HGP 2016 - Week 2, Living Room/Question Week

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Isn't it fun when the house is guest-ready? you are doing wonderfully Skippy1707

CheeryChick

Retire Member
Aug 16, 2011
Michigan
Hello, everyone!

I am back and ready to get the HGP going for this year. I fell somewhat off the wagon in posting last year, as I was both working to prep for the holidays AND finish my master's thesis at the same time. This year I am finished with grad school and not taking any new classes, so I am looking forward to more time spent just on holiday preparedness!

We went camping over the Labor Day weekend and then school started (I'm a teacher), so I'm going to work on Week 1 and Week 2 chores this weekend and see if I can get caught up to speed. Here's my list for week 1:

[ ] Wash the outside of foyer windows.
[ ] Trim hedges, weed garden, etc. (near porch)
[ X ] Put away porch and patio items no longer needed for fall.
[ X ] Clean and organize barn for fall/winter. This is partially done, but I want to get metal trash cans to store the chicken food in as we had a mouse issue last winter out in the barn.
[ ] Trim bushes and trees.
[ ] Feed pine trees.
[ ] Begin fall garden cleanup.
[ X ] Put away pool.
[ ] Decorate porch for fall (mums, cornstalks, autumn wreath).
[ ] Tidy freezer to make room for freezer meals.

We are having a smaller Thanksgiving this year as my brother and his family moved to Florida for work, and this is also the year that we have it on Saturday rather than the traditional Thursday so that other family members can spend time with their spouses' families. We decided a few years ago that it was more important to just be together at some point rather than to celebrate on the actual holiday.

Here's Week 2:

[ ] Wash the outside of living room windows.
[ ] Update seasonal decor in the living room.
[ ] Dust.
[ ] Vacuum.
[ ] Steam clean the carpet.
[ ] Remove clutter.
[ ] Make one extra meal for the freezer labeled Holiday Meal.
[ ] Order Christmas cards and address labels. **I believe I am all set on this this year, but I need to check my stash.

Sidenote: Does anyone watch OrganizedJen on YouTube? I love playing her holiday prep videos when I'm working on the HGP. She just puts me in the spirit!

Skippy1707

Retire Member
Sep 5, 2016
Wales
Thanks luludou - I am trying my best to keep the downstairs in order...... I am planning to skip ahead - I locked my two little terriers in the kitchen earlier to make sure my living room stayed today (my bitch is in heat and my male is very aware of it and scent marking the place!) so I figured the kitchen/bathroom was the best dog friendly area.....needless to say I will be putting the dog crate back up once I have tidied the kitchen to contain my male and my bitch can stay in the room with him to keep him calm........I will keep this house tidy if it kills me!

Bathroom/porches/stairs are both still immaculate and kids are currently in the living room but under strict instruction to keep it clean. I have also stripped one sofa and the cushion covers are on the line drying, I will strip the other sofa tonight and put them in too and out to dry tomorrow

Kitchen cleaning starts tomorrow.

Cheerychick - OrganizedJen - I have never heard of it but I will have a look now. x

Skippy1707

Retire Member
Sep 5, 2016
Wales
Ooooh cheerychick what have you done!?!?!?!?!

I have just spent 2 hours watching videos on how better to organise my pantry and I like it very much so I see lots of tupperware buying in the near future! I always wondered too how Americans had tins laying down in their cupboards! Now I know!

Also note to self - never underestimate how hard it is to get 8 foam pillow sofa cushions back into covers once they have been left overnight - they do de-compact themselves and fluff up again. Hard work when you have two children "helping" and I have another 6 to do on the other sofa tomorrow but it looks so much better!

Will post a picture tomorrow x

CheeryChick

Retire Member
Aug 16, 2011
Michigan
Well, the weather is not cooperating with doing anything outdoors today (it's raining!), so on to Week 2 it is. The plus side is that it has cooled down substantially, and it's finally starting to feel like early fall.

[ ] Wash the outside of living room windows. **Not happening today due to rain, but the inside has been cleaned. I'll do the outside tomorrow.
[ ] Update seasonal decor in the living room.
[X] Dust.
[X] Vacuum.
[X] Steam clean the carpet.
[X] Remove clutter.
[ ] Make one extra meal for the freezer labeled Holiday Meal.
[X] Order Christmas cards and address labels. **I'm set on these, but I need holiday stamps. I love wild birds, so I'm *really* excited about these: https://store.usps.com/store/browse...&categoryId=holiday-stamps&productId=S_681104

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com
Week 2 is complete! Lots of wonderful things checked off and holiday prep has begun. Very much looking forward to cooler temps here.