How is the elve planning coming?

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

HolidayAngelOz

MHH Member
Feb 19, 2009
Usually this forum gets pretty busy around this time of year. Would love to see what everyone is planning on doing with their elves. Ours our coming the day after thanksgiving and staying until christmas eve. Not sure what they are going to do yet- still thinking but I think that my DD elve Snowflake is going to try to go to a daisy girl scout meeting this year :) She wants to be a girl scout to!

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
All I know for now is that they will be arriving Dec 1st.

ChristmasPir8

Premiere Member
Nov 8, 2008
La La Land
I was just thinking of this the other day. I am not sure how to make my arrive this year. Some of the ides from last yr went over well and will be copied but I need to start a list of ideas. last yr. was our first yr and I ran out of ideas not sure how I will make it though a new yr. w/ all new stuff.

liltattoo

MHH Member
Oct 22, 2007
We'll be away for Thanskgiving this year and our Elves usually show up the day after so this year they'll probably be waiting for us when we get back.

Our Reindeer Riding gang will be visiting DH's work again this year so our news blog will be up and running in a few months.

I don't have much planned this year so far but I'll be spending the next couple of weeks planning. As soon as I get it figured out, I'll post my ideas here. Should be interesting...my oldest is in the girl scouts this year and in Kindergarten...we may have to do something for her class.

Snowybear

Retire Member
Oct 15, 2007
This year I am switching things up a bit with the elves. The elves are going to bring with them their new puppy Peppermint, (Webkinz Christmas puppy), so instead of the elves getting into mischief, he is the one that is going to be getting into all sorts of stuff this year. I haven't thought of all the details yet, but I was thinking that the elves would be the first to catch Peppermint, and then leave clues for my kids to find him.

I can't wait to read everyone's plans for this year. I always get so many ideas from everyone here!

LadyEvenstar

Retire Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southeastern PA
I haven't planned too much yet but I do know our elves will be arriving with Reindeer this year. Still not certain exactly when, though.

nicurn92

MHH Member
Sep 25, 2008
a friend of mine bought cotton balls on clearance and is planning a snowball fight and possibly making a snow fort with her elves...

ac moore has a flat wooden elf in the christmas craft section for a buck. I am thinking that my elves are going to be caught painting it (kind of like the giant mickey statues that were at disney and travelled around, or if y'all live in DC, the giant panda statues...)

our Giant (grocery store) has a bunch of the characters from Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer including the dentist elf (all stuffed, 12.99) they were actually pretty cute.

I am getting the barbie van out or maybe some barbie furniture so the elves have someplace to "hang out". :)

not sure what other trouble they will get into yet. One of them will have to come to Dallas with us though, dd has a dance competition there. Might have to knit a little mini scarf or something in the dance school colours for the elf...

Colleen in PA

Retire Member
Aug 20, 2008
This will be our first year, and I haven't planned it all out yet...I'm looking forward to "borrowing" lots of great ideas from all of you veterans out there! I don't know who is going to enjoy this more...the boys or ME?!?

beccaw

Retire Member
Jul 22, 2009
This is our first year as well, and I didn't get any Elves made, so I purchased them from Amazon. They've arrived and I'm very excited! I've got lots of ideas saved from the wonderful stories shared here. I'm hoping to get sleeping bags sewn for them before they arrive on December 1st. I have a feeling the kids will want to sleep with them, so I'll have to be sneaking in late at night to let them out to have a little fun. Can't wait to get started! :)

ChristmasPir8

Premiere Member
Nov 8, 2008
La La Land
I have figured out how they will show up this year. Not positive on the day yet. Last yr it was the day after Thanksgiving and might be the same again this year. Last year (our first year) when we got home from shopping in the afternoon they were in a basked w/ a movie and Santa's letter by the fireplace. This year I hope to take the elves to see Santa one day during the day and take their pict sitting on Santa's lap w/ my camera. I will wrap a box w/ some fake snow in it, the elves, Santa's letter and their pict w/ Santa.
I have a list going and will be repeating some of last year's tricks. I don't have enough ideas to do all new stuff but will just try to change a little how they do it this year from last year. Here are a couple of ideas I have
*Last year their first note they took a pad of mini sticky notes and left notes all over the house on every thing while they explored so I think we will repeat that while they check out what might have changed from last year.
*go fishing in our fish tank
*cook breakfast and burn a waffle in the toaster one in the oven mitt
*go for a fast food run in the van. mabye this time they will bring back breakfast. last year it was a big hit w/ the car almost hitting the tree
*bring a new game-connect 4
*got some pipecleaner animal craft kits on clearance and they will bring/be making those
*I have the Annalee (sp) elves and bought a snowman to show up one day w/ them
*decorate the boys rooms and hall way w/ snowflakes (dollar tree)
*hide out in the freezer

nicurn92

MHH Member
Sep 25, 2008
love the idea of the elves going to see santa. :) might consider that if it's our regular santa... it might not be since the mall tried to fire him last year... (that caused QUITE the uproar...and I think made the national news even... :) clearly we love our santa... :)) also like the fishing idea...

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
I don't do the elf thing, but wanted to share that Michael's had some adorable elf figurines yesterday. I do not sew, so that would be perfect if I decide to do something someday.

enfin

Retire Member
Nov 9, 2008
Spenser will be bringing his girlfriend with him this year! I mean why leave her behind at the cold North Pole while he's vacationing in sunny Az? My elves are a little different since they come to visit my husband, not kids. He has gotten into serious mischief before..partying with the garden gnome in the down stairs fridge (brought a portable keg) ...suffered from a hangover and we found him curled up by the coffee maker with aspirin spilled all over the counter and coffee every where, had a boxing match with the roc em sockem robots, bungee jumped from the rafters, took a ride on the ceiling fan, made "snow angels " in the flour on the counter, this is year 3 so we've done just about everything. I'll be searchin for new ideas.....

rockin_granola

Retire Member
Dec 27, 2007
Go Colts!
www.rockingranola.com
Here are a couple of ideas I have
*Last year their first note they took a pad of mini sticky notes and left notes all over the house on every thing while they explored so I think we will repeat that while they check out what might have changed from last year.
*go fishing in our fish tank
*cook breakfast and burn a waffle in the toaster one in the oven mitt
*go for a fast food run in the van. mabye this time they will bring back breakfast. last year it was a big hit w/ the car almost hitting the tree
*bring a new game-connect 4
*got some pipecleaner animal craft kits on clearance and they will bring/be making those
*I have the Annalee (sp) elves and bought a snowman to show up one day w/ them
*decorate the boys rooms and hall way w/ snowflakes (dollar tree)
*hide out in the freezer

I love these ideas!

I have a question for you seasoned Magic Elf folks ... could I do this without actually having an elf doll or figurine? I was thinking that I could leave evidence of the elf - like footprints in the flour or tiny bite marks in the cookie dough or little messes with perhaps a jingle bell or a small elfin hat left behind? The kids could come across his paperwork and passport? I was thinking about actually mailing the letter from Santa announcing his arrival so the kids would get it in the mailbox, too.

.... would that still work? Or do you think I need to have an actual elf around for the children to spy?

I'd LOVE to do this for my kids this year, but it would need to cost next to nothing on the budget that I have. I thought about making an elf, but then I had to give myself a reality check - with the amount of other projects I'm finishing up and gifts I'm making, this isn't the year for me to add something else.

So, do you think I should wait until next year? Or could I do the Magic Elf this year w/o an actual elf?

Thanks!

nicurn92

MHH Member
Sep 25, 2008
I love these ideas!

I have a question for you seasoned Magic Elf folks ... could I do this without actually having an elf doll or figurine? I was thinking that I could leave evidence of the elf - like footprints in the flour or tiny bite marks in the cookie dough or little messes with perhaps a jingle bell or a small elfin hat left behind? The kids could come across his paperwork and passport? I was thinking about actually mailing the letter from Santa announcing his arrival so the kids would get it in the mailbox, too.

.... would that still work? Or do you think I need to have an actual elf around for the children to spy?

I'd LOVE to do this for my kids this year, but it would need to cost next to nothing on the budget that I have. I thought about making an elf, but then I had to give myself a reality check - with the amount of other projects I'm finishing up and gifts I'm making, this isn't the year for me to add something else.

So, do you think I should wait until next year? Or could I do the Magic Elf this year w/o an actual elf?

Thanks!

you do not need an actual elf. :) you could always use a stuffed animal and say that he/she is a friend of the elves or santa, etc. the first year I did it, I used my very old elephant. just tossed a santa hat on him and made a little sleeping bag... he probably got into more trouble than the elves would have. :)

ChristmasPir8

Premiere Member
Nov 8, 2008
La La Land
you could definatly do it w/o the elf if budget does not allow. Make the story personal to you. Mine is that we have 3 elves that are brothers (we have 3 sons) and they are here while their mom and dad are extra busy during Christmas season. This is their vacation from elf school right now. Maybe you can send a letter from Santa and it say something about how to watch out b/c some of his elves seem to be getting into trouble in people houses while they are doing some second checking on the kids on Satna's list. Something like that. Or send a little glitter in a bag from santa telling the kids that it's special North Pole dust and if they sprinkle it over thier favorite stuffed animal (one each or how every many you want) then at night they can wake up and explore until 12/25 when the magic ends intil next year. Be creative there is no hard fast rules and you can make this what works best for you.