HGP 2016 Week 10, Family Room

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com
In my little home we have one 'living room/family room/parlor' - it has our bookshelves, games and eventually will hold a tv for holiday family movies (and of course to watch hockey games)! There's been a lot of stuff pushed in there this week from the entrance and as we prepped for the Halloween spooking of the porch; time to move it out and sort through the bookshelf and the games.

Halloween is tomorrow! One thing about doing the HGP for so many years - it takes me about 30 minutes to set-up my Halloween decor outside and about the same to take it down and pack it into their boxes - ready to be sent up to the attic on November 1! Neighbors reactions to our decorations make me smile, it reminds me a bit of "Christmas with the Kranks" and the Frosty; it is just expected I think now that a big hairy spider will appear over our step - and its Halloween.

I have one loaf of pumpkin in the oven still baking and a dozen muffins cooling. I still need to whip up some caramel for the apples but think I may wait till morning. I have finished all our treat bags and carved the pumpkin, pumpkin seeds are roasted, spider dip is in fridge, bat wings and werewolf ribs are cooked and sauced - just need to re-heat tomorrow. Will cut up the veggies and the baguette in the afternoon.

Did remember this evening that I forgot the bottle of cider as I was prepping the spices - will pick it up after getting one son off to school and another to his social recreation program. I also added to my list large ziplock storage bags for holiday decor packing into bins.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Still trying to climb out from under the mountain of laundry that always seems to follow a camping trip! Got the camper completely emptied last night and things are mostly under control now.

We do not have a Family Room as our downstairs is still not finished, so this week is going to be a Catch Up week on the HGP for me!

My focus is on a handful of tasks left over from previous weeks including some things in the kitchen. Then since I skipped last week's Pantry and Closets assignment I'll work on that this week as well.

On Holiday Prep tasks I am scheduled to do several batches of cookie dough for the freezer this weekend. I've got all my freezer meals done and start using them as of tonight! I need to look more at gift purchases and I really need to start wrapping!

I am continuing to try and work on crafted gifts each day but haven't since before our camping trip.

Polishing the sliver is on my HGP list for Dining Room week since that is where I display it.

I'll probably take down Halloween and put up Thanksgiving items tonight :)

And clearing the front coat closet out was on my list for Closets week anyway! So perfect timing!

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Trying to do the HGP this week has been like catching water in a sieve!!! UGH!

I am STILL trying to get through the laundry from our trip, it's crazy! Not only all the clothes, but blankets and towels, etc. Last night I got the last of items out of the camper storage box (marshmallow forks, tablecloths, etc.) Did dishes, vacuumed, worked on laundry, straightened up the floor in the pantry, got us ready for the next day (prepped coffee maker), did homework with DS, took a bunch of items from camping or Halloween upstairs, took out the trash and recycling - AND got rid of the jack o'lanterns! Warm weather was drawing gnats like crazy! - not much mojo left for anything else.

Did get the kitchen island cleaned off! DH even got rid of most of what I call his "perma-pile" in one corner! lol

Grocery shopping today! Maybe I'll be able to spend some time on HGP tasks tonight!

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
I managed to get the majority of Halloween decor down and Thanksgiving decor up last night. Missed a few things and will put them away today.

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com
I love that expression, "catching water in a sieve"! Very descriptive :)

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com
Halloween was very quiet here, less than 30 trick or treaters! Used the large zip-lock bags to sort the items before putting into their rubbermaid bin. During 'attic week' I will find the extra spiders I was sure we had but could not find on Halloween! Lots of sorting and getting rid of surplus decor I think.

Worked on fall clean-up of the vegetable and herb gardens today, ordered Ugly Christmas sweaters, novelty socks and monogrammed bath robes (holiday gifts).

Looking through the closet, no coats to donate this year but there are several needed items - such as ski pants and scarves for the boys; adding to my expanding 'shopping for winter list'.