HGP 2016 - Week 1, Front Porch/List Week

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com
I was so super pumped to start I needed to create a thread a day early :)

My planner is in almost good working order - just need to find my three hole punch and we are good to go!

I love lists! When life feels crazy a good list will keep you focused on the tasks at hand.

• Gifts: This year I am doing the unthinkable! I am not asking the four men in my life (DH and three sons) what they 'want' for Christmas! I told them that it's a gift, and this year I will give what I think is a good gift. We will see how that works out!
  • Cards: I have been cleaning and decluttering and noticed I have a surplus of a few of each card over the years. This year the cards are mailed or repurposed to gift tags.
  • Menus: I have revisited my menus and altered several to accommodate some new dietary restrictions (mostly grains/dairy), overall not much to change.
  • Visits/Parties: These remain pretty consistent. Not hosting anyone at home this year that we are aware of yet. Will firm up once community events and services announce their schedules.
  • Goodies for Sharing/Gifts: This year I requested our work group sponsor a Christmas Hamper or bring unwrapped toys for Angel tree kids (instead of the 'gag' gift thing). I have several items to bake/prepare for home visits over Advent.
  • Freezer Meals: This is an area I really need to focus on this year. Reestablishing a working routine for dinner and simplify prep.
  • Long-Term shopping list: I have both the needed kitchen items list and the pantry list started.

My goal is to plan smart, not work harder!
And ENJOY the holidays this year.

:tree2:

Last edited:

Christmaslvr

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
Sebastian, FL
So excited to hopefully completing this plan this year! I'm going to try and not get overwhelmed!

Lolwlias

Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
Cadyville, NY
Keeping my fingers crossed that I can 100% complete this plan once & for all!!
Once my timer goes off & I can rinse off the hair color I have sitting on my head I plan to get started!!!

Reactions: Cathymac2

cmerth

Premiere Member
Dec 19, 2007
thetilteditalian.com
I just worked on my desk (I know... its a HHP thing). My desk was a mess and I needed to find the top of it.

Yesterday, I cleaned off the porch. Today I need to clean off the light fixture on front and back porch.

I misplaced my lists for this week.... I found them in the mess on my desk. I will work on those this afternoon.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
It's here! It's here! It's really started!

:gingerbread:

I made pretty good progress on the Front Porch yesterday despite the completely horrible humidity and swarms of mosquitoes - UGH!!!

My running list stands as follows:

[ ] Sweep down cobwebs
[X] Clean outside of windows - I actually did inside and outside of both front windows which means spare room windows are done and I went ahead and did the other two small windows in master bedroom so those are done too. I even dusted the blinds! lol
[ ] Clean porch lights
[ ] Clean front of door, polish, clean inside door frame, etc.
[X] Sweep porch and steps, vacuum rug
[ ] Put up fall wreath
[X] Clean up front flower beds (deadhead, etc.)
[X] Roll up hoses and put away

Holiday Prep:

[/] Gifts to Give (Continuing to work on Christmas Gift list already underway)

[ ] Christmas Card List updated

The next several items crossed off have all been done for a while now. Working on these has kept me occupied until the HGP could start! :)

[X] Parties to host Planning Documents - Just hosting one dinner party this year!

[X] Menus for all holidays, parties, etc. - May tweak a couple things but all set with plans for everything from Thanksgiving through to New Years.

[X] 2016 Baking List, including food gifts

[X] Make Ahead Meals 2016

[X] Long Term Shopping List divided into Non-Perishable and Perishable

[X] Print calendar pages for rest of year

[/] Craft

[ ] Buy extra grocery items from non-perishable part of Master Grocery List

Will try to make more progress on cleaning Front Porch today!

GrammaDeb

Premiere Member
Jan 4, 2014
Nevada
I am so excited to get started! Yesterday I examined the porches to see what needs to be done. Whew! I'm going to be busy. Mother's house is on a dirt road, so things are super dirty and cluttered. Front and back porches are actually decks which have not been touched for years. Need to replace a board on the hand rail and skirting around the front deck. Need to find a sander for the floors and railings, and then stain or paint. First step will be to clear everything off and clean the wall, window, light fixture, and door.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Too early for us to clear everything out before Fall. I will do it but at a later date. So today I'll try to do some paperwork as the HHP plan... this is why I combine the 2 plans.

In maybe 2 weeks I will work outside.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
DONE! Whew it's hot today! I hung my fall wreath on the door as though it could summon fall temps!!! :)

[X] Sweep down cobwebs
[X] Clean outside of windows - I actually did inside and outside of both front windows which means spare room windows are done and I went ahead and did the other two small windows in master bedroom so those are done too. I even dusted the blinds! lol
[X] Clean porch lights
[X] Clean front of door, polish, clean inside door frame, etc.
[X] Sweep porch and steps, vacuum rug
[X] Put up fall wreath
[X] Clean up front flower beds (deadhead, etc.)
[X] Roll up hoses and put away

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
The front porch is an easier one for me since there is nothing on it!!!

I also washed the siding down too - other than a little bit at the very top I couldn't reach from the step stool.

I'm excited because DH has started work on wrapping our porch posts - will have stone at the bottom and cedar on top (if we can swing the $) or we may just do regular wood and paint the tops white!

Lolwlias

Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
Cadyville, NY
I had quite a few spidery webs with dead insects around my outside light.
It is so nice, now, to walk up to the front door & not see those. (I don't know why I waited until now, but at least it is done.)
I began some of my lists. At some point today I may go through my notebook. I have a rather large binder with the ability to hold lots of pages. It's been neglected a time or two. Not this year!!

GrammaDeb

Premiere Member
Jan 4, 2014
Nevada
My sister and I took all the junk and furniture off our covered front deck/porch. Yesterday DH and I scrubbed everything, and I sanded almost all the railings. DH bought paint for the door and stain for the deck. I need to buy the paint for the railings and more sandpaper so I can finish the railings. Today's goal was to paint...wouldn't you know it, it's raining.

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
Our porch has been swept clean. I do however want to repaint the front door and trim but I will wait until later this month. It has been way to hot and humid to tackle that and the next couple weekends are already booked.

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com
Great job everyone!

Pulled out the deck stain and once it warms up this morning (surprising cooler temperatures the past couple mornings) I will stain the porch in sections. As the fence posts and gate are the same colour - will also touch up any needed areas there :)

A few items that I ordered earlier have arrived for Christmas and I have wrapped! I did not put the tags on yet as I will wait till I can move them from their 'hiding' spots (and I haven't made them) lol
There is a note "do not open till Christmas".

Looking forward to the next few weeks, really need to clean-up!

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
Getting a late start, but determined to make this work. I ended up helping out a friend pack, clean and more her house in a matter of days (and there was ALOT of stuff..that's an understatement) needless to say, I didn't get my papers printed. I'm entirely to exhausted to do this tonight, but it is on my agenda for tomorrow!! I'm excited!

Eaglesax

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
Middle Georgia
Porch in good shape. Keep lists electronically so good there.

Need to work on my gift closet, logging and better storage. Probably going to start wrapping them.

Skippy1707

Retire Member
Sep 5, 2016
Wales
Front porch is done and tidied....