HGp 2017 - Entryway/Foyer Week

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Welcome to Week Three of the Holiday Grand Plan: Entry/Foyer Week!

This week, we tackle deep-cleaning and decluttering our entryway or foyer, to create a welcoming entrance to the home for holiday guests.

Holiday prep chores focus on baking and kitchen as we plan our baked goodies and start stocking up for holiday meals. More printable forms help our Holiday Grand Plan notebooks grow.

Ready? Let's get organized with Entry/Foyer Week at the Holiday Grand Plan!

http://holidaygrandplan.com/holiday-grand-plan/03-entry-foyer-week

HOLIDAY PREP:
  • Make one batch of Holiday Goodies.
  • Make one extra meal for freezer again labeled HOLIDAY MEAL.
  • Buy two canned food items from Menus (get 2 of each item, one to use and one to donate to food drive).
  • Keep 2 boxes in a pantry area or storage place to put these in so that they are not used in everyday cooking - make sure to label them so that when food drives start your holiday supply stays intact and the food drive gets the food purchased for it.
  • Buy all supplies for homemade gifts. Package each project with directions and other information in zipper food storage bag and place in a basket or box in craft/sewing area.
  • Buy film, camera batteries, blank videotapes. Hide them; write yourself a note.

Reactions: Minta

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
This week I will focus on both the Entryway and the Downstairs Bathroom plus finish up a few things leftover from last week's list!

Entryway Cleaning Tasks:

[ ] Dust for cobwebs in ceiling corners
[ ] Dust light fixture
[ ] Wipe down/polish inside of door, clean glass
[ ] Touch up paint
[ ] Clean light switches, vent covers
[ ] Empty bench, assign homes as needed
[ ] Wipe down outside of bench, trim on red bench
[ ] Move carpet rug back upstairs
[ ] Clean carpet rug
[ ] Put out boot trays

Downstairs Bathroom Cleaning Tasks:

[ ] Dust ceiling for cobwebs
[ ] Spot clean walls as needed
[ ] Windex mirror
[ ] Clean sink and toilet
[ ] Vacuum floor
[ ] Hang decorative items

Leftover tasks from Living Room Week:

[ ] Arrange books so ends are even with edge of shelf
[ ] Clean glass in antique cabinet
[ ] Oil antique cabinet wood
[ ] Clean light switches
[ ] Touch up paint on outside of French doors that got scratched

Holiday Prep Tasks:

[N/A] Make one batch Holiday Goodies - Not quite ready to jump into this yet - will probably do my first round of cookies for freezer in a couple of weeks!
[ ] Make one extra freezer meal - Not sure if I'll tackle this later this week or not, brainstorming!
[ ] Buy canned food items from Master Holiday Grocery list/Extra for food drives
[ ] Put box in pantry for food drive
[ ] Buy all supplies for homemade gifts - Will review my list, shouldn't have a lot left to purchase but need to get it done!
[N/A ] Buy film/camera batteries - N/A for us since we use our smart phones

jollykelly

Premiere Member
Feb 22, 2015
Lehigh Valley, Pa
Hello Ladies......I am just dipping my toes into the HGP pool and following HHP, but here are my tasks for HGP this week. Thank you for inspiring me.

Entry /Foyer - We come in the back door and enter through what we call a mud room, so this is the space I am using for entry/foyer space.
  • new storm door - done. I knew this was coming, and also knew we were in dire need of a new one. Last week we ordered one, it came in 3 days and DH already installed. He accidently cut the wiring for the doorbell, so I do have to get a new one, but the door is up, and it is lovely. Changed the whole look!
  • get a new doorbell -
  • organize shoes - done. All of our shoes get taken off in the mud room, problem is, that is where they tend to stay. I made my DD find a home for the endless pairs of flip flops that have been in there, and questioned my DH if he really need 4 pairs of old sneakers. Of course, he said yes. (For when I mow, when I paint, when I...when I... lol) I threw out the worst pair, I do not think he will even notice.
  • organize baseball hats - done. Again a DH problem. I am not sure why this man has so many hats and where they all come from. I only see him where the same 2. We have a rack in the mud room that he hangs them from, and I kid you not, each peg has 4 or 5 hats on them. He did get rid of a few, I will take that as progress.
  • make a new coat hook rack thingy - clearly not the technical term, but I am not sure what you call it. Right now we have one, but it looks like the American Flag, with country stars, etc. It went with the décor when I was into primitive, but my tastes have changed. I would like DH to make a new simple one, with a piece of the old barn wood from our barn and some simple wrought iron hooks. Should be easy enough...should be.
  • clean boot tray

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com
It's week three! We are having a great week here - very warm days and cool nights. Just perfect beginning to fall.

The main entrance to our home is currently rarely used, as the porch leading off to it is under construction - new stairs coming soon! This area however does start to clutter easily and needed a good sorting (done). Need to fix a crack in one panel of our wood door, and will paint and add new hardware - including house number.

Purchased two new memory cards for camera, and new batteries.

The Kitchen entrance is the family dropping zone - and will benefit from some extra storage; have added a bench to my hubby-to-do list.

One thing I find about the change in seasons, is an increase in migraines :( - those freezer meals really do help on those nights too!

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
In our foyer is a large armoire cabinet which houses our school/paper supplies, printer and can function as a charging station for the hand held devices. It also seems to be the collection point for school papers, mail and other odds and ends. I started cleaning it and purged about half of what shouldn't be there and I am hoping to finish that tonight. I may place a catch all basket for the all those odds and ends and clean it out weekly.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I have a very small entry way as my front door opens into a very long hallway that runs the length of the house.
I need to wash the front door and screen door, clean the sidelight and all the walls.
i have a small cupboard that houses all my candles that will need sorting and a few art pieces on the walls that will need dusting. An easy area for me.

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
My entry has a closet. It is pretty organized but could use a quick go through and it should be okay. I will be painting the area on Sat. with DH. I am trying to get the trim done first. Oh maybe I should paint the inside of that closet. will empty it and then paint it. I can get that done before Sat.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
I have done NOTHING on my list. I have been feeling under the weather a bit, but probably just tired out from our big party this past weekend. I've gone to bed at 9PM or earlier the last 3 nights!

I did make a trip to Hobby Lobby and got several things - a new Christmas stocking for Tango that I will embroider with his name, fall garland and lights for the last undecorated spot in the hallway and both felt and tulle for Halloween costume projects.

I put up the garland and lights in the hallway and it looks tons better in that corner - it was so dark before!

Hoping to get my mojo in gear tonight!

Skippy1707

Retire Member
Sep 5, 2016
Wales
Completely forgot that the grand plan had even started. So disorganised the last few weeks with expecting pup home and getting the kids to school again and work. So here is my catch up posting!

WEEK 1 - FRONT PORCH AND LIST WEEK
We dont really have a front porch as our door opens onto a very small hallway with the stairs and the door to the living room. Last week I -
  • tidied the front yard and made a pile of rubbish to skip and one to recycle
  • cleaned the front door
  • swept the entire front yard
  • cleaned up husbands tools
  • sorted the recycling bins and boxes into a neat order

Made the following lists:
  • Gifts to be given - I have written names and a few ideas down and marked off what I already have brought - quite surprised I only have a few bits to buy for family and then have husband and the kids to focus on.
  • Christmas card list- still waiting on this as I am now in 2 Christmas card exchanges!
  • Visits to make - have a few ideas ready
  • Menus for Christmas
  • Freezer Stock - we live on a mountain and theres no access by public transport if the weather is really bad and it was so bad the year before last we couldn't even drive up the hills
  • Cupboard Stock - see above
  • Winter Prep - getting blankets on sofas , candles etc ready
  • Christmas Food Shop
  • Favourite Meals of Family members for freezing ahead.

WEEK 2 - LIVING ROOM AND QUESTION WEEK
Again whilst the kids were home I took some time to tidy the living room so it had a blitz a few weeks back and I have kept on top of it since but I do have a few things to finish

1. Polish the shelving
  2. Clean out Rhodri the Bearded Dragon onto paper.
  3. Pick up general bits and pieces
  4. Sweep under Sofas
  5. Get a meter reading for the gas company
Questions
  • Do I see Christmas time primarily as a time for entertaining friends and renewing long lost acquaintances or as a time for family? Definitely a time for family.
  • How much emphasis do our Christmas activities place on the spiritual side of Christmas? Not many in our house but we do focus on giving to those less fortune and will be donating to our local food bank
  • How involved is my family in the Christmas preparation? The kids like the decorating and activities but my husband isnt too involved with the christmas prep - even the gift buying - but we do take time out in December to go and spend a night away and do some Christmas shopping then where he tends to get most of his done
  • What activities are particularly important to our family at Christmas? To myself? Spending time together is my main focus.
  • What would my ideal Christmas be like? A happy and content family spending time together enjoying each others company

WEEK 3 ENTRY/FOYER
Main jobs this weeks are
  • Clear the stairs
  • Sweep the stairs
  • Clean the windowsill in the middle of the stairs
  • Move the shopping bags to a new home
  • Febreeze carpets

phew sorry for the long thread but I think I am caught up now!

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Welcome, Skippy! Looks like you are on track to catch up just fine!!! As I tell myself repeatedly every year on the HGP, something is better than nothing!!! Even if I don't do every single thing on my lists I am way ahead of where I would be if I never tried!

Reactions: Skippy1707

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
Got the woodwork and windows painted in the living room. I have another coat to do on the front door. That will be tomorrow's project along with cleaning the entry closet. I looked inside the closet today and it doesn't need painting. IMO. I am thinking I am glad I went with the lighter wall color as this room's lighting is minimal.

Reactions: Skippy1707

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Finally got some work done last night! Not feeling so bad now!

Entryway Cleaning Tasks:

[X] Dust for cobwebs in ceiling corners
[X] Dust light fixture
[X] Wipe down/polish inside of door, clean glass
[X] Touch up paint
[X] Clean light switches, vent covers
[X] Empty bench, assign homes as needed
[X] Wipe down outside of bench, trim on red bench
[X] Move carpet rug back upstairs
[X] Clean carpet rug
[X] Put out boot trays

Downstairs Bathroom Cleaning Tasks:

[ ] Dust ceiling for cobwebs
[ ] Spot clean walls as needed
[ ] Windex mirror
[ ] Clean sink and toilet
[ ] Vacuum floor
[ ] Hang decorative items- Tried to get at least THIS task done and discovered that most of the decor I thought I had was missing. Not sure if I really found it again after the fire/cleaners/moving back in or not. SO I think I am going to just plan on new decor for this room!!! Darn!

Leftover tasks from Living Room Week:

[ ] Arrange books so ends are even with edge of shelf
[X] Clean glass in antique cabinet
[X] Oil antique cabinet wood
[ ] Clean light switches
[ ] Touch up paint on outside of French doors that got scratched

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
I got the two doors painted today. I need to see if I can find new heat registers for LR, if I can't will have to paint the ones I have.