] Wash and polish handrail/bannisters on the stairs (Murphy's Oil Soap, orange oil).
[X] Change decor on foyer table for fall.
[X] Bake freezer-friendly pumpkin bread. http://thefrugalgirls.com/2014/11/fr...ad-recipe.html

[/] Order Christmas cards and address labels (rolled over from Week 2). -- Address labels for both Thanksgiving and Christmas are done. I ordered them from TinyPrints.com. Here's a RetailMeNot coupon code for 20% off your order and free shipping, too (worked for me today; not sure when it expires!): TPH1C15
Edit: OMG! Charlie Brown Christmas?? SO cute! https://store.usps.com/store/browse/...holiday-stamps

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Have gotten caught up on the last of my tasks from Living Room week and gotten a good start on Entry Way tasks!

Living Room
[X] Dust ceiling for cobwebs
[X] Get up on top of closet to clean? Will be decorating here!
[X] Clean large arch window/Touch up paint
[X] Clean mirror
[X] Dust
[X] Clean windows/sills
[X] Dust blinds
[X] Spot clean blinds as necessary
[X] Vacuum under cushions
[X] Move couches and sweep underneath well
[X] Decorate for fall
[ ] Vacuum/”Mop”
[X] Clean porch lights (just outside French doors in living room)

Entry
[X] Dust for cobwebs in ceiling corners
[X Wipe down/Polish inside of door
[X] Magic Eraser walls as needed
[ ] Clean spots on carpet
[ ] Put out boot trays
[ ] Vacuum rug and move to also wash tile floor (Grout Sealer?)