Holiday Inventory and "The North Pole"...

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Thought I'd share what I've been up to! :)

When we moved in I tried to put as much of the boxes of holiday decorations up in the finished attic storage room as possible. Over the last couple of weeks I have been finding any misc. boxes or totes that ended up in basement and getting them upstairs too.

I've now gone through every single box, pitched the trash or broken items and created an inventory in Excel of what is left. Every box has been labeled with an index card listing items inside. I've got like things with like, lights together, stockings together, etc.

I've got all the Christmas grouped and all the Autumn/Halloween/Thanksgiving boxes together along another wall - all in the larger of the two storage rooms in our finished "attic" level.

I have officially decided that this room is going to be called "The North Pole" :) Ta dah!!!

I did not go through each and every ornament tote and have plans to do that over the summer, organizing ornaments into separate totes by color or theme.

I also have a large bag of "leftover" wired ribbon from wrapping gifts the last two years at the apartment that need to be smoothed and wrapped around empty paper towel tubes or gift wrap tubes to save them nicely.

But I am feeling pretty good about my inventory. Now I can plan/budget for things I still need - probably only lights? - and plan how to use everything in the new house.

It is ironic that because of where they were stored, the majority of our holiday items made it through the fire. I'm grateful! Especially when I look come across one of our special ornaments!

I have plans to setup a little Christmas nook in the extra space of "The North Pole" room. It's a fairly large room, if it were a bedroom it would be considered generous in side. Wood floors and light blue walls.

It would be really nice to have a comfy chair, small table for books or laptop, etc. I could hang up strings of lights and/or have a little floor lamp to make it look cozy. The trouble with getting it all cozy and cute would be ever coming out again!

How does everyone feel about their holiday storage? Tips or tricks to share?

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
AJ - lucky you to have such space in your attic... love the North Pole!!

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
AJ, lucky you!!

I have totes that are numbered and a list of what is in each numbered tote. They live in the attic and come down the week before Thanksgiving. I need to go through and get rid of what I will never use.

Sugarplum

MHH Member
Jan 4, 2013
Florida
AJ-Loved reading about your storage! So glad your holiday items were spared from the fire.

We just store our stuff in a storage unit. I inventoried everything this past Christmas when I put it all away.

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
Love it! My stuff is in totes in the garage but since we will be moving i'll go through everything again at some point either before the move or when we are unpacking at our new base. I need to do the labeling thing. I have some very large totes but those usually just get crammed with random stuff towards the end of undecorating so I may need to get smaller totes to better organize.

DahliaDoll

Premiere Member
Oct 15, 2007
Greetings!

Your storage organization is amazing! I think a cozy chair at "The North Pole" would be just the ticket! Go for it!

Our holiday storage is in the loft in the garage. This year, we went from cardboard boxes to clear plastic storage boxes. It's great to be able to see inside each box, especially since I don't have an organized inventory.

Doodlebug

MHH Member
Jan 11, 2010
Oklahoma
Wow!! Lucky you to have such an awesome place! The North Pole sounds adorable!

jollykelly

Premiere Member
Feb 22, 2015
Lehigh Valley, Pa
Love The North Pole.....sounds so cute. My poor bins are delegated to the not so cozy attic. I have a wrapping station, but I think that may distract from the north pole nook.

Kelly

housewife2

Premiere Member
Aug 3, 2008
va
hey love the north pole idea. sounds cool I need to go thur some of my totes and re organize.

ChristmasPir8

Premiere Member
Nov 8, 2008
La La Land
I think it sounds perfect. I wish I had a big enough space for mine to be organize. I have a crawl space in my closet (runs in the eaves along the side of the house) but I am thankful that as it's crammed full, even if it breaks my back to crawl in there. LOL I lvoe that you sorted and got rid of stuff and organize it.