HHP 2016 RECAP

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

happy2bme

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
My Happy Place
Can you believe that Christmas Day was only two weeks ago?

How was your holiday? Did the HHP plan make it better?

What worked and what didn't?

Reactions: Minta

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
I followed a mix of plans and I must say I was ready - except for last minute things I bought dd and had to wrap. My fridge is still full and mostly the house is clean.

One thing I want to think of is if I'm sick or if I have to skip a few weeks for whatever reason... how can I do it? I think one part of the answer is to continue decluttering all year long... the less I have, the less I'll have to clean.

For the beginning of the year I want to go through each room and write down how I want the room to look and what needs to go out of the room and what needs to be brought in.

tanya

Premiere Member
Jan 8, 2012
Im really glad that I used the HHP this year. I did tweak it a bit for our home and to account for Luke's early finish from school. I moved his room week around to a week early in the plan when he was home on school term break- Its easier to declutter his room fully if he is there and we do it together in short bursts.
I was pretty ruthless this year- if we had not used it since the last clean out- out it went!
I also moved the kitchen forward a couple of weeks. On the actual kitchen week of the plan I was able to focus more on Christmas prep rather than organising the house.

The weather was more cooperative this year than last. I was able to put away my winter things early in the plan- made it much easier being able to do a change out of clothes- last year especially we had cooler weather for longer- so winter items were still hanging around in spring/ early summer. We also had a mild winter this year which made me more interested in organising the house. Although our winter is tame by your standards- I don't handle cold well! I just want to stay home, eat chocolate and watch tv/ movies.

This year I have decided that I want a master house book- nothing fancy! Just a school exercise book covered in pretty paper. Im going to use it to jot down any ideas I have, make notes and write a list of any random things I need to get- eg: I know that my Christmas totes are getting old and they will need replacing sooner rather than later. So im going to write it in my new book to replace them when I see them on sale during the year. Same for linens etc...
I have a wonderful handy- man who does the odd jobs that come up from time to time- urgent stuff he does as needed but other things can wait til I have a list. The list will go into this book so when I book him I don't have to remember what I need- I always manage to remember some small thing just as he has finished.

Shopping ahead and wrapping early was fantastic. I was more focused on early wrapping this year. Having the paper, ribbon etc ahead of time really worked for me.

I did spend the time this year to actually sit, think and plan Christmas- I found that the 30 minutes or so I put into thinking time really translated to good value.

Probably most importantly for me was our weekly threads on the plan. It kept me centred and motivated. I loved reading about what everyone else was doing, planning etc. It gave me some good ideas. And if the week did not go exactly to plan helped me get back on track rather than just shrug my shoulders and hope for the best.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
Christmas went well with help from HHP and being accountable here. :D I think keeping track of what works and doesn't work each year, helps me with getting better organized over time. Writing it out here also helps me process what is happening with HHP and life in general.

The last few years I was dragging my feet on the Christmas cards. This year I was much better with it. I ordered the cards online as well as the Christmas stamps as soon as they became available. I have extra to get me started for next year.

When the children were little, I could buy the gifts way ahead and wrap after they went to bed. Not so with teens. I bought a lot more things shortly before Thanksgiving and wrapped them any free hour that I had alone.

I need to set a clothes budget within the Christmas gift budget so we have enough money for other fun gifts.

I'm also going to purchase the teacher/service gifts earlier than I have been. In the past, the gifts have been food items with long shelf life. I'd like to set up a goal of having them wrapped before Thanksgiving.

The stocking stuffers (chapstick, make up, pocket size Kleenex boxes, etc) were items that were bought in September. A few items that I wanted such as hand warmers were available later. I was able to wrap the stocking stuffers within a reasonable time after purchasing them. That was very helpful.

Stocking up on household items (paper towels, napkins, Kleenex, dish soap, etc) and cold/flu medicine in August and September was very helpful leading up to Thanksgiving and Christmas. We had a three weeks of sickness going on here and I had to make a few extra replenishment runs. I was just glad I had the extras to begin with and it kept me going while everyone was sick.

Keeping notes from year to year is very helpful. I'm surprised how easily I forget. :eek:

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
One thing I want to think of is if I'm sick or if I have to skip a few weeks for whatever reason... how can I do it? I think one part of the answer is to continue decluttering all year long... the less I have, the less I'll have to clean.

I'm working on that this year too!

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
The weather was more cooperative this year than last. I was able to put away my winter things early in the plan- made it much easier being able to do a change out of clothes- last year especially we had cooler weather for longer- so winter items were still hanging around in spring/ early summer. We also had a mild winter this year which made me more interested in organising the house. Although our winter is tame by your standards- I don't handle cold well! I just want to stay home, eat chocolate and watch tv/ movies.

Tanya,
Your posts are always interesting to me. It gives me a different perspective of life at Christmas.

Probably most importantly for me was our weekly threads on the plan. It kept me centred and motivated. I loved reading about what everyone else was doing, planning etc. It gave me some good ideas. And if the week did not go exactly to plan helped me get back on track rather than just shrug my shoulders and hope for the best.

Yes, I think this is important for me in getting things done too.

jollykelly

Premiere Member
Feb 22, 2015
Lehigh Valley, Pa
Did the HHP plan make it better? ABSOLUTELY!!! I loved the weekly threads, the great advise and seeing what everyone's plan was for the week, it made me have a few AHA moments that I either would have forgotten or was never even on my radar. The house seemed more organized, peaceful, and we were able to spend close family time together in December instead of being out running around.

The things that did not work for me was no fault of the plan, or really my own. I certainly did not plan on having an appendicitis and needing emergency surgery, in the hospital for three days, etc. At least I know, with 100% certainty, that I will not ever have that problem again! You ladies were invaluable though in switching up my priorities and giving me great ideas to get back on track.

Next year, I want to stock up my pantry more, especially with baking supplies. I liked the freezer meals I prepared, my family not so much. Perhaps I want to make less, like have 2 per week, and then cook as usual the rest of the days. It really didn't save me much time when they didn't like it and then I had to quick throw something together for them anyway.

All in all, considering everything, I still think this was one of the more successful years! Now, can we have a HHP for vacation? LOL

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
Now, can we have a HHP for vacation? LOL

Exactly! I like how the plan is divided into the household work and the Holiday prep. I'm trying to apply the same idea to a graduation and an anniversary in the spring - household work and Party Prep each week. You could probably do the same thing with vacation - household list and vacation prep. list.

ejagno

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Aug 31, 2010
SW Louisiana
Can you believe that Christmas Day was only two weeks ago?

How was your holiday? Did the HHP plan make it better?

What worked and what didn't?

My greatest and most treasured accomplishments for Christmas 2016 was having completed all of my Christmas shopping by the end of June and the holiday sleepover with my grandchildren Thanksgiving weekend. This alone was such a tremendous burden lifted from my soul during the holidays. I will do everything I can to make it happen every year just to experience the great sense of relief so that I can relax and enjoy the holidays. I couldn't think of a better way to kick off the holidays than having all 4 of the grandkids that first weekend.

Change is good! Traditionally we have always had gumbo on Christmas eve but this year it was downright hot so we changed things up and everyone enjoyed Prime Rib instead.

The one thing I vow to change for next year is having my decorating plans done well in advance of taking out all the decorations. Hopefully in the next week I'll be purging literally several hundred ornaments and keeping only those that I dearly love. It's just tooooooo much. I had so much because we use to host a huge Christmas event for an organization as well as decorating a 2 story restaurant. Now it's just my home and I know what colors I like and want in my home so the rest needs to go.

HHP is not just something I glance at beginning in August. It's my go to source for everything Christmas throughout the year or when I need that motivational push to have the wonderful holiday home that I'm proud to invite guests into.