How many trick or treaters?

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com
I have noticed the number of children each year in my area is smaller and smaller, this year was the smallest I have ever had - only 30 trick or treaters.

How many for you?:ghost:

LadyEvenstar

Retire Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southeastern PA
I think we had about 30 or so but that has been the usual number for our neighborhood in recent years. My favorite was a little boy who was dressed as Agent P (Perry the Platypus) from Phineas and Ferb.

candysprinkles

Retire Member
Jan 29, 2011
Indiana
We live in a rural area and haven't ever stayed home for Halloween. I'm pretty sure we wouldn't have any trick or treaters. We take the kids to the nearby town where their school is to TorT and to their grandparents, aunts and uncles, etc. But, my MIL has less and less kids each year. Last year she had 5 and this year only 3! She lives right in town, but it is a very small town...no school or businesses, just a post office and two churches. We used to trick or treat around her neighborhood. But, more and more people don't have their lights on there.

Tonight we went to SILs neighborhood (she moved a couple of months ago.) Nearly every house had their lights on and each house was giving plenty of candy. It is outside of town far enough that there aren't a huge number of kids--too far to walk from town or the school. Most of the houses tend to hand out treat bags instead of just a piece or two like they do in town where they might have 50 or 100 kids. Just guessing by the people I saw walking around the neighborhood, each house probably had between 15 and 20 kids. SIL had 8, but she walked around with us for a while before she turned her light on.

Winged One

Retire Member
Sep 2, 2008
Fluttering happily in the clouds!!
The numbers were way down this year, but it's a bank holiday here and the start of mid-term from school so I think a lot were away. We got about 25 callers, when we'd often have 60+.

We had the neighbours from #1 in afterwards (our 3 kids go around together) and I cooked chicken nuggets and chips for the kids (so they'd have something less "mucky" to eat than just candy) and chicken curry (from a jar of sauce) for the grown ups. We had all only arrived home in late afternoon from weekends away and dinner hadn't really been thought about in either house.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
138! And I closed the lights at 7:30 - no more candy.
Way up this year.

SIL called she ran out of candies too, she ended up giving granola bars and small bags of cookies after she ran out of candy. She had to close the lights too.

Lots of spidermen, batman & superman for the boys. Witches & princesses for the girls. Dniece was the only Indian I saw.

housewife2

Premiere Member
Aug 3, 2008
va
i only had 1 this year. i think alot went to the church. i have alot of candy to eat. yummy!!!!!!

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
We had more than 300. Our area is LOADED with kids! The local elementary school had diminishing population about 15 years ago..... then..... the neighborhood "turned over". Lots of retired people moved away and new families with little children started moving in! The local elementary school is now building additions to double the school, in size!

AND.... I put Halloween decorations outside.... during the month of October. PLUS.... we have a wonderful "street party" from 3:00 to 6:00... so the kids are already in their costumes.... and outside with their parents.... ready to start trick-or-treating!!!!

xmasbug

Retire Member
Sep 9, 2011
Trick or Treaters

We live in a newer community, two years ago, I had bought enough candy for about 100 kids (the norm in our old neighbourhood) we had 10 tricker or treaters, last year I bought the same amount since the neighbourhood had more than doubled over the year and I got 30. So this year, I bought enough candy for about 60 trick or treaters and we ended up having over 100!!!

It was nice to see all those kids running around having a great time.

Rachel

sierra_mtns

Retire Member
Oct 9, 2011
When the legislature changed Nevada Day from October 31st to the last Saturday of October, we went from 200 kids down to less than 4 dozen. Everyone used to trick or treat on the 30th in Carson City (because no one wanted kids trick or treating on Nevada Day because of all the drunks at the parade and afterward -- schools, state offices, etc. were closed on the 31st too), so we would get kids from Reno and Minden/Gardnerville because they could trick or treat two nights, the 30th in Carson City and the 31st in their town.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Sounds like some legislators didn't look into this change very well. Putting kids in danger. Shame on them even if it happens only once in awhile.

We had 5 here in 3 groups. Last year it surged up to 8 so we are down in numbers. No one had any really cute outfits. All were in cars who were just stopping at houses that had porch lights on.

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
We're in a rural area, so we had none. What I've noticed over the years is that fewer and fewer houses in our former neighborhood were passing out treats. The last Hallo we had there, there was about 1 in every 5 with a light on. I know the larger, wealthier areas have a lot of t or t patrons...my friend gives out 300 treats in her development.

Colleen in PA

Retire Member
Aug 20, 2008
We had only about a third of our usual numbers...about 40. Of course, I failed to account for the fact that the last three years were on a weekend when I purchased our treats! In our neighborhood there are 3 houses that usually have large parties (adults & children) and they tend to trick-or-treat in very large groups...none of those parties happened this year - or at least they weren't last night. We had a number of transformers, several princesses and my favorite, a big yellow chicken!

We took DS2 to 4 homes to see our neighbors very early (about 5:45) - he was more interested in petting their dogs than treats and he and I were home to answer the door by 6. DS6 and DH continued on to about 8 more houses and came back with a TON of candy...people were basically giving out handfuls in anticipation of a slow night.

yummy-mummy-amy

Retire Member
Dec 8, 2008
cambs, UK
last year we had about 15kids come round and that was it and my house was lit up like a christmas tree!

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
A LOT does depend…. on how many, well-lighted houses are NEAR your house! Kids do not like to walk down dark streets…. to reach one lone house…. promising candy. Last year, all the houses on one side of us were dark….. and we had many fewer children, than usual for Halloween.

We usually have about 150 kids. Last year…. less than half that many.

tanya

Premiere Member
Jan 8, 2012
Halloween is gaining in popularity in Australia. In total I have had only 1 trick or treater ever!Some areas near me it is getting bigger, with lots of decorations around. In my area, nothing much. Some of the local schools have a Halloween Disco night. The kids get dressed up and go to school for a night of supervised fun. It is used as a fundraiser. This year DS will go with the girls next door to a thing at their school.

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
We usually have between 100 to 150 kids. Some years less depending on the weather. We get kids from other neighborhoods/town coming to ours to trick or teat.

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
I wish we had 100+ trick or treaters. More and more of my neighbors turn off their lights. and I'm at the end of the block,so it does keep kids away!

happy2bme

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
My Happy Place
We moved to the city this past summer, so have no idea how many kids we will get.

We live in the northern most corner of the city and are surrounded by construction, so not sure if anyone will bother coming this way.

Our neighborhood doesn't seem to have many kids, but I will have lots of candy - just in case.