House & Holidays Plan Week 2: Calendar and Creativity

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

farmerswife

MHH Member
Oct 14, 2007
Central Wisconsin
As we have gutted what was my craft room, this week should be interesting, I have been debating on where to locate the items I will need between now and November when the room should be completed for me to move back into. I know for sure I will need a place to do my December Daily (preset it all) and to make a few crafts for this Christmas, so I will be spending this week trying to figure this out for the HOME part of the plan. As far as the Holiday section, I will be nailing down the final details to travel and schedule plans. Enjoy!

Reactions: aggy

aggy

Santa's Elves
Oct 11, 2007
Baltimore, Maryland
As far as creative spaces go, that's usually my dining room table and my desk area. So those areas are all ready lol.

I have several craft projects I want to do this year, all decoration ideas. I have no supplies so I need to get to the stores and start picking up materials.

My seasonal calendar has been done for weeks. I just update it as needed.

I never travel during the holidays so no planning to do.

I live in an apartment so the furnace, smoke/carbon detectors will be taken care of by management around daylight savings time. I do need to clean the vent to the furnace of dust that has accumulated. I've scheduled to shampoo my carpet in October. I even plan to get my truck ready for the winter.

My shopping list is now in my purse and I have started picking up a few stocking stuffers. Plus I started my holiday layaway at Walmart.

Reactions: farmerswife

happy2bme

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
My Happy Place
Here are my tasks for the week:

Household Checklist:
Assess stored craft materials - done

Holiday Prep Checklist:
create a seasonal calendar - done

start a shopping list - done
review gift lists - done
begin a "Gifts to Make" list - done

Last edited:

tanya

Premiere Member
Jan 8, 2012
I need to go through the craft bits and sort them out.
Im pretty sure that I already have the items needed to make this years items. But need to double check and make a final list.
I want to schedule this time into our calendar- some items DS will want to help with so it needs to be done when he is off school and at home.
I am also doing a few surprise bits for him that I have to get done when he is not around.

There is no travel planned for us this year so nothing to happen there.
I will book the carpets to be cleaned- probably for late November- just before decorations go up. And book the professional window/ door cleaners for mid December. Our windows/ glass doors get hammered with salt from the ocean- professional cleaning really makes a difference. I get it done a couple of times a year- makes it much, much easier for the cleaner to touch it up as needed.

DS is mumbling about some new xbox games that he would like from Santa- Kind of think that he is pretending that Santa is real cause he thinks if he does not pretend then he will not get his Santa gifts! But he keeps changing his mind on which ones he prefers. I have told him that Santa is a busy man and can NOT allow change of mind after a certain date- need to lock that date in and stick to it. ( its just that I want to get them and be done with them or pre-order any that are not yet released)

Seasonal calendar is started- just need to update as dates are set.
Shopping list is started- need to add as I think of items.

Im hoping to move through this week's activities fast then spend some extra time starting my wardrobe- I want to do a massive clean out this year.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
Here's what I hope to get done this week after I get done fooling around with the various fonts and colors. :)

Household

• Declutter Creative Spaces. Sort through gift wrap, ribbon, gift tags, and portable wrapping station. Done
  • Assess Craft Material. Check for enough gift bags, gift boxes, tape, tissue paper for gifts, scissors, and gift tags Done
Holiday Prep
  • Make a seasonal calendar. Transfer dates on paper calendar to Google calendar and vice versa. Done
  • Start a shopping list. Make a gift wrap station shopping list. Make a baked goods shopping list. Make a stocking stuffer shopping list. Done
  • Review gift lists. I’ve got teens and an elementary age child. They can be very hard to surprise. Thinking about adding more “experience” gifts like tubing down the river. Anyone have suggestions for general teen gifts?
  • Begin a "Gifts to Make" list. Trying to figure out if I’ll make cookies for teacher gifts or if I'll buy specialty cookies. Done
Still to do:
  • File the rest of the papers from last week.

Last edited:

ejagno

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Aug 31, 2010
SW Louisiana
Since my office is in my craft/sewing room it works out wonderful for me because I continue my work from last week and finish this room. This is a very tall order since my room is a wreck but I'm looking forward to the challenge.

No travel plans.
Appointments being scheduled.
Shopping 99.9% done.
Schedule craft time to work on crocheted blanket.

Hope everyone is having fun and seeing great progress.

Eaglesax

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
Middle Georgia
Have a basic idea of calendar (similar every year) but will work on getting it down in writing. Just created a desk/craft area with remodel so pretty organized but will work on keeping it that way .

ejagno

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Aug 31, 2010
SW Louisiana
Adrienne, thank you. We are dealing with my terminally ill father in law who now lives with us and I just didn't want to leave anything to chance this year. Last year was a nightmare as we spent most of the holidays in the Critical Care ICU unit out of town. You might say I just bought a little extra holiday insurance this year just in case things go badly again. But to be perfectly honest, I love going into the holidays with a major task nearly completed and one less major thing to have to worry about. I think this just might be my new tradition created out of necessity but enjoyed for years to come. It really was so nice shopping in June with no stress or distractions. I want Christmas to be about home and family and now that's exactly where my focus is.

Today I jumped into the lion's den (craft room) and to the average onlooker it may not look like much was accomplished but I know I was able to accomplish a lot with one outside waste receptacle almost full. Thank goodness I have 3 so the work will continue. Slow and steady wins the race right?

How's everyone else doing?

tanya

Premiere Member
Jan 8, 2012
Yes, Ellen I hear you. Many years ago my darling, gentle Dad was diagnosed with Dementia- 2 weeks before Christmas. The actual diagnosis was a long time coming but it ended with him in a secure facility for the holidays- as he became quote violent- he had never, ever been violent in his life- it was the disease talking not him. I had known for a while that things were not right but it was impossible to get help for him until there was quite a serious episode. Upshot was that I had a 3 nearly 4 year old who was totally confused, very few gifts, no other family, and had to pull off a last minute Santa miracle- along with organising a multitude of things for Dad.

Anyway somehow I managed to pull it together. But since then I swore that I would always be prepared for Christmas.
If I had to I could do Christmas tomorrow- I have enough stashed here to pull it off- would need a trip to the shops for food but could do everything else.

jollykelly

Premiere Member
Feb 22, 2015
Lehigh Valley, Pa
I am looking forward to starting Week 2 today. I am not a "crafty" person so I modify this week to meet my needs a bit. I also do not travel over the holidays, nor do we have overnight guests so I do not have to worry their travel either, so a big check mark in that category. (not real sure if it counts as completed if I don't have to do it, but I am going with the inflated sense of accomplishment anyway!) Here is my list:

Declutter wrapping area - this is actually a bin that I try to keep organized
Assess wrapping supplies - I think that I am pretty good here as I bought a lot with the after Christmas sales next year, but I may need to pick up some tape, and this is a good time with back to school sales
Create a seasonal calendar - This pretty much stays the same year over year, but I will make some tweaks and adjustments, and call the dog groomers to make the December appointment
Start a pantry shopping list - this way I can pick up the non perishables as they go on sale
Create a gift to bake list - I have this list, and it is the same every year, but I want to check my supplies of tins. Last year my mother made a comment that she did not get a Christmas card from me in the mail. I told her that the time I would have spent on the cards I baked her 3 dozen assorted cookies instead, perhaps I should mail her a card and skip her cookies?? I will probably do both since she is my mother (but it is nice to daydream about).

Cindylouwho

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
Ellen and Tanya -- Wow! You are about done? I'm so impressed!! Learning from tough times though. I too am worried about my own father this year and want to get as much as I can done early -- just in case. He is 95 this year. Was hoping to make a dent in the shopping with Labor Day Sales but the discounts were seriously less than impressive. My next shot is end of Sept when fall clearance really kicks in. I'm looking online now for the winter items and fun office supplies. For the big stuff though...the teens will keep changing their minds and I won't have final lists til Thanksgiving. (But I'm pretty good at guessing!)

Meanwhile, does everyone else have a desk full of all the papers that came home from the first day of school yesterday? I got more homework than they did! :)

Here's my list for Week 2:

Holiday:
Fill in the holiday calendar and get everyone synched to it.
Inventory gifts and stash the ones I have buried in the car.
Christmas Recipes reviewed.
No Holiday Travel planned.

Household:
Craft Room
-- Guess I'm going to have to Marie Kondo it. Bracing. Deep breaths.
Drop-offs at Goodwill for outgoing clutter.
Call Chimney Repair -- we got a big crack in it in the Spring.
Start computer overhaul - but this may need to wait til next week. Need uninterrupted time.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
Ellen and Tanya, I understand what you're saying. When my oldest was a year old, my husband got sick and went into the hospital a week before Christmas. It was not the Christmas I expected. I had no idea just how certain things like decorating a tree, making Christmas cookies and being surrounded by family was to me until that Christmas. I did the bare minimum to make me happy with support from my brothers. I was just so glad that I had a few items for my daughter to open on Christmas. She was more thrilled with the wrapping paper than the blocks. But it was a learning experience for me. I decided to have all gifts wrapped and ready by the first week of December in case something like that happened again.

Cindylouwho, it's been a crazy busy back to school week for me too.

• I made my lists and added it to the Google Sheets Master List I did last week.
  • Calendars are up to date
  • The gift wrap station is looking good.
  • After going through this busy week and it's only Thursday, I decided to not make cookies for teacher gifts. I'll just be putting more pressure on myself. I'll buy specialty ones instead.
  • I still need to file papers from last week.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
I went through my craft room area and got it all put back away/back together again! It was major craftermath in there! Between that and the mess caused by pulling out fall decor this weekend it was scary!

But all my tables and my desk are cleared off and ready for the next wave!

Cindylouwho

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
I went through my craft room area and got it all put back away/back together again! It was major craftermath in there! !

Ha! That's GREAT! i'm going to steal that as a new word! "Craftermath" :) That's exactly what I had going on yesterday! Got a ton done in my craft room/mudroom/wrapping station room yesterday. Was SO happy cuz I REALLY did not want to start. More to go but I got the kitchen counter completely cleared too and was so so happy with myself! I've got my car loaded and I'm headed to Goodwill to drop it all off today. Then will come back and do more this weekend - while Im on a roll. I'm trying to be super strict about what I really need and focus on what I really WANT that room to look like. Trying to look past what is there that is still perfectly good and see space for what I WANT to be there. It's a different mindset.

Aunt Jamelle -- I'll be on the freezer threads soon!

happy2bme

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
My Happy Place
I am cutting it close, but my tasks for this week are done.

I have checked through craft supplies and I have everything to make cards and candles.

On the calendar I have written down the dates for the Christmas craft show and Christmas Trade Show and Farmer's Market that we go to every year.

I have reviewed the gift lists as well as started a shopping list.

My gifts to make list is small - I am planning on making candles and doing baking for gifts.

How did everyone do this week?

Cindylouwho

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
(Having technical difficulties with copy and paste here in the website. Posted in the help forum.)

Didn't finish everything but still a very productive Week 2.

Holiday:
Fill in Holiday Calendar -- DONE.

Household:
Craft Room -- DONE. (In Marie Kondo style -- wow -- a LOT gone).
Drop offs - DONE. Given to Salvation Army. (More loaded into car.)
Chimney Repair - SORTA? Work crew showing up this week. Hopefully a look at fireplace too?

Not Done:
Inventory Gifts
Review Recipes
Computer overhaul - but I've started reading up on how to do it.

Will jump on Week 3 when I get a chance. Good job everyone!!

Last edited:

jollykelly

Premiere Member
Feb 22, 2015
Lehigh Valley, Pa
Declutter wrapping area - this is actually a bin that I try to keep organized - DONE
Assess wrapping supplies
- I think that I am pretty good here as I bought a lot with the after Christmas sales next year, but I may need to pick up some tape, and this is a good time with back to school sales -DONE
Create a seasonal calendar
- This pretty much stays the same year over year, but I will make some tweaks and adjustments, and call the dog groomers to make the December appointment - DONE
Start a pantry shopping list - this way I can pick up the non perishables as they go on sale - DONE
Create a gift to bake list - I have this list, and it is the same every year, but I want to check my supplies of tins. Last year my mother made a comment that she did not get a Christmas card from me in the mail. I told her that the time I would have spent on the cards I baked her 3 dozen assorted cookies instead, perhaps I should mail her a card and skip her cookies?? I will probably do both since she is my mother (but it is nice to daydream about). - DONE

WOOHOO!!! I completed all of my week 2 tasks, on to week 3