HGP - New Years Week 2018

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
It's New Year's week at the Holiday Grand Plan. We'll record Christmas memories, prepare for New Year's celebrations, and begin to look ahead to a new start in the new year.

POST-HOLIDAY WRAP-UP
After the holiday, the Holiday Grand Plan sees us into an organized New Year. Putting home and holiday to bed for the winter wraps up the holiday celebration, and energizes us for the challenges of a new year.

http://holidaygrandplan.com/holiday-grand-plan/18-new-years-week

Reactions: Minta

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Helllllllooooooooo....can you believe we've arrived at the last week of the HGP 2018???? Unreal!!!!
  • Plan/Gather items for New Years

• Glow sticks (camping box?)

• Fireworks/Sparklers (some in spare room)

• New Years hat/noisemakers box (Upstairs?)

• Ask DH and DS what special food they want for New Years Eve

• Plan on a special movie to watch that night???
  • Write Thank You notes/cards
  • Start taking down decor (winter theme will remain, put out my snowmen, etc.)

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
We have been invited to our neighbors for NYE so I will bring a side dish and a dessert.

This weekend we will start taking down the christmas decorations and put up the witer/snowman decorations. I like to have the house clean by the time I go back to work on Jan 2nd.

Reactions: AuntJamelle

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
This is the first year that I have completed this plan. Thanks AJ for keeping us on track.

This week is actually a busy one for me. I am trying to get Christmas put away before I go back to work on January 2nd. At the same time I am also trying to cull and sort. There were a few things that I have not used over the past few years so I would like to decide whether or not to keep or donate. Would rather do it now than at Christmas next year.

I need to check with our local Chinese restaurant if they are open on NYE. I need to purchase drinks and pull out the sparklers and noise makers.
Need to sit with my planner at some stage and make notes about this year before I forget the details.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Good luck with your de-decorating plans Minta - I have the same thing on my mind!!!

I bet the Chinese place will be open, Katrina! Ours was even open on Christmas Day (ask me how I know...:oops:)

If nothing else though - get everything the day before and stick in the fridge. Just get the rice into ziplock bags - or plan to make instant rice - or plan to make your own fried rice since that is better made with day old rice anyway! lol

If you order anything that is fried - like rangoons - those crisp back up again on a cookie sheet put in the oven.

But I bet you will be good to go - it's nice to have options though!

I still don't know if we are going down to family or if we will be home on our own - hoping to confirm one way or the other tomorrow!

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Prepping to host for both families on the 31st, need to make beds in bedrooms downstairs and wash bathrooms, dust and vaccum. Did some groceries tonight but still need a few things more nearer to the date.
On the 29th we have a party and I will be bringing a cheeseball and crackers. On the 1st will be going to dh's uncle's house and then suppr with mil. will dedecorate on the 2nd and start cleaning up.

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
Got all the clothes out from under the tree and got them into the washer. Broke down the gift boxes, placed the ones that are still reusable back in the tote and threw out the damaged ones. DH got me a lot of new small kicthen appliances - some to repalce the ones we had to throw out from the infestation and a couple that I had been wanting. SInce I refuse to store anything else in the garage I had to take a long hard look at what is in my kitchen cabinets and tossed a few things that I no longer use.I also rearranged a couple cabinets and I was able to neatly put away everything. DH put all the new DVDs away. hoping to clear out the rest of te stuff under the tree by tommorrow morning.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Not sure if I am going to get everything done of my list before going back to work. Looks like the tree maybe up for another week. So be it.

cmerth

Premiere Member
Dec 19, 2007
thetilteditalian.com
I took down my Christmas decorations. I still have one more box to finish re-storing.

This is the first year in a long time that I have completed this from start to finish. Normally I get sick or worn out... but this year... I did it ALL!!!

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
Not sure if I am going to get everything done of my list before going back to work. Looks like the tree maybe up for another week. So be it.
That's okay, it is better to have it in the condition you want it in when you pull it out December.

Reactions: sweetpumkinpye

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
You know...technically the Christmas season goes all the way to Feb 2nd (Candlemas) :) Not that I'm suggesting leaving up Christmas tree that long - lol!!!

Our decor that is specifically Christmas is down and put away. I left the greenery above the ktichen cabinets and a few other places with the white lights. The snowmen came out to play - pinecone themed items, etc.

I snagged a snowy evergreen wreath with pinecones for the front door from JoAnn's at 70% off - $50 wreath was $15 instead - still more than I typically would pay but I REALLY wanted a wreath up instead of a bare door!

Reactions: housewife2

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
That's okay, it is better to have it in the condition you want it in when you pull it out December.
Absolutely, I am in no rush this year and would much rather take the time now while I have it and lessen the stress around Christmas time. Something I am going to be aware of this year is to try and minimise stress if possible.