HGP 2017 - Family Room Week

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Moving into the heart of the household, it's Week Ten at the Holiday Grand Plan: Family Room Week!

The family room is the heart of the home, and never more so than during the holiday season. We'll clean and organize this central area of family life as we begin to think ahead to holiday visitors.

In holiday prep, we'll celebrate Halloween, then recycle autumn decorations to look forward to Thanksgiving. Keep working on those gifts!

Ready? Let's get organized with the Holiday Grand Plan!

http://holidaygrandplan.com/holiday-grand-plan/10-family-room-week

HOLIDAY PREP
  • Make one batch of Holiday Goodies.
  • Make one extra meal for freezer again labeled HOLIDAY MEAL.
  • Buy two canned food items from menus (get 2 of each item, one to use and one to donate to food drive).
  • Buy 1/8th of TO BUY gifts. Save all receipts, note return policy before buying. Ask for gift boxes.
  • Wrap and label packages. If needing to ship, get some shipping boxes now and store packages in them.
  • Work at least 1 hour a day on homemade gifts.
  • Polish silver; clean glassware (baking soda & water). Put candleholders in freezer to help remove wax. Alcohol removes stains from candles.
  • Take down Halloween decorations. Put up Thanksgiving ones.
  • DO NOT shampoo carpet - partying people spill things.
  • Clean/clear library/front hall closet so there will be room for guests' coats. Give unwanted coats to charity. Store other stuff in attic in empty luggage.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Halloween will be packed up and put back in the attic next weekend... and some Christmas boxes will come down at the same time :) :) :)

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
I am all over the place this year on the HGP! Since our downstairs is STILL not finished I don't have a Family Room to tackle.

This week will be a mish mash of undone things from previous weeks. I did manage to do a few more drawers/cupboards in the kitchen and I made a good start on the pantry.

HGP Mish Mash Task List:

[ ] Clean kitchen sink/drains
[ ] Clean dish drainer
[ ] Clean wall area around dog bowls as needed
[ ] Continue working on pantry, get rid of expired items, reorganize/reallocate items as needed
[ ] Living Room Closet
[ ] Master Bedroom Closet
[ ] Spare Bedroom Closet

Holiday Tasks:

[ ] Finish Christmas Cards - Only 5 left so this should be easy!
[ ] Make one item for the freezer - Scheduled to make Bacon Pinwheels tomorrow night!
[ ] Buy 1/8th Gifts - Will order XBox for DS one day this week! Also think I will get Guardians of the Galaxy DVDs for DH - both of them. Working on other ideas!
[ ] Gift Wrapping - I don't see how I can squeeze this in this week unfortunately. Getting ready for DIY Wine Trail with girlfriends on Sunday. One is staying the night Saturday night so I need to get guest room ready too. AND I'm driving so I need to detail the inside of my car.
[ ] Take down Halloween decor/Put up Thanksgiving
[ ] Crafting on Christmas Gifts!!!

Honestly I don't know how much of this list I am going to get done this week. I was running low grade fever yesterday afternoon/evening - I think I was just plain worn out from camping trip. I pushed myself hard to empty the whole thing (DH helped) and put it all away on Sunday. Still have a LOT of laundry to do. Sheets need to be changed, floors vacuumed, etc. Kitchen is a wreck!

I'm just going to do what I can do and leave it at that - until NEXT week! :)

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
AJ Rest first then tackle that list. When we get overtired we just run in circles. Once you are focused you will have that list checked off and ask what;s next and good ole HHP will be ready with an answer. I spent the last month redecorating and wondered if I would get it done. I am down to putting in new shelf liner and washing windows and a mirror that needs fixing.

Last edited:

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Thanks, Jody! You are so right!

Between running home at lunch and working on things after work yesterday the house is back in somewhat decent shape. Dishes done, trash taken out, cooler and other misc. camping items put away, sheets changed on our bed and some more laundry done as well.

Still need to wash the HUGE cast iron pot but will see if DH will do that for me :)

Did a little bit of work in pantry, threw out expired things, straightened some but still more to do.

Time flies on weeknight evenings between dinner, homework, feeding dogs, etc.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
No progress on cleaning tasks, other than I can report that DH washed the big cast iron pot and reseasoned it. lol

I did get 2 appetizers in the freezer though!

And I got Halloween down and Thanksgiving items put up. Have a few things left to take upstairs and put away but will do that today.

Was thinking about crafting after I sat down for the night but ended up just watching Stranger Things 2 instead. I'm weak...

Last edited:

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Got Master Bedroom Closet under control last night - it wasn't in too bad of shape since there are no doors and I am forced to keep it looking presentable. :p

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
One more cupboard to line with shelf liner and kitchen is done. Will take about 15 minutes to do. The bathroom mirror is still being pondered. A phone call to a glass company is the next step. Will need to make a trip to Hobby Lobby and JoAnn's too.

ttyl

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
No family room so I am going to retouch up the bath rooms and hopefully finish the master bedroom since that is always a work in progress LOL